C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what causes the clutch to stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:17 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default what causes the clutch to stick

what causes the clutch to stick? When I am driving the car hard it sticks like clock work. This cannot be good.

I change the fluid in my resovior weekly, so it stays pretty clean.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:54 PM
DEAD EYE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (ICULUKN-C5)

I'm having the same problem between WOT shifts. :confused:
Old 12-18-2002, 07:23 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (DEAD EYE)

There was a post on here before that explained this. It seems to be tempeture related. The slave cyl gets distorted and does not release the plunger. Something to that effect.
I read that on here awhile back.. Not sure if that is the definitive answer..
mike
Old 12-18-2002, 07:32 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (C5~Missle)

SO IS THERE A FIX? I already have a Z06 slave in there
Old 12-18-2002, 07:40 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

SO IS THERE A FIX? I already have a Z06 slave in there
This seems to remain a great mystery. I have the same problem (had to drive home in 4th gear for 50 miles one day before figuring out afterward that I could just pull the clutch pedal up for more or less normal operation. But there is something wrong with this picture.

There IS or ISN'T a GM TSB on the subject. They DO or do NOT have the fix!

What is the answer?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:58 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (rbeckham)

Well mine hasn't stuck all the way down yet but with a wot shift I feel like I've blown the clutch the way it goes soft and doesn't come all the way back up until I shift again. I was looking into after market adj master cylinders etc. I will monitor the post and hope someone finds an answer..Bill
Old 12-18-2002, 09:23 PM
mozart
Pro

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (NEPTUNEBILL)

do a search as there has been a lot of posts on this topic and I think I even seen a tsb number that the dealer had to call in to get info on. Search the archived section. good luck
Old 12-18-2002, 09:35 PM
scool93535
Drifting

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (mozart)

do a search as there has been a lot of posts on this topic and I think I even seen a tsb number that the dealer had to call in to get info on. Search the archived section. good luck
:iagree:

I was reading some post that turned up in a search for another problem that indicated it's caused by a narrow section in the line between the master and slave. There seemed to be a fix that required replacing the line with another that was modified by ??? Sorry, memory's going.

I'm starting to develop a theory of my own. Assuming there is a narrow spot in the line connecting the M/S, per GM spec, and from what I'm seeing many C5 owners are changing out the fluid in the master frequently. I seem to recall from many years ago that you shouldn't mix break fluid DOT types. In the old days different DOT types would congele, (?SP?). Become more like jello then a fluid. :eek:

If this is / was true, it's just possible we C5 owners are bringing this on ourselves by not completely draining the clutch fluid when changing out the fluid in the master.

Just a guess folks, but it's something to think about. Maybe somebody will jump in and provide proof to the contrary. I do plan to remove and replace all of the fluid in my MN6 system while I'm doing a clutch replacement in the next week or two.

I would be a little surprised if modern fluids react the same as they did in the "old" days.

:cheers:

Old 12-18-2002, 11:17 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (scool93535)

isnt DOT 3, DOT 3.. arent they all the same?
Old 12-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Sack Rat TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to drill out the small orafice/restriction in the clutch slave actuator. Do not know the drill size but it should be self evident when you look at the slave. Better yet, replace it with a new one that you can modify before you tear into the car with ample time to examine before you take your car apart. Good luck :smash:
Old 12-19-2002, 12:25 AM
scool93535
Drifting

I was referring to DOT 2 Vs DOT 3. I don't have any supporting facts but, I'm kind of wondering out loud if DOT 3 Vs DOT 4 or 5 might have a similar problem? How about mixing petrolem with synthetic? It might be worth looking into is all I'm suggesting.

:cheers:
Old 12-19-2002, 01:33 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (scool93535)

Mine is doing this, but I'm just replacing everything since my clutch slips with my new power anyhow. My buddies Z28 did this for a long time then he eventually had a hard time shifting into 3rd...then boom the Slave went out. Bought a new slave...problem solved.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:28 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Default Re: what causes the clutch to stick (RCswish)

But my slave is new... Less than 1 year..
Old 12-19-2002, 07:29 PM
MiamiDave
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just solved this problem...I think... :rolleyes:

I've heard many things with this issue, and have fought it for almost 4,000 miles. During high rpm shifts (3,4,5,) the clutch would become heavy, but only stuck to the floor once on the 1-2 shift when my ex-girlfriend drove it.

I've heard "Heat" "Reroute lines" "ZO6 Slave (actually the same as the LS1 slave according to the tech)," "Better DOT!" "z28 master and hoses!" etc!

My tech said by the Z28 slave, this tube & that fluid-ALL OUT OF POCKET!! I said "NO." This is Chev's problem-not mine. After three trips and various lame fixes, I found a "PIXXXX" number here on the forum that Chevy has to call to find the fix (sorry, can't remember it but do a search and you'll find it).

If the problem returns, I guess I'll let you know...and be selling a low mile '01 !!!!!!!!!

Don't know if it has solved the problem yet...waiting for the clutch to break in...which nobody seems to know if there is one or not!

End result was new everything. :cuss

Get notified of new replies

To what causes the clutch to stick

Quick Reply: what causes the clutch to stick