C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 02:21 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5?

Looking for any advice on a wheel/tire size setup, as well as suspension modifications, for drifting.

I've done some quick research on available tires, and without going to a ridiculous 55+ aspect ratio (which I understand will cause too much sidewall flex), and trying to stay within the stock diameters front to back, I've only been able to find 245/45/18 for the rear, and 215/50/17 for the fronts. I'm worried these may still be too wide to be safe.

Here are some combinations I've tried:

Rear: 275/40/18 (stock) vs. --245/45/18-- vs. 205/55/18

or even 215/40/20

Front: 245/45/17 (stock) vs. --215/50/17-- vs. 195/55/17

or 185/45/19

Does anyone know of any available narrower, harder compound tires? Also, would such narrow tires be available as run flats (the stiffer sidewall and harder compound of the EMT could only help, I guess).

Or any thoughts on a setup you've tried on the C5?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, BTW, for what this is all about, see this video link for more information:
http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/pdst/drift-ER34.WMV

Also, in doing a Dogpile search, I've only found this piece of advice specifically related to drifting a Z06, and the reviews seem to be mixed:
http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic152051.htm

Again, appreciate any advice, help, or thoughts. Thank you. :cheers:

[Modified by EHS, 3:14 AM 3/3/2004]
Old 03-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (EHS)

Depends on how much you want to spend. I'm sure you could get some really skinny custom wheels from CCW to fit the bill. 17x7 or 18x7 or something (easily a 195/205 on those).

Cheap? Run 2 sets of front 17x8.5s. Run 215 or 225/50 or 55/17 all around. You don't need to care about tire height front/back, since obviously your traction control will be off. Even if you cared, just run 215 or 225/50 front and 215 or 225/55 rear, that's about a .8" difference, which is just about right. 225/50/17 is 25.9" tall I believe. Slightly taller than stock fronts, slightly shorter than stock rear. The advantage to running the same size front/rear would be the ability to rotate. You don't really care about the front tires since they aren't doing the sliding. Get something that's not directional too, so you can flip the tire on the wheel as well.

Your ideas are good, but I'm unsure as to why you're trying to stagger the tire sizes, unless you are trying to use the stock wheels. Your 215 might be hard to get on that 8.5" front wheel btw. I know for a 225, they recommend 8" maximum, so you're right on the line. 245 might be even a little tough for the back too. I had 245/45/17 snow tires on my 17x9s and they had to try a few times to get one of the tires on. Bead wouldn't seat. 17x9.5 might be even harder.

Dope
Old 03-03-2004, 03:20 AM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (Dope)

Dope:

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I wanted to stagger the sizes was to stay as close to stock for ABS/traction control/acive handling (which, as you said, will probably be off anyway, or at least only in competitive mode). I know the stock wheels will be too wide to fit the narrower tires I'm looking for. I also wanted to stay close to the front and rear stock diameters.

Reflecting further on what you said, I guess I could go with same size wheels, and just stagger the diameter to stay with the stock front to back ratio. Based on your suggestion, I'd like to go no wider than 215s in the back, maybe 195s in the front. I'll call CCW tomorrow and see what sizes they could make up.

Thanks again for the input. :smash:

[Modified by EHS, 3:36 AM 3/3/2004]
Old 03-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (EHS)

why :confused: why :confused: why :confused:
Old 03-03-2004, 08:53 AM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (Mean Green)

Have you looked at the video? Make sure you have the sound turned way up.

Seems like fun, and it's great car control. There's a NASA autocross here at the Meadowlands in mid-March, and I thought it might be more interesting running such a setup and having some fun, than actually trying not to get beaten by the Integras, which will happen anyway (they set up the course).

The last time I was there, the Miatas and Japanese cars ate the Corvettes for lunch (there were about five or six, including one Z06 that was trailered in with slick tires, race suspension, the whole nine yards). The best part of the autocross was in the morning -- rain was the great eqaulizer, and everybody was sliding all over the place.

