C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Memory issues with seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 PM
thunder1951
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default C5 Leather seat switch out

I recently bought a pair of nicer stock OEM sport seats to replace mine. They came out of a 98 base vette same as mine so I switched out the driver side and now I have no seat memory. I can put the seat in position I want and memory lamp flashes and I set it but nothing from the seat when I put the key in. Can anyone point me in the right direction...There are no DIC codes showing that there is a problem.....Thanks all!!

Last edited by thunder1951; 12-01-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added text
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM
thunder1951
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Did you verify if the replacement seats had a seat control module with memory????

Not all seat control modules are set up for memory. You should be able to move the SCM from your original seats to the replacement seats.
Lesson learned thank you, I assumed they would be the same but they are not. All of the air bladders work on the replacement seat and the leather is in real good shape so now the quest to move the SCM control I have to identify it first.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:06 PM
thunder1951
Racer

Default Leather seat cover change

I have given this some deep thought and decided to pull the nicer leather skins from the seats I just bought and replace my original leather with the newer ones. Now how much trouble will I run into if I just change leather covers and the bladders on my original seat? Or should I try and find a local upholstery shop to handle this.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder1951
I have given this some deep thought and decided to pull the nicer leather skins from the seats I just bought and replace my original leather with the newer ones. Now how much trouble will I run into if I just change leather covers and the bladders on my original seat? Or should I try and find a local upholstery shop to handle this.

very easy to do with MINIMAL tools....here's my write up.
I'm sure other will chime in with how-to's of their own !

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cs-galore.html
The following 2 users liked this post by SG Lou:
David Shiel (12-04-2016), thunder1951 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:28 AM
thunder1951
Racer

Default Thank you

That is really a great write up , this made my day. Thank you very much this will help make it possible for me to save and renew my driver seat! man I appreciate this!
Originally Posted by SG Lou
very easy to do with MINIMAL tools....here's my write up.
I'm sure other will chime in with how-to's of their own !

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cs-galore.html
Old 12-03-2016, 07:14 AM
thunder1951
Racer

I need to correct the first comment the DIC does show SCM- NO COMM
Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 AM
thunder1951
Racer

Definitely a different situation from the NO Codes...

You need to carefully examine the wiring harness to the seat that contains the brown and white wire. Look for damage to that wire Also pull the connector off the module and check the pins and connector carefully for any damaged or bent pins.

That wire is the serial data buss lead and without communications over that lead you are going to have problems with the memory and operation of the seat. Here is a wiring diagram for the serial data buss:

Could also still be that the SCM in the new seat is NOT one that supports the memory function and hence leaves the circuit open causing the NO Comm message. There is an RPO in the BCM for memory seats that is set in your car that if not set would prevent the No Comm message from being set on cars without the memory option..
Is there a chance that the SCM for the memory could be moved to the newer seat from the old seat? Here is a pic of the old driver seat and the newer passenger seat. As you can see their are differences.
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2016, 10:25 AM
thunder1951
Racer

Just what I was thinking , moving the newer leather cover to the original driver side frame and I will need to move the bolster bladder also. I bought the newer set but same year because the leather is in much better condition and its soft and supple compared to mine which feels hard to the touch and my driver bolster side is close to having a hole in it from the foam being deteriorated.
There seem to be significant differences in the two seats based on the pictures.

I think that if it were me I would move the seat coverings from the new driver seat (and perhaps the foam if it also is in better condition) to the old seat at least for the driver seat. The passenger seat does NOT have a memory function so it should be possible to just use the new passenger seat in place of the old passenger seat.... I don't have hands on experience (yet) with ALL the physical differences in the memory vs non memory driver seat. Perhaps there will be someone else that has gone through this that will jump in with specific information........
Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

I had to do some repairs to my driver seat when I had it out to put in the sound/heat insulation stuff. I new I was going to do so, so I have been collecting info on the forum.
Here is what I have hope it helps.........

C5 seat repairs and other information…..

Seat covers $$250……..
http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...ver_change.htm
https://www.interior-innovations.com/ for more products.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html
I used the Junkman's step by step instructions.
See: DIY - Replacing the Leather on the C5 Sport Seat)
Yes, you can pay the Corvette tax and buy ready-made seat repair kits for $40 each.
Or, you can go down to your local home improvement store and spend $15 for a door mat that's large enough to do both seat bottoms and $7.50 for 20 feet of clear vinyl tubing. When I did my seats, I chose to buy some hog ring pliers ($19 for economy set) rather than using nylon tie wraps because the nylon tie wraps will eventually decay and break whereas the steel hog rings will last for the life of the seats.
http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...d.php?t=102575
I will throw in a small suggestion in regards to the installation of new foam. Try to find a upholstery shop or fabric supply house and purchase about 1 sq. yd.x 1" of a good dense foam and while you have your seat apart, remove the back seat cover off. Make a paper template (optional) of your side bolsters, cut the 1" foam, apply it to the bolsters with a can of 3M spray glue and trim any foam square edges to a rounded shape. Cover back of seat with a piece of plastic sheeting (optional) like a dry cleaner bag and re-assemble. By simply adding the 1" foam to bolsters you will find it far more supportive and comfortable while in the seat. Takes hardly any time to do this seat mod and makes a real difference in feeling more snug in your seat. Jus Say'n !! This also can be done to the bottoms to customize fitment. If you were in my locale I would lend you a hand.
Buy; 2FAS4UU
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...d-seats-368782
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...cs-galore.html
Thanks every budy for all the info.
The following users liked this post:
thunder1951 (12-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Memory issues with seat

Quick Reply: C5 Memory issues with seat