C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security is killing me. No start

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security is killing me. No start

My 04 had been having its moments of showing the security light but would eventually start. Now it's been stranded a week at my girlfriends house. The car won't crank and the security light is on. I took hptuners and disabled the cats and the car still won't start and I have the light still. I don't understand. I've tried charging the battery more and even disconnecting the battery a few hours.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:41 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Need a bit more info please. "Won't start" is a system of something wrong obviously. Can you give some more specifics? Does the starter engage and turn the engine over? Do you get nothing at all when you turn the key? Can you hear the fuel pump for 2 seconds when you turn the key to the ON position? Failing battery, low battery, dirty key pellet, and bad ignition switch are the most common causes of your no-start issue. Work with the guys here and we'll get to the end of it pretty quickly. But just need a little bit more info. Security light is normally a VATS issue but a low or bad battery can cause the same issue.

Last edited by CactusCat; 08-04-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You need to read the DTCs that are stored in the computer using the car INTERNAL DTCs reader!

IF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You have a VATS Issue, the car is nothing more than a lawn ornament until you get it fixed!

You MUST solve the issue. Normally, its caused by the ignition switch VATs Sensor on the end of the ignition switch key cylinder not reading the small resistor chip embedded in your key.

Either clean the chip or use the spare key and see if it will resolve the security issue.

The VATS Sensor its self can also be bad. There are TWO wires that go to the sensor. One is a 5VDC reff voltage and the other is the signal wire that supplies the signal to the BCM. The BCM MUST receive that signal to allow the engine to start. If you continuously try to start the engine and don't have the proper VATs signal, the BCM will completely lock you out for a 15 min period. (It think its 15 min.. It might even be 30 min)

Reading the DTCs will tell us where you need to go next to resolve the issue!

Please post them

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 08-04-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:01 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I'll assume you meant VATS and not cats...

After setting the option in HP Tuners to NONE did you both SAVE the change and then UPLOAD it????

I agree with BC that you need to post ALL your codes......
The cats was my stupid phone. I set the security to none and uploaded the tune. The security light stays on in the car. The fuel pump primes when i flash the car with hptuners not sure about the key. But its a no crank issue. The starter doesn't even engage. I tried sanding the chip in the key (resistor) I haven't tried the other key but I thought when I disabled it with hptuners it would fire right up. And I did definatily flash the tune without vats into the car. Still no crank. All the starter wires seemed fine feeling around with my hand. The car just won't crank and the security light stays on.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:44 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
The cats was my stupid phone. I set the security to none and uploaded the tune. The security light stays on in the car. The fuel pump primes when i flash the car with hptuners not sure about the key. But its a no crank issue. The starter doesn't even engage. I tried sanding the chip in the key (resistor) I haven't tried the other key but I thought when I disabled it with hptuners it would fire right up. And I did definatily flash the tune without vats into the car. Still no crank. All the starter wires seemed fine feeling around with my hand. The car just won't crank and the security light stays on.
I've also used a battery charger on it to build it up and nothing. Not even a click from the starter. Shouldn't turning the vats off with hptuners correct it. It has to be the security. What if I leave the key on 10 minutes and see if it'll disable it. I know the older buicks would kick the light after 10 min with the key on.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've also used a battery charger on it to build it up and nothing. Not even a click from the starter. Shouldn't turning the vats off with hptuners correct it. It has to be the security. What if I leave the key on 10 minutes and see if it'll disable it. I know the older buicks would kick the light after 10 min with the key on.
You have two of the best troubleshooters on this forum helping you. If you do what they ask, you most likely fix your problem.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:37 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If it doesn`t even crank then you`re not dealing with a VATS issue. You have a starter circuit issue to trace. Start at the ignition switch...
Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If the fuel pump primes, try this:

Put car out of gear! Chock front wheels! NOTE/WARNING! If the transmission is NOT out of gear, your car will start and drive off by its self!!!! Ignition switch in the RUN position.

Passengers foot well, above the BCM there will be two relays. One has FOUR WIRES (RED, PURPLE, Yellow & Yellow/black stripe ) Use a wire or paperclip and jumper the RED & Purple wire.

The STARTER should immediately crank the engine. If not, see if you have constant battery voltage on the RED WIRE to ground.

If you have battery voltage on the RED WIRE, the starter/solenoid/wiring at solenoid is not working.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 08-06-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:07 AM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

I got it running. I just tried the other key and it fired right up. Still the other key won't start the car and thats with VATS turned off in the tune. How is that logical? I'm trading the car in this week.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:52 PM
nitrouspaul
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

and so bill if there ISNT power at the red wire then its the ign switch?

Get notified of new replies

To Security is killing me. No start

Quick Reply: Security is killing me. No start