C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable Top: 02 C5 STUCK shut

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM
brazilianvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removable Top: 02 C5 STUCK shut

Hello,

Maybe you know how to solve this problem. The roof top on my C5 has 3 latches, left and right (front) and ONE in the center, that lock the rear part of the removable glass top. In order to release that latch, there is a little flap. Well, that flap does absolutely nothing, it just moves without unlocking anything. I am wondering if there is a way to work with it to unlock it. Otherwise, my roof top is stuck shut. I don't know what to pry or push in order to get it to unlock. Do I have to remove the interior trim to get to it and try to romove it to inspect? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Hello, here a few pics of my transparent roof panel that has been on my car twice….because I bake in the car…I prefer the painted roof panel as is provides me shade from the sun.
The below pic shows the rear roof latch in the locked and unlocked position.
Since you latch does no flick down when you push in the front tab on the latch you may have one of two of the following conditions;
1. The spring in the latch may be broken.
2. The latch is adjusted incorrectly and there is a large tension load (stress) on the latch.
I suspect that number two maybe your issue and you may want to proceed as follows;
Make sure the car is parked on level ground to eliminate any chance on torsion stress between the windshield from and the rear body hoop.
Completely put left and right door windows down and fully open both left and right doors
Unlatch both front roof latches first.
If you have big “paws” like I do, use your thumb to depress the forward latch and HOLD it in and depressed, now using your fore finger and middle or “F” finger, get it up under the edge of the rear latch and pull the back edge of the latch down. If you don’t have big “paws”, then you get the concept, depress the front of the latch and hold IN, fingers under the rear or back edge of the latch and pull down, which may take some effort to unlatch.
Note>>either way to work on or access the rear latch, the roof panel has to be removed from the car. The two screws in red must be removed from the roof panel to remove the trim around the latch for latch replacement.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Goose
Old 05-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I bought a solid top for my car, I installed it and had the same problem - the rear latch would not unlatch. I did as mentioned above in item 2 and it worked. Then I loosened the set screw that holds the hook tight, unscrewed the hook a bit (which removes some of the tension when the latch is secured) and that enabled the latch to work just fine. You may have to adjust it several times to get just the right tension on the top.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 AM
brazilianvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved. Thank YOU!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Removable Top: 02 C5 STUCK shut

Quick Reply: Removable Top: 02 C5 STUCK shut