C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on Spark Plug (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:16 PM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Oil on Spark Plug (pic)

Went to the track this weekend, and my buds said i blew a light cloud of smoke when i shifted to 4th, i checked all my plugs and they are dry except piston 6...look at the pic,(excuse the orange plug I had VP octanium in the tank) it has oil but only halfway down the threads, how is the oil building up just like that...is this a bad piston ring, or valve seal or somthing else...

car has a cam, procharger running about 7psi with alkycontrol meth kit...I dont beat up on the car, and every time i go full throttle i data log and car has never seen any knock, its tuned by a very great tuner in New Braunfels TX.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:47 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I don't see anything on this plug that suggests oil fouling/consumption. Looks more like oil seeping into the threads from the outside (i.e. leaky valve cover gasket). The blue smoke (if it was truly blue) was likely oil being pulled in through the PCV system - do you have a catch can? It is possible it was being pulled in through the valve seals, but even if so, I would not worry about it with plugs looking that clean.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

some oil on the threads is fine, if the plug was soaked in oil and the electrode etc was bathing in oil that's another story. Your plug looks fine.

Maybe compression test it.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

JAW DROPPING FACTS!

Pop off the air bridge and while you have everything apart go ahead and clean the throttle blade and MAF.

WHILE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You have everything apart, grab a good flashlight and pop open that throttle blade and look deep inside the intake manifold at the FLOOR of the intake manifold.

If yours is like 90% of other C5 owners, it will be a swimming pool of OIL.

Unless you are taking some aftermarket measures to control oil through the PCV system, that oil will be an ever present issue.

When you reach certain air flow velocities inside the intake manifold, the vacuum, air flow patterns, turbulences or even hard acceleration/braking events ect ect, can cause SOME of that oil to be disturbed and drawn into the intake tract. THUS, PUFFs of smoke under specific events.

Just ONE of the things that I have seen that can cause high spirited driving visual oil burning..

Also do a COMPLETE look at the PVC piping and PCV valve and make sure that it not compromised.

Have you ever drained your intercooler (hopefully it has a drain) and checked for any accumulations of oil?

Some aftermarket valve guide seals and valve springs don't live harmoniously together and the springs can dislodge the valve seal. Give that a look see.

Just brain storming..

Bill
Old 11-29-2016, 07:43 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

Bill I've seen your response with the same ideas in a couple of threads like this on various forums, I just can't understand how the oil would be on the top of the threads and not on the bottom near the electrode

Last edited by feeder82; 11-29-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by feeder82
Bill I've seen your response with the same ideas in a couple of threads like this on various forums, I just can't understand how the oil would be on the top of the threads and not on the bottom near the electrode

Feeder82

My main concern and commet was the PUFF OF SMOKE when he changed gears.

The oil on the threads is insignificant and means nothing. In my opinion, the exhaust gasses leak by the plug seat and the area that is wet/dark is where the gasses condense. If you don’t have any excessive oil on the plug well area where the plug screws into, it’s not coming in from the outside.

If someone put some sort of lubricant on the plug threads, the dry area of the plug is the HOT part of the plug and that compound could have been burnt off or pushed to the seat end of the plug and the wet area is the colder part of the plug where is collects..

Im no plug expert but, those are a couple of ways that "I believe" is the reason that the oil / grease/ dark spot is there.

The insignificant amount of oil that you are burning usually doesn’t leave many deposits on the electrode/anode of the plug. If it was oil fowling, you would really see a lot of deposits.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

insignificant is what I wanted to hear.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:20 AM
TommyTomlin
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Henderson tune?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:47 AM
z0stix
Racer

Thanks for all the replies, i guess i shouldnt worry too much about it....and yes tuned at Henderson
Old 12-01-2016, 08:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy13
some oil on the threads is fine, if the plug was soaked in oil and the electrode etc was bathing in oil that's another story. Your plug looks fine.

Maybe compression test it.

I've seen plugs like that, from good running cars, many times. Possibly the plug wasn't quite tightened to "spec", and you got a little "oil blow-by".
Old 12-02-2016, 04:03 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

plugs look tuned rather well honestly

that orange you have looks like an additive, possibly the meth

Last edited by racebum; 12-02-2016 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM
z0stix
Racer

Originally Posted by racebum

plugs look tuned rather well honestly

that orange you have looks like an additive, possibly the meth
its from running VP octanium octane booster
Old 12-05-2016, 03:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts