C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 02:52 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

While I believe that Mobil 1 is an excellent lubricant, and may be the best of the major brands available at your favorite auto store, I also want to share some independent lab tests that show it isn’t necessarily the best lubricant on the market.

Comparative Oil Test
AMSOIL vs Mobile 1 Oil Test

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5w30 Motor Oil is formulated with advanced Polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks. PAO base stocks are the industries premier base stock technology, and when combined with an exact blend of premium additives, provide second to none protection and performance in the most demanding operating conditions.

Why AMSOIL?
•First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
•First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval.
•First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence.
•First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines.
•First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency.
•First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use.
•First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil.
•First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.

AMSOIL’s extended drain intervals actually save money (and obviously time):
Cost Savings of Longer Drain Interval
AMSOILs actual recommended drain intervals can be found here:
AMSOIL Product Change Interval Guide

While I understand many of us are resistant to the time honored 3 months or 3000 mile change interval, the industry is slowly coming to see the benefits of extended drain intervals. AMSOIL is leading the effort with their high quality synthetics. However, GM appears to be the first major automobile corporation to be embracing this philosophy with the oil life system calculator in its vehicles. AMSOIL’s lubricants have been formulated to address the trade-offs involved with extended drain intervals as the above comparison information shows.
Motor Oil Drain Intervals: An Ethical Burden?

Buy AMSOIL at Wholesale
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program allows you to buy any AMSOIL product at wholesale, which is about 15-20% less expensive than retail. Cost is $10 per six months and you can buy as much oil as you want during that six months. To sign up, all it takes is one phone call to 1-800-777-7094. Give them reference number 1206638.

Or you can use this link:
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
Again, please put 1206638 in the customer number block.

While I understand many (most?) of you will probably never use AMSOIL in your Corvette as GM recommends Mobil 1, I would appreciate it if you would consider trying AMSOIL in your other vehicles. AMSOIL makes products for almost every type of machinery that has an engine, from cars to diesels, to farm equipment, to snowmobiles, watercraft, ATVs, etc, including lubricants, appearance products, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs (Bosch), wiper blades (Bosch), etc. More information on the full AMSOIL product line can be found on their corporate homepage:
AMSOIL Corporate Homepage

Own a business?
AMSOIL has two programs that may benefit your business.

Retail Sales Program
If you own a business a retail business with no more than 12 retail outlets that sells products "off the shelf", you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and sell them at retail, keeping the profits.

Commercial Program
If you own a business that uses lubricants, such as a vehicle fleet of cars, trucks, farm equipment, recreational vehicles, etc, you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and use them for your business.

Both of these programs involve no cost to start. Several forms are required to register your business account with AMSOIL. If you are interested, please contact me at c66racing@hotmail.com and I will provide you with more information.

Thank you for your consideration and support.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 07-11-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

This has been beat to death here and honestly don't need anyone trying to sneak around the Supporting Vendor program that helps keep this site free....:
Old 07-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

SubDriver is a Supporting Vendor on the forum.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:44 PM
C66 Racing

Mean Green,
Thanks.

Yes, I am an Independent AMSOIL Dealer and am also the forum supporting vendor for AMSOIL. I posted a thread announcing this in the C5 forum about a month ago, but can't find the thread anymore with the software changeover.
Unfortunately, my supporting vendor tag was also deleted with the new software changeover. I have contacted Troy to resolve this.

Sorry the thread appears out of the blue. I don't get into this forum much as I have a Z06 and use it primarily for racing. My post wasn't meant to antagonize anyone, but to ensure everyone was aware of the benefits of AMSOIL (and to try to justify the costs of being a forum supporting vendor).
Old 07-10-2004, 03:49 PM
2002Z06Yellow
Pro

so in simple english, why is it better?
Old 07-10-2004, 05:44 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by 2002Z06Yellow
so in simple english, why is it better?
I'm not sure there is an plain simple answer to the question. The basics are a premier base stock technology, AMSOIL uses PAO synthetic base vice the ester or highly refined oil base of other synthetics, and an exact blend of premium additives.

