C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunning

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:37 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Tunning

Never had a car tuned before
Do you tune the car just when you change or add something?
Or should I have it tuned just because its never been tuned.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by sloopdawg
Never had a car tuned before
Do you tune the car just when you change or add something?
Or should I have it tuned just because its never been tuned.
A tuner will say GM leaves some horse power in the PCM !!!! Usually if add something, CAI , headers, etc. then they recommend a tune !!!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Thanks man
Just wasn't sure if tuning was needed periodically
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Tuning on a stock car will not get you much HP for the cost. Even a change to the air intake isn't going to be worth it (perhaps the Vararam is an exception). If you add something like LT headers, heads/cam, supercharger, etc., then a tune would really be a good idea.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Depends... I added the Vararam CAI, and Ti cat back exhaust, and had a Chuck CoW Street Tune... WOW what a difference! And ours is a 6 speed... NOW if you have an AUTOMATIC they can do EVEN MORE with the tune and create a whole new animal for your enjoyment for a minimal amount of dollars... I would do it again and glad I spent the money I did on ours...

Depending on mileage, driving habits, conditions, climate, etc one might consider a tune without any upgrades or mods just to make sure things are as good as they can be...but, shouldn't need to be done on a regular basis.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 04-19-2016 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (04-30-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Most people think of tuning for making more horsepower, yet the biggest advantage for proper tuning is horsepower under the WOT. A good tuner will make positive changes so you will have better acceleration, remove the DBW lag, increase the efficiency of the motor at all RPM levels, etc. When tuning the PCM, you elevation levels play greatly in how they will tune the car as well as the quality of gasoline. If you have the original O2's they slow down as they get covered with the alcohol content of the gas. Remember, in 1995-1996 when the final testing was completed, most areas were running without ethanol added. GM never took into account the effects the ethanol had on the O2's. Replacing them alone may require a change in you tune.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 73Corvette

73Corvette

Depends... I added the Vararam CAI, and Ti cat back exhaust, and had a Chuck CoW Street Tune... WOW what a difference! And ours is a 6 speed... NOW if you have an AUTOMATIC they can do EVEN MORE with the tune and create a whole new animal for your enjoyment for a minimal amount of dollars... I would do it again and glad I spent the money I did on ours...

Depending on mileage, driving habits, conditions, climate, etc one might consider a tune without any upgrades or mods just to make sure things are as good as they can be...but, shouldn't need to be done on a regular basis.

GORDY M

Most people think of tuning for making more horsepower, yet the biggest advantage for proper tuning is horsepower under the WOT. A good tuner will make positive changes so you will have better acceleration, remove the DBW lag, increase the efficiency of the motor at all RPM levels, etc. When tuning the PCM, you elevation levels play greatly in how they will tune the car as well as the quality of gasoline. If you have the original O2's they slow down as they get covered with the alcohol content of the gas. Remember, in 1995-1996 when the final testing was completed, most areas were running without ethanol added. GM never took into account the effects the ethanol had on the O2's. Replacing them alone may require a change in you tune.

WHAT are your immediate goals for the car and what future plans do you have to MODIFICATIONS?

If you do NOT plan on adding any significant bolt on mods, why not get the PCM tuned?? The PCM is tuned by GM for a VERY WIDE set of driving conditions.
The tuner can make the PCM work more precise for your car and your driving conditions and he will remove / delete some of the NANNYS that GM incorporates into the tune to prevent you from having all the fun that your engine can provide!

You will see a difference in the way the engine runs/performs and economy should improve slightly. I also use Chuck COW (Corvettes of Westchester) and have been VERY HAPPY with his work. The Throttle enhancements that he makes is worth the money!

Like previously stated, If you have an Automatic Trans, there are a LOT more tuning benefits to be had over tuning for a MN6/MN12 Manual trans!

NOTE! Grody M mentioned O2 Sensor replacement. YES!!! I whole heartily AGREE! If you are going to have your PCM tuned, Change out the primary O2 Sensors, clean the MAF and Throttle Body, make sure that the air filter is new and if you don't know the conditions of plugs and wires, install some new AC Iridium plugs and GM RED Performance wires.

IF,,,,,, You plan on making some minor or even major modifications in the near future, I would RECOMMEND making those mods and then getting the PCM tuned! ANY modifications that you make to the engine between the MAF and the CATs will change the PCM Tuning requirements!! SOME very slight and some significantly (i.e. CAM, Headers ect..)
Chuck CoW (04-30-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Thanks Guys
The car is an Auto and has never been tuned to my knowledge
Right now just enjoying the experence
In the future (probably winter) would like to replace the Rearend with the 3.42
Maybe start and go from there
So for now maybe replace the o2s' and fuel filter (100k and neither have ever been changed)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Thanks Guys
So for now maybe replace the o2s' and fuel filter (100k and neither have ever been changed)
Might want to pull, and clean the radiator and A/C condenser, and clean the MAF while your at it...have fun
Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks Guys
SLOOP
Just a reminder.... If you change the differential gearing,, You have to tune the PCM to get the transmission shift points back in step. So, plan on that.

BC
Chuck CoW (04-30-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:20 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Gottcha'
Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Give me a ring...

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
SLOOP
Just a reminder.... If you change the differential gearing,, You have to tune the PCM to get the transmission shift points back in step. So, plan on that.

BC
Hey there. Give me a ring. I'm back from my trip and ready for ACTION!

No matter what car you have or what you want to spend, I"ll get you into something that will fit your

budget and really make a big difference in your car.

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Tunning

Quick Reply: Tunning