C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack boot replacement - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:05 PM
MLacroix
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Steering rack boot replacement - HELP

OK, I apologize for asking what is probably an easy question for an experienced mechanic, but I am not that. I am replacing the steering rack boot on the drivers side as it had come loose from the rack end and self-destructed. Taking the tie rod apart and getting the remnants of the old boot off was not very difficult, but putting the new boot on has been a nightmare. The rack end (big end) is exactly the same diameter as the rack end it has to go over. Ordinarily that would not be a major issue IF you could get your hands on both sides of the problem (rack and boot). However, the working area only allows the ends of my fingers in and that does not provide the leverage necessary to force the boot over the rack end. Here's the nut, does anyone have a successful method for getting the boot end over the rack end? I have spent two solid hours pushing, twisting, sweating, trying to get the boot over the rack end with ZERO success.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:07 PM
AllVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem trying to put on a boot from NAPA. After several hours of trying I gave up and got an OEM one from the dealer (for about $60) and it went on easily.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by MLacroix
OK, I apologize for asking what is probably an easy question for an experienced mechanic, but I am not that. I am replacing the steering rack boot on the drivers side as it had come loose from the rack end and self-destructed. Taking the tie rod apart and getting the remnants of the old boot off was not very difficult, but putting the new boot on has been a nightmare. The rack end (big end) is exactly the same diameter as the rack end it has to go over. Ordinarily that would not be a major issue IF you could get your hands on both sides of the problem (rack and boot). However, the working area only allows the ends of my fingers in and that does not provide the leverage necessary to force the boot over the rack end. Here's the nut, does anyone have a successful method for getting the boot end over the rack end? I have spent two solid hours pushing, twisting, sweating, trying to get the boot over the rack end with ZERO success.
Have you tried hot water yet?
Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 PM
StancyPants
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

My boot has torn so I've ordered another one. Just want to prepare myself for the replacement. Basically take of the wheel, unbolt the tie rod end, remove tie rod end, replace boot, put everything back together? What do you have to do to make sure the tie rod end is installed at the same setting? I just had the car alignment done and don't want to have to do it again.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:54 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by StancyPants
My boot has torn so I've ordered another one. Just want to prepare myself for the replacement. Basically take of the wheel, unbolt the tie rod end, remove tie rod end, replace boot, put everything back together? What do you have to do to make sure the tie rod end is installed at the same setting? I just had the car alignment done and don't want to have to do it again.
Loosen the jam nut and count the number of turns it takes to remove the tie rod end. Take note as to what position the tie rod tip is located ( use the clock face for reference ) when it comes off the shaft. When reinstalling the tie rod , start the threading at the same position it came off..... Example: if the tie rod comes off with the tip at the 10 o click position, start threading back on with the tip at the 10 o clock position.
It will get you in the ballpark but it probably will have to go back for a toe adjustment.
The following users liked this post:
StancyPants (12-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 06:23 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I have used a hair drier to warm up rubber boots successfully. The rack is a particularly hard to get a heat source into but give it a try. I always lube the area where the boot slides on the rack as well.

Good luck with your repair.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:04 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Loosen the jam nut and count the number of turns it takes to remove the tie rod end. Take note as to what position the tie rod tip is located ( use the clock face for reference ) when it comes off the shaft. When reinstalling the tie rod , start the threading at the same position it came off..... Example: if the tie rod comes off with the tip at the 10 o click position, start threading back on with the tip at the 10 o clock position.
It will get you in the ballpark but it probably will have to go back for a toe adjustment.
Just loosen the jam nut, then hit the threaded part of the inner tie rod with some paint. Replace boot. Upon reassembly, just thread the outer tie rod up to the paint marking and re-jam.

Last edited by huesmann; 12-24-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering rack boot replacement - HELP

Quick Reply: Steering rack boot replacement - HELP