C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2003 owner, question about some issues with the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 2003 owner, question about some issues with the car

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a black 2003 with 186k miles I know the owner and that it was well taken care of. But there are some issues:

1. service abs, service traction control, service xxxxx comes up when the car is running...it runs fine, but I'm wondering if I'm looking at a computer issue since all this wouldn't go wrong at once. If so, which computer am I looking at?

2. HUD will not move up/down. It works, I can see it if I look from a high enough angle. I see that is a common issue with the plastic gearing. Is it better to try to fix it or just get a replacement?

3. Brakes are horrible at low speeds, almost like warped rotors but wondering if number 1 could be causing ABS to do some shenanigans.

4. Power windows...not smooth at all, sometimes gets stuck going up or down.

5. Is there any way to tighten down these panels in the car. Every one of them seems to rattle

I know lots of issues, and I know what I was getting into to, but I bought it for a project car and got a damn good price based on blue book. Some of this stuff I feel comfortable doing being a car audo /electronics tech back in the day but a lot of it I'd just rather pay to make sure it's done right.

Any info is appreciated.
Andy
Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

1. service abs, service traction control, service xxxxx comes up when the car is running...it runs fine, but I'm wondering if I'm looking at a computer issue since all this wouldn't go wrong at once. If so, which computer am I looking at?

You need to pull your codes...
This file will show you how and what they mean
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C5 DTC Codes.pdf (1,000.3 KB, 243 views)
The following users liked this post:
trudesea (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by trudesea
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a black 2003 with 186k miles I know the owner and that it was well taken care of. But there are some issues:

2. HUD will not move up/down. It works, I can see it if I look from a high enough angle. I see that is a common issue with the plastic gearing. Is it better to try to fix it or just get a replacement?

3. Brakes are horrible at low speeds, almost like warped rotors but wondering if number 1 could be causing ABS to do some shenanigans.

4. Power windows...not smooth at all, sometimes gets stuck going up or down.

5. Is there any way to tighten down these panels in the car. Every one of them seems to rattle

I know lots of issues, and I know what I was getting into to, but I bought it for a project car and got a damn good price based on blue book. Some of this stuff I feel comfortable doing being a car audo /electronics tech back in the day but a lot of it I'd just rather pay to make sure it's done right.

Any info is appreciated.
Andy
abs is possibly the ebcm, common problem, need to diagnose but those needing to be repaired is a common problem

2. i know of no way to repair the hud without replacement. there might be? but i have only heard of pulling one from a donor car and replacing

3. brakes could be crap pads, sticky calipers, air in the lines {highly possible} this also will be a problem with the abs issue and lastly wheelbearings on the way out

4 power windows are another common issue. tracks get sticky and burn up the motors. happens a lot. replace and grease

5. no on the panels. cars left in the sun and driven over a lot of rough roads distort and rattle. there is no fix without a ton of time and dynamat, even that won't cure the fitment problem

if you paid 9-10k for the car it is what it is but you probably have a few thousand dollars in repairs if you really start looking at the car.

kind of hate to say it but imo that's not a well taken care of car. a well taken care of car has no issues, isn't rattling and drives and performs similar to new. it's possible for a c5 to be like this at 168k although i will be the first to admit it's extremely rare to find one

Last edited by racebum; 10-19-2016 at 07:00 PM.
trudesea (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

On the Hud read thru this thread... Just a thought
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-display.html
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

I guess what I mean by well take care of is drivetrain wise, he didn't track it, changed the oil, fluids etc on a proper maintenance schedule...and the interior looks like new...it was always parked in the garage. But yeah I personally couldn't stand codes being thrown on my car....all these codes are recent and he did not drive the car much the last 6 months, maybe once a week.

I gave 7k for it as I'm having so much fun in a divorce right now and needed a car....why not a vette? lol. Not ready for anything new now...newer vette in a couple years.

