C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 AM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure a seal puller will work with the crank in the way, but I'll try it.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyLSX
Could you please explain what checking the interference is and its importance, I plan on installing an ATI, thanks.
The inside diameter of the hub is actually smaller than the outside diameter of the crankshaft. Don't recall the actual number range but it is approximately 0.0003 inches. However, ATI does specify a range and if out of the range you need to have the hub honed to correct if it is too small. This is the reason for pressing into place.

The other critical thing is the bolt tightness and installation procedure. This drives the hub into the oil pump drive to help keep the hub from spinning on the crankshaft.
The following users liked this post:
jimmyLSX (02-11-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 11:41 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
Although there are a lot of really good balancers like ATI that are rated and approved for racing, they are pretty expensive.

I did not want the stock AC balancer since they fail so often. My stock one failed at 30k miles.

I went with the stock replacement Powerbond one. At Oreilly's it is about $100. I put it on and there was zero wobble and no more belt chirping. I drove it for 3 or 4 years before I sold the car and it was still spinning true with no wobble when I sold it.

I also went with an ARP bolt since I wanted a conventional reusable bolt that can be torqued normally instead of the one time use torque plus angle OEM bolt.

Like Vettenuts said make sure to use an installer tool (or make one) so you don't damage the crank threads.

Good luck.
I'm just now getting started on the HB swap, but I was curious about your statement "torque plus angle OEM bolt"? Could you explain that as compared to the ARP bolt? Thanks!!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 04:53 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theoldmusicman
I'm just now getting started on the HB swap, but I was curious about your statement "torque plus angle OEM bolt"? Could you explain that as compared to the ARP bolt? Thanks!!!!
OEM bolt is tightened by first seating the bolt to a certain torque measurement (37 lb/ft), then final tightening to a certain torque angle (140 deg?)

ARP bolt is just tightened to a torque measurement (~240 lb/ft - depends what lube is on the bolt)

The OEM bolt stretches past the point of elasticity (torque to yield) at it's final setting which is why it can't be reused. ARP bolt I'm assuming is made of a stronger material that doesn't stretch as much when it's tightened to the appropriate clamping force.

ARP bolt is nearly 10x the cost of OEM bolt... I went with the OEM one as I don't anticipate needing to pull my crank pully that many times and a quality torque wrench that I'd trust to be accurate to 250 lb/ft is much more expensive than a breaker bar + angle gauge.
theoldmusicman (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by theoldmusicman
To use the OE bolt, you're going to need yet ANOTHER tool to install it. It's called a torque angle gauge.
Using the ARP bolt eliminates the need for that.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

ARP bolts are way too expensive for a guy that's not planning on pulling the balancer off on a regular basis. The OEM bolt is cheap and it's easy to use. Torque it to 37 lbs ft and make a vertical line on the head of the bolt with a piece of chalk or a crayon. Then turn the bolt with a long breaker bar until the line has rotated to just before the 5 O'clock position and you're done. Job done, no angle meter needed.

Last edited by tbrowne; 03-09-2016 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
ARP bolts are way too expensive for a guy that's not planning on pulling the balancer off on a regular basis. The OEM bolt is cheap and it's easy to use. Torque it to 37 lbs ft and make a vertical line on the head of the bolt with a piece of chalk or a crayon. Then turn the bolt with a long breaker bar until the line has rotated to just before the 5 O'clock position and you're done. Job done, no angle meter needed.
This is true, however since workspace is somewhat limited in there, the ARP bolt makes the job easier. Thread in the bolt, torque it to 240 ft/lbs and you're finished.....
Old 03-09-2016, 08:56 AM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
OMG NO. DO NOT DO THIS.

The factory bolt it torque-to-yield. It's a 1 time use bolt. Just like the head bolts.

The reason they specify an angle is because you're turning the bolt past the point of permanent deformation. Turning to a specified angle stretches the non-threaded portion of the bolt. This is permanent and alters dimensions and composition of the steel on a microscopic level.

The ARP bolt is $34 ****ing dollars. If you can't spring $34 for an engine critical component then you're in the wrong hobby.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

That's BS. You're merely stretching the bolt to ensure it's properly torqued. Yes, you do need a new $5.00 bolt. Torque to yield is used because it has proved to be a more accurate way to ensure bolts are properly fastened. There a so many variables when torquing a bolt with a torque wrench that a great many bolts are never properly torqued and that creates its own problems. If the bolt was severely weakened, why would the GM Service Manual say to use the old bolt to seat the new balancer and then torque it to 240 lbs ft? If the bolt were greatly weakened it wouldn't withstand that much torque.
The following 2 users liked this post by tbrowne:
Dutch08 (03-10-2016), theoldmusicman (03-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer