C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belt retractor rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Seat belt retractor rebuild?

My retractors seem to be a little weak, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to rebuild them? Lets time I tried to mess with one, it didn't turn out so well. I've done some searching and it seems everyone replies with getting a good used one or buying new. I hate to go used, as for a 2000 it might just end up the same, and naturally I'm hoping to avoid buying new ones. I'm hoping there might just be some crud that can be cleaned and a good relube in the critical parts might do the trick.

Has anyone tackled this before with good results?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2017, 02:58 AM
C422
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize this thread is old, but since there was never a response, I feel like it could be useful if anyone comes across this post in the future.

Because of the placement of the lower retractor, dirt and crap gets in the reel with the seat belt itself. If you take the retractor off, you and completely unwind the seat belt, push the belt through a bit, pop the plastic pin out of the end of the belt and remove the belt (note, don't let it retract from there. It's a PITA to rewind). Wash the belt, let it air dry overnight, push it back through, and pin it back in place.

In the event THAT doesn't work, there's a clock spring on the one side of the retractor. You can tighten that a turn by poking a hole with a screwdriver through the center cap's sticker cover (and put tape over it later) and turning it tighter.

That said, if yours is like mine, a leak at the rear of the window had rusted the spring itself. My spring is currently sitting in front of me in at LEAST a dozen pieces with rust dust everywhere.

Currently trying to decide if I get a new spring (good friends with a tool and die maker who could get me a spring to spec), or if I'm going to replace the unit. It seems to me that SOMEONE should make this stupid spring, however.

Quick Reply: Seat belt retractor rebuild?