C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Kal-El
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering?

I took my car in for steering column lock and it came back with a steering problem. When turning it did not feel smooth. It rachets around and brought up immediate error codes. After having my car for seven working days, Hewlett Chevy in Austin said that it was a problem with the switch for the turn signal and that it was just a coincidence with the fact they worked on the steering column lock. Anybody heard this before? :confused: :mad
Old 07-17-2003, 06:16 PM
rockrz
Pro

Default Re: Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering? (Kal-El)

Take it from someone who's family has been in the car business for 40 years, there are no coincidences at the dealer. I'm sure they F'd it up working on the column lock.

I'd say you only have a 50/50 shot of getting something fixed the first time at a GM dealership.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:37 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering? (Kal-El)

..... it was just a coincidence with the fact they worked on the steering column lock. ......
Ask them to show you the procedure they did to repair the lock. Replacing the lock requires the removal of theSteering Column Tilt Head Housing. That operation requires the removal of the turn signal cancel cam assembly.

Probably something just didn't get put back together correctly. (Page 2-104 of the 2003 service manual)
Old 07-18-2003, 02:14 AM
steveC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have that exact same problem going on right now. When you make hard turns it feels like the housing on the steering wheel "pops." Happened right after I got my columlock fixed. Never got any codes though. When I get time I was going to remove the steering wheel houseing to see if its not mounted tightly. Let me know if you get yours fixed on what it exactly was.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:49 AM
98ISGR8
Instructor

Default Re: Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering? (steveC5)

Had the same problem after they replaced my column lock. Took it back and it was a bad blinker switch that broke when they were in there playing around. :sleep:
Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
lotzahp
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

they definitely f-ed it up when they had the wheel off.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:06 PM
aurik
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Elite Member

Default Re: Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering? (lotzahp)

Apparently when the dealership fixed *my* column lock they also somehow created a short circuit somewhere in the windshield wiper mechanism -- blew out the fuse.

So far it appears to be working OK with the replacement fuse... no telling how long that will last though.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I am sure Parra could fix it. :D :jester :cry
Old 07-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Kal-El
Instructor

Default Re: Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering? (Dugmole)

Just heard from Hewlett...my Vette is ready so I will post an update when I get her back. My service rep just told me that he had trouble getting her into reverse on his test drive and wanted to know if I wanted them to check that out. I have never had trouble getting her into reverse. Who are these people? Of course I said no. :mad :mad
Old 07-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Kal-El
Instructor

Here is the update to the story.

Went to pick up my car from Hewlett. When I asked about the problem with the steering being a loss of feel not an obstruction the response from the service manager whose name is on the building was "You can take your car anywhere you want for service." When I got in my car I immediately realized that the problem (that was not existent when I first brought my car in) was not fixed even though they charged my warranty company for some type of fix. When I questioned the service manager it got a bit heated and he tried to talk over me. I told him to listen to me. He jumped out of his chair and go in my face and told me that nobody talks to him like that in his store. Originally brought in for steering column lock and after nine days in the service department, Hewlett can't return my car to the condition I brought it in. Yet they fixed something and got paid for it. Ask yourself, would this level of incompetance by put up with at your work and will you patronize a business that treats its customers like this? I think you know my answer. :rant:
Old 07-18-2003, 08:29 PM
larrysb
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He jumped out of his chair and go in my face and told me that nobody talks to him like that in his store.
I would have knocked him flat on his azz right then and there.

Call your warranty company, tell them the car has not been repaired at all and the management of company has made it clear they don't care to have your business anymore.

Old 07-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Kal-El
Instructor

Default Re: (Happy Ending) Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering? (Kal-El)

Champion Chevrolet here in Austin looked at the steering problem. Both the assistant service manager, James, and the service advisor, Bill, noticed a problem with the steering just by sitting in it and turning the wheel. Good to know I am not the only one that fills this. By lunch of the same day they first looked at the problem, Champion had figured out the problem as being a bearing in the steering that was not put back in properly. Simple fix my Vette was ready the next morning.

Major props to Champion, James and Bill and the mechanics at Champion.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Old 07-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: (Happy Ending) Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering? (Kal-El)

When I questioned the service manager it got a bit heated and he tried to talk over me. I told him to listen to me. He jumped out of his chair and go in my face and told me that nobody talks to him like that in his store.
this is what happens when relatives are given jobs and real qualified people aren't even interviewed.

F' em.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering?

Quick Reply: Has anybody heard that the turn signal can effect steering?