Ok, here are the codes coming up. I reset all the codes then went for a drive, making sure I did some mixed driving. Lots of TCS codes

PCM P1689 HC
HVAC B0361 H and B0441 H
TCS
C1241 H C
C1248 H
C1265 H
C1266 H
C1267 H
C1268 H
C1276 H C
Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Clear all the codes and take it for a drive
Pull the codes Before you shut it off

Last edited by Smoken1; 10-19-2016 at 07:47 PM.
trudesea (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Smoken1
On the Hud read thru this thread... Just a thought
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-display.html
thank you, that is well worth a try before buying a donor HUD
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Smoken1
Clear all the codes and take it for a drive
Pull the codes Before you shut it off

Beat you to it
Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

8VETTE7 is one of the Guru's here listen to him
Old 10-19-2016, 08:01 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Let us know where you are located. There may be a member that can help diagnose and repair the issues you are experiencing.

If you are in the LA, CA area let me know I would be willing to give a hand with the repairs.

Gary
trudesea (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

Hey guys, I cleared and then took a mixed drive and posted the codes up in a previous post
Old 10-19-2016, 08:06 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
Let us know where you are located. There may be a member that can help diagnose and repair the issues you are experiencing.

If you are in the LA, CA area let me know I would be willing to give a hand with the repairs.

Gary
Thanks Gary that's very cool and nice of you, but I'm on the other side of the country, Dacula GA about 45 min NE of Atl.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

HVAC B0361 H and B0441 H
While you repair the HUD problem you can take care of the actuator's also
trudesea (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Just going to toss this out there...I have a HUD unit that I repaired the broken pivot pins, replaced with aluminum. It is just sitting on a shelf. If you do not want to take the time to repair yours I will trade you, you just pay for shipping of yours to me and mine to you.
The unit works just fine, I tested it after I made the repair in order to align the mirror.

If interested, contact me via PM.

Later,
trudesea (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:00 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Just going to toss this out there....
I have a HUD unit that I bought to replace the one in my '04 however it was had the broken pivot pins upon arrival. I have since fixed it using an aluminum pin and a rubber grommet, pretty much as shown in the above link. I checked that it worked fine when I had the original HUD out of my car; had to in order to align the mirror.

Anyways if time is short for you or you do not want to take the time to repair yours I will trade you, you just pay for shipping of both units.

If interested just contact me via PM.

Later
Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by trudesea
I guess what I mean by well take care of is drivetrain wise, he didn't track it, changed the oil, fluids etc on a proper maintenance schedule...and the interior looks like new...it was always parked in the garage. But yeah I personally couldn't stand codes being thrown on my car....all these codes are recent and he did not drive the car much the last 6 months, maybe once a week.

I gave 7k for it as I'm having so much fun in a divorce right now and needed a car....why not a vette? lol. Not ready for anything new now...newer vette in a couple years.
oh that's a great deal. you didn't do bad at all. just some stuff to sort out here
Old 10-20-2016, 10:08 AM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

My advice is to enjoy the car, not worry about the divorce, and listen to 8VETTE7.......you're in real good hands.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2003 owner, question about some issues with the car

Old 10-20-2016, 01:21 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys, I'm having to replace all the rotors, they where warped and there was not enough of them to turn. So at least that will take care of that problem.

As far as the TCS codes, does this seem to be a computer issue or am I looking at replacing sensors, etc. Just seems like a lot of failures at one time. I should probably I also clean all my ground points (probably not a bad idea anyway)

C1241 H C
C1248 H
C1265 H
C1266 H
C1267 H
C1268 H
C1276 H C
Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 PM
trudesea
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Just going to toss this out there....
I have a HUD unit that I bought to replace the one in my '04 however it was had the broken pivot pins upon arrival. I have since fixed it using an aluminum pin and a rubber grommet, pretty much as shown in the above link. I checked that it worked fine when I had the original HUD out of my car; had to in order to align the mirror.

Anyways if time is short for you or you do not want to take the time to repair yours I will trade you, you just pay for shipping of both units.

If interested just contact me via PM.

Later
Thank you very much Lanny, I will definitely consider that. I don't have access to any of my tools to do much of anything on the car myself right now, but hopefully after next week I'll have plenty of time to pull the HUD and asses what is going on with it.....I guess it could be a bad up/down switch as well.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Dean Gladney
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"1. service abs, service traction control, service xxxxx comes up when the car is running...it runs fine, but I'm wondering if I'm looking at a computer issue since all this wouldn't go wrong at once. If so, which computer am I looking at?"

I got this when my TPMS units started going bad. It makes it sound like the world is ending, but it may just be the $50 Tire Pressure units in the tires.

Quick Reply: New 2003 owner, question about some issues with the car