C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog oil gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM
DNT3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analog oil gauge

Took the '98 in to a Corvette shop to replace an oil sending unit when the analog and digital were at zero. They replaced the sending unit but only the digital works--analog still at zero. They said I would have to replace the entire instrument cluster (if they could find one). Evidently you can't just open it up and replace the analog oil pressure gauge.
Has anyone heard this before or am I getting scammed?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2016, 11:53 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
My guess is that the connector that plugs onto the sensor may have damaged wires or the sensor itself is bad.

I would start with the simple problem before laying out big $$$ for a cluster and installation............. Especially since that is where the changes were made.....
or maybe a wrong sensor ???
Old 10-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There is no ANALOG pressure gage in your IPC. ALL the gages are ELECTRIC GAGES and get their inputs from the PCM. You have a digital pressure that displays in the DIC and you have a Oil Pressure GAGE inside the IPC but, its is an ELECTRICALLY DRIVEN DISPLAY!

IF, the ANALOG Gage is not working, you need to remove the IPC, disassemble the IPC and see if the electric gage is properly connected to the ribbon cable inside the cluster or the ribbon is properly plugged into the connector on the mother board. .

You could also have a bad gage in the IPC

Bill.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There is no ANALOG pressure gage in your IPC. ALL the gages are ELECTRIC GAGES and get their inputs from the PCM. You have a digital pressure that displays in the DIC and you have a Oil Pressure GAGE inside the IPC but, its is an ELECTRICALLY DRIVEN DISPLAY!

IF, the ANALOG Gage is not working, you need to remove the IPC, disassemble the IPC and see if the electric gage is properly connected to the ribbon cable inside the cluster or the ribbon is properly plugged into the connector on the mother board. .

You could also have a bad gage in the IPC

Bill.

Bill could we have that in English ???

Just Kidding !!!
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I had an "analog" oil pressure gauge in a car once, can't imagine they have been supplied on many cars from the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To Analog oil gauge

Quick Reply: Analog oil gauge