C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 11:13 PM
WannaBe TT!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full..

The sensor in the windshield wiper fluid reservoir fell out and the windshield washer fluid came out of the tank. So I plugged the sensor back into the tank and went to drive to the auto parts store to get washer fluid and it throws up "low washer fluid" on the little on-dash display. So i buy washer fluid and fill the tank up, and on the drive home it throws up "low washer fluid" again. It has been doing this for a week now and the windshield washer fluid reservoir is completely filled. Is it possible i put the sensor back in the tank incorrectly? I'm not really sure why i'm having this problem. I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:30 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full.. (WannaBe TT!)

Did you clear the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)? The links below may help in clearing codes using the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) The IPC is supposed to clear a DTC automatically if the malfunction has not occurred within 50 ignition cycles.

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/2000dtc.php http://www.c5-corvette.com/IPC_Display.htm
Old 06-03-2003, 12:33 PM
The Batman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full.. (mapman)

I really don't know any better, but a "low washer fluid" warning seems more akin to "low fuel" or "door ajar" or "trunk ajar" warning, that is, something that's not worth saving as a DTC. I mean, if I was designing these warnings, I wouldn't expect the majority of owners to know anything about clearing a DTC for "low washer fluid" - Average Joe C5 owner (doesn't know about corvetteforum, doesn't wave) sees warning, fills up washer fluid resevoir, doesn't see warning anymore. Voila. At least that's the way it should work.

How did the sensor pop out in the first place? Maybe it was damaged when that happened or damaged upon re-installation?

I one had a persistent problem with a car and a "low-coolant" warning. It wasn't fixed until I replaced the low-coolant sensor. It was a common enough problem that I could easily find information about it online. Seems like something with no moving parts shouldn't be too prone to failure, but I guess heat and vibration can be enough to destroy or at least significantly diminish the life-cycle of some liquid sensors.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:59 PM
SeaFive
Team Owner

Probably needs a new sensor :yesnod: C5s are notorious for washer fluid tank sensor failures :cheers:
Old 06-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Timmy's C5
Drifting

Default Re: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full.. (SeaFive)

Wannabee TT doesn't say what year his C5 is. Early C5's were prone to this error. It drove me crazy with my '98. Disconnect the sensor from the tank. Take a paper clip and cut off one of the 180 degrees ends. Sweeze the ends together, and insert it into the sensor so one end goes into each portion of the socket. This will complete the circuit and fool the sensor into thinking the tank is always full.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:32 PM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Why not clear the codes, get a new sensor, put it in and be done with the problem.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:55 PM
rbocky2k
Intermediate

Default Re: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full.. (CAPN17)

Just unplug the wires at the sensor, it won't set a code.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:19 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

My 00 coupe did the same thing. Had the sensor replaced and no more code.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 AM
geekracer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full.. (SeaFive)

Probably needs a new sensor :yesnod: C5s are notorious for washer fluid tank sensor failures :cheers:
:iagree:
Old 06-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full.. (MMarquez)

Before getting a new sensor here is a tip for you. I flushed out my washer tank and took the sensor out while doing the job. It is a simple float arm with a magnet imbedded into it, the magnet activates a switch similar to alarm sensors on doors in homes and businesses. The thing that I noticed was the float pivot point was stiff and did not move freely. I took out the pin and shaved off a little material on the float arm (a quick pass on a file or sandpaper will do it). Put it back together and the arm was completely free moving. I think this stiff pivot might get stuck and therefore cause false readings. An easy DIY'er job. :thumbs:
The following users liked this post:
PT5150 (07-16-2023)
Old 06-04-2003, 10:16 AM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

I bet you put the sensor in upside down. Turn the sensor around 180 degrees. That should cure your problem.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:53 PM
WannaBe TT!
Racer

Default Re: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full.. (SAXN8R)

Thank you all for your replies and a special thanks to saxn8r. I had put the sensor in upside down. I looked at the sensor for a directional orientation and couldn't find any. I remember thinking of that earlier and i rotated it around a little, but i guess it wasn't enough (or was in the wrong direction). Anyways, it's working now. Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 PM
wilkinru
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbocky2k
Just unplug the wires at the sensor, it won't set a code.
Thank you. Solved that stupid thing.

How annoying.

Zip tied it next to the sensor, it can shutup

Get notified of new replies

To Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full..

Quick Reply: Low Washer Fluid being displayed ... tank is full..