Either that, or maybe I'll bring my '93 Caprice LTZ and keep the snow tires on it that long. Helmet required, run what you brung. :yesnod: :lol:

[Modified by EHS, 9:00 AM 3/3/2004]
Old 03-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I did look at it and while it's mildily entertaining, I don't see it as a true racing sport, in essence, you're trying to avoid doing that as it slows you down in a race....I can see maybe having some fun with it once or twice but to buy tires to "compete" at it....not for me :) :cheers:
Old 03-03-2004, 11:14 AM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (Mean Green)

Mean Green:

I know what you mean, but the additional impetus to all this is that I currently have a sixteen year old daughter in the "learner's permit" stage (see a previous post), and I thought this might be a good way she could learn something more about car control -- now that the snow seems to be gone in the Northeast, no more doughnuts in the parking lot.

I'm hoping to get her into autocross and drifting, not necessarily to compete, but simply to learn how to control the car better. I'd rather have her try it on skinny 185/55 rears, than 285/35 -- whole different thing going on when they finally do "hook up."

Thinking more about it, and your advice, maybe the best thing would be to just buy a specialized "drifting" car, say a $800 Corolla or 240ZX (which will come with bald tires) :lol: -- probably cheaper than four CCW wheels and tires anyway. :smash:

:cheers:
Old 03-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Teaching a 16 year old girl to drift in a vette. Hmmmmm. The streets will never be safe again.

Spend the money on a good defensive driving school. It will probably cost 1-2k for a day or two. They show the ins and outs of car control with specially modified cars, skidpads, courses, etc..

Dope
Old 03-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (Dope)

Teaching a 16 year old girl to drift in a vette. Hmmmmm. The streets will never be safe again.

Spend the money on a good defensive driving school. It will probably cost 1-2k for a day or two. They show the ins and outs of car control with specially modified cars, skidpads, courses, etc..

Dope
:iagree: Plus, she will be beating on someone elses car :yesnod:
Old 03-04-2004, 12:49 AM

Sorry. Sorry. But got to say it... 'Drifting' is pointless. :banghead:

Fun? maybe. I grew up in midwest, where 20 years ago, 'Drifting' was our regular winter sport on icy roads. Different from this 'new' idea today you say? Hmmm, No. It was then, as it is now, just a matter of manipulating and reducing a car's capabability (via tires or snow&ice) and then controlling a slide. Strictly kid stuff.

There's no real danger or guts involved. Pushing a machine (and yourself) to natural limits -- now that's worth getting excited about. But reducing a car's capability, and then sliding around -- no thanks. :nonod:

'Drifting' is a rice sport -- born of wimpy, front-wheel drive sedans with big wings on the back. It's not for REAL performance cars like Vettes.

There. That's how I really feel. :U Much better now, thanks.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:05 AM
devo
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 03-04-2004, 01:07 AM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (MMI)

If you want to drift, sell the vette and buy a starlet, supra, sylvia, or a skyline. Drifting is stricly and import thing plain and simple. You will look stupid trying to drift in a Amercan car. My buddy has a Wrx and all he talks about is drifting, its the lastest craze on the import scene. Just like every fad, it will come and go.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Can we say HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOLS?

Performance Drivers Assoicataion http://www.imp-auto.com/pda/pages/schedules.htm

High Performace Drivers Education Track Schedule http://www.trackschedule.com/

Car Guys http://www.carguys.com/

Drifting :skep: is for floating down a lazy river on a raft and fishing.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (devo)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:confused: :skep:
Old 03-04-2004, 10:29 AM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (AU N EGL)

... Can we say HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOLS?
Nothing wrong with High Performance Driving Schools and track days. I like Bondurant, Barber, and Bragg myself.

The problem, though, is pretty self-evident in my Avatar to the left there.

:yesnod:
Old 03-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Drifting is teh ghey. :jester
The idea of performance driving is not to slide and maintaining proper traction.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:19 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (fdupny)

If you want to teach your daughter car control all you need is a big empty parking lot. Go when its raining and when its dry. I think empty parking lots are the best way to learn your cars handling carachteristics. And your stock rims/tires with the traction control OFF will be easy to break loose.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5?

Old 03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

... Can we say HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOLS?

Nothing wrong with High Performance Driving Schools and track days. I like Bondurant, Barber, and Bragg myself.

The problem, though, is pretty self-evident in my Avatar to the left there.

:yesnod:
what is that thing anyway
Old 03-04-2004, 02:55 PM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

rice :nonod:
Old 03-04-2004, 04:54 PM
washguy
Pro

Default Re: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5? (1 slow 97)

EHS.......put down the keys and backaway from the vette! :yesnod: :lol: Wash

Quick Reply: What are the NARROWEST tires and wheels available for drifting in a C5?