C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa Xtreme install

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 AM
dylans
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT

Now I can't wait to put mine on!

Where's the sound clip? Where's the pics?
I'll get a sound clip later today, as well as some shots of them. I'm obviously so used to the Ti's, it seems strange to hear my vette so angry. It's a totally different sound. I really like it, and yet I think it's going to take some getting used to.

Louder at startup, slightly louder at idle. Great sound cruising and accelerating normally around town. As it climbs up to 3k rpm it starts to really open up and a hard push to 4k+ gives a very sudden, very agressive scream that'll just get higher and higher. Clutch in to shift and it gives a loud nasty snarl. Crackle and pops on downshift and decel, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

It doesn't sound a refined, or tuned as I was expecting but I do still have the H-pipe in place so maybe I'm only getting part of the true sound potential.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

H pipe is the problem. Your gonna need an X pipe
The following users liked this post:
dylans (03-28-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the world of tweaking exhaust tips!

Get a small level!
dylans (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BAT

Now I can't wait to put mine on!

Where's the sound clip? Where's the pics?
Here are some pictures

Got the tips lined up well. I do wish they sat further under the bumper though...
Old 03-24-2017, 08:43 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
Welcome to the world of tweaking exhaust tips!

Get a small level!
I've got one, but didnt use it. I think they turned out lined up.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM
dylans
Instructor

The greatest thing just happened. My wife disagrees with mods, she's of the belief that if GM wanted the car to be louder or faster or anything other than what it is they would have done it. She supported my purchase, but didn't get it. I had her drive the car around tonight doing some errands and she loves the new sound! She couldn't stop smiling and she even took it to rpm's she never would have before.

I should have recorded it but she squealed "Oh my gosh! I love it, it's so cool!" I had her drop me off so she could do some drive by's at different speeds. All I can say is WOW. It's the most incredible sound. Simply makes you giggle. I'll try out an x pipe in the near future, but honestly it doesn't NEED it imo. Sounds absolutely nasty

This is the way it should sound.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,231 Likes on 540 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I assume it was easy to align the tips after the install? I'll be doing mine SOON, and just curious how much of a PIA it'll be to line them up.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:18 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BAT
I assume it was easy to align the tips after the install? I'll be doing mine SOON, and just curious how much of a PIA it'll be to line them up.
It wasn't too hard. The clamps on each muffler had been tightened down by the shop so when I loosened them to make adjustments, the mufflers held tight since they had been compressed already. I think that detail help a lot in making the final perfect adjustments because I found I could make small adjustments and it would hold in place without clamp pressure.

To get them aligned to the same depth? Another story. I used what was available to me. I took the closed end of a wrench and placed it against the steel piece that goes through the rubber hanger at the top of the muffler. Then I hammered (with another heavier wrench) on the wrench touching the muffler hanger. It worked and the tips are very near perfectly aligned. I did this to both sides. I tried to push them and wiggle them, but they needed more force.

The shop hadn't used the correct torque specs also because when I got home one muffler was way low. I used the given torque specs after adjusting and they haven't moved even a little. I've driven 100 miles or so since.

I've already had neighbours asking about what I did to the car to make it sound so much better.

Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Here's how I align/level the tips when I install exhaust.

dylans (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,231 Likes on 540 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

mine gets installed this week/weekend!!!!

I called a buddy about replacing the oil sending unit. While he has the car, I asked if I could borrow his lift to swap the exhaust and he said to put it in the car and he'll take care of it for me!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Install took another 20 minutes. Tips still need to be adjusted but is was VERY easy up on jack stands if you don't mind cutting the stock system off.

Advance auto loan-a-tool tail pipe cutter and I was able to drop my stock exhaust in 20 minutes if that!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:52 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BAT
mine gets installed this week/weekend!!!!

I called a buddy about replacing the oil sending unit. While he has the car, I asked if I could borrow his lift to swap the exhaust and he said to put it in the car and he'll take care of it for me!!!
Great buddy to have! Good luck and I hope you enjoy the exhaust as much as I do!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:54 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by v6turbo87

Install took another 20 minutes. Tips still need to be adjusted but is was VERY easy up on jack stands if you don't mind cutting the stock system off.

Advance auto loan-a-tool tail pipe cutter and I was able to drop my stock exhaust in 20 minutes if that!
I wish I could have gone that route, but there was no way I was gonna cut the Ti system. I will pick one of those tools up for the x pipe install if I do it. I'm debating because most of what I've read calims that it mellows the tone out. I don't want that. I may just wait until I do headers too. Should balance out then.

Quick Reply: Corsa Xtreme install