C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Exhaust flange

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Geoff McD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken Exhaust flange

Hi all....driving down the road today, I heard some comotion from the back of my car (sounded like metal on metal) and all of the sudden my exhaust was much louder.

What happened is the pipe under my car that bolts to my Corsa Exhaust system broke. The pipe itself actually broke away from the flange that is still bolted to my corsa exhaust system. So, the right muffler is still attached and looks secure - but the tips hang low, and I hear some metal on metal when driving (vibrations sounds like). Also, I basically running straight pipe on the right side and WOW is it loud!!! :eek:

Went to a muffler shop, and they didn't have a lift for my car, so they couldn't look at it. All of the other muffler shops I know of are closed (Its Saturday 4:30). I went by the dealership just to get some info, and can you believe that part costs $1100??? Whoa!!!

Wouldn't the Corsa X-pipe basically replace that? Its only $250, and it will give a boost in HP (only 5 though right)? Wouldn't that be the way to go? I guess I could also have it welded - I just couldn't find anyone to give me a quote on that. And how easily can you re-weld the flange onto the pipe - and how long will it hold? I'm thinking maybe the X-pipe is the way to go???

I have had this Corsa exhaust for 3 years now...I'm not sure what happened that made it (my factory H pipe) break like this.

PS: is there any way I can secure that pipe so it won't cause that metal on metal vibration? Basically....any way to "rig" it for the time being?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2003, 09:02 PM
55SUX
Racer

Default Re: Broken Exhaust flange (Geoff McD)

That's pretty common. Especially on late 98's and early 99's. The Corsa X pipe will replace that flange but a muffler shop can weld it for much less than the cost of the x pipe and it will probably never break again. When it happened to mine I used a small and large hose clamp to clamp it to the sway bar to keep it from rotating while driving to the dealer. It happened to mine when it was under warranty and the dealer replaced that whole $1100 center section under warranty.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:12 PM
LS7
Racer

Same thing happened to mine except it was the other side of the flange that goes to the mufflers. My exhaust is still stock. I heard metal to metal rattling and when I backed up onto my Rhino Ramps I found out the noise was the muffler hitting against the heat shield located directly above it. I was luckly enough to have a friend come over with his Mig welder to take care of it for me. It will hold no problem if you get it welded but if you have to pay big dollars to get it done , I would order the Corsa or the Bassani X Pipe. My pipe broke right out of the factory weld. It's not even flared on the other side of the flange. The pipe is just welded to the flange. I think it's a dumb design. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Old 06-28-2003, 09:59 PM
98silverC5
Pro

Same thing happened to mine. Muffler shop welded it for me, $40.00. Its been fine ever since. Muffler shop said it was a horrible weld from the factory. He welded the other side also. No need to replace the whole pipe.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Geoff McD
Instructor

Default Re: Broken Exhaust flange (98silverC5)

Thanks guys....I think I'll take your advice and see about getting it welded back together.

1 Question for you though, The car currently has the Corsa muffler and over the axle pipe assembly still bolted in place. However, now that the weld broke, the pipe does have a lot more play now, and the tail pipes are hanging lower now (but not too low). I do hear some metal on metal vibrations, and although they don't sound terrible - I worried that it may be from something that can really hurt my car. Do you all know if what I am hearing is ok for limited drive?

What I am hearing would be like what you would hear if you took an electric razor and held it up to a glass of water while on (like in that commercial). Only this razor is larger....by a bit!
Old 06-29-2003, 08:52 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get it welded and the rattle will go away. This is not in any way a serious problem.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:12 PM
lotzahp
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had the same problem.

I had a local muffler shop weld the pipe, and the other one too, for $50. The other pipe was about 1/2 way cracked.

However, I have a slight tailpipe misalignment now. I bought a Magnaflow Xpipe to correct this eventually.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Geoff McD
Instructor

Default Re: Broken Exhaust flange (lotzahp)

Thanks for the help guys! I BLASTED my way to the muffler shop near my work this morning, and had them take a look at it. Just as you all suggested, they welded it back together for me and also the other side as well. They did all of this for me for $30 – I thought that was super cheap!

My tips also became seriously mis-alligned after he finished welding. So, I worked with the guy for a while to get it back in line. I think its pretty much there – not perfect – but REAL close!

What I realized, is my exhaust is now MUCH quieter….not that I’m really happy about that. I think that while the pipe was in the process of breaking – there was an exhaust leak taking place I assume? Making the car louder. Well, now that its all fixed – it seems really really quiet inside. Not sure though, it was such a short drive to work.

Need long tube headers! :yesnod: And, I would do that X-pipe - but I hear that just makes things even quieter! :(

Anyhow, Thanks again for the suggestions!!! :cheers:
Old 06-30-2003, 03:56 PM
S76HeliPilot
Instructor

Default Re: Broken Exhaust flange (LS7)

I have a new exhaust on the way for my C5, and was wondering if the rhino ramps are tall enough for the job and also where do you buy them? I checked our local Wal-Mart and they didnt stock them. :auto: :chevy
Old 06-30-2003, 04:04 PM
audiomikej
Intermediate

Default Re: Broken Exhaust flange (S76HeliPilot)

I had the same problem. Tip, if one side breaks get both sides welded. I took my H pipe off myself, took it to a welding shop they welded both H pipe flanges for $20 bucks. One side was broke and the other had a crack. All better now.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:33 PM
LS7
Racer

Default Re: Broken Exhaust flange (S76HeliPilot)

I bought my Rhino Ramps at Auto Zone for $30. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and they had them also, but not when I needed them which was 4 mos. ago. You might be able to get the new exhaust up there but I dont think you can do it by just backing up onto the ramps. I think your also going to have to jack the car up until the front bumper is about to hit the ground. You might have to sawsall the old one out eventhough the car is as high as you can get it. Not sure though b/c I never did it but I think I remember reading it from an old post. :seeya
Old 06-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Toecutter
Intermediate

Same flange broke on my stock Y2K coupe out of warrenty with 47k miles.
I took it to the dealer and they replaced the Catalitic converter assembly
Under warrenty. It seems the emisions system is under warrenty for 10 years 80K miles regardless of factory warrenty.
Good thing, the part was $1800.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Exhaust flange

Quick Reply: Broken Exhaust flange