C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who made my wheels? Non-Z06 thin spokes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:30 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Who made my wheels? Non-Z06 thin spokes

I have a set of thin spokes front/rear and 1 set fronts. A question by a potential buyer wanted to know whether Alcoa or Speedline. My understanding is that only the Z06s had either the Alcoa or Speedline but not the regular C5 (2001).

2 fronts have a 2AA stamping, the other 2 have 1AA. The rears: one is 2AA and the other 3AA.

I told my buyer to look for this post.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,965 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
I have a set of thin spokes front/rear and 1 set fronts. A question by a potential buyer wanted to know whether Alcoa or Speedline. My understanding is that only the Z06s had either the Alcoa or Speedline but not the regular C5 (2001).

2 fronts have a 2AA stamping, the other 2 have 1AA. The rears: one is 2AA and the other 3AA.

I told my buyer to look for this post.
There were two versions of the thin spoke wheels. One forged and one cast. Both came in high polish and painted versions. Separately it is hard to tell the difference between them but the cast version has wider and deeper spokes.

Starting in 2000 GM had forged painted thin spokes with one version painted and the other version being high polished. However, when demand got to high they developed a cast version of the wheel that was grey in finish and sold as a base wheel. Toward the beginning of the 2002 production run they started using high polish versions of the cast wheels. It is easy to tell the difference between them when they are side by side as the forged versions have very thin elegant looking spokes compared to the cast wheels. All were made by Speedline.

Bill

Quick Reply: Who made my wheels? Non-Z06 thin spokes