Here is an interesting quote from the CEO of AMSOIL (A.J. "Al" Amatuzio, retired Air Force Lt Col):

"How many synthetic motor oils were in existence when AMSOIL introduced its first oil? None. How many are on the shelves now! The same holds true of synthetic two-cycle oils, gear lubes, and many, many other lubricants today that carry the word "synthetic" on the label. Before AMSOIL, none of them existed. So as the trend towards longer drain intervals continues, tell your customers who started it all and who they can continue to put their faith in... AMSOIL. The First in Synthetics."
Old 07-10-2004, 09:51 PM
joe cecchini
Advanced

Default synthetic oil

i ran mobil 1 for break in 500 miles then used red line and still using red line .red line has a high chrome moly rating coats well and is great havent tried amsoil ,i will give it a try in my truck ,but my ZO6is clean with red line,and thats 10,000 miles,could go longer but i still like to change .
Old 07-11-2004, 01:06 AM
my50thvette
Racer

:flag I have used Amsoil for ten years. With good results. Now I own a vette and was thinking of switching to the mobil 1, cause gm's code is not on the amsoil bottle. What do you use in your vette? Will the amsoil void gm warrenty?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:18 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by my50thvette
:flag I have used Amsoil for ten years. With good results. Now I own a vette and was thinking of switching to the mobil 1, cause gm's code is not on the amsoil bottle. What do you use in your vette? Will the amsoil void gm warrenty?
Using AMSOIL 5w30 will not void your warranty. AMSOIL 5w30 does meet GM4718M specification.

FYI, AMSOIL verifies their products meet manufacturer requirements and then lists them as applicable to that particular make and model here:
AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

You can check any of your vehicles on this guide. If there is an AMSOIL product listed, it meets requirements. For example, the ATF required for my 2003 F350 with a 6.0L turbo diesel isn't carried by AMSOIL. Here is how they list it on the online product application guide:

Automatic Transmission,5R110W.....MSP[2]
MERCON-SP Automatic Transmission Fluid - Not Available Through Amsoil

Note: AMSOIL ATF does meet Mercon and Mercon V requirements though.

Note: AMSOIL warranties the lubricants it lists on this online application guide when used properly. A copy of the AMSOIL warranty is on the bottom of their homepage:
Old 07-11-2004, 05:44 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Mobil 1 5w30 seems to be the most popular oil on this forum, but without a doubt you will see lower engine wear if you switch to Amsoil in your LS1. The LS1 engine likes a slightly thicker oil, and Mobil 1 5w30 is very close to being a 5w20 while Amsoil 5w30 is very close to being a 5w40.

But don't take my word for it, do yourself a favor and get an oil analysis done on your oil, then switch to a slightly thicker oil and you'll see the wear numbers drop.

Just for the record I don't use Amsoil, I use German Castrol 0w30 in all of my family's vehicles.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:26 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I am running Amsoil right now and have posted my results on Bob is the Oil Guy. I may try the German Castrol next change though, and have recently put it in three of my other cars.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:06 AM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AMSOIL Is good stuff.. thats why I too became a dealer.. Oh yea.. also you might pay more for the AMSOIL but remmber you get what you pay for..
-Rick
Old 07-11-2004, 09:26 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info and the options - I will look into it!
Old 07-11-2004, 10:23 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Subdriver
AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5w30 Motor Oil is formulated with advanced Polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks.
What is the best Amsoil oil to use for C5's?
I am using series 2000 0W30 for my C5 and it's working great.
Just wanna see what your suggestion.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 05:46 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Mobil 1 5w30 seems to be the most popular oil on this forum, but without a doubt you will see lower engine wear if you switch to Amsoil in your LS1. The LS1 engine likes a slightly thicker oil, and Mobil 1 5w30 is very close to being a 5w20 while Amsoil 5w30 is very close to being a 5w40.

But don't take my word for it, do yourself a favor and get an oil analysis done on your oil, then switch to a slightly thicker oil and you'll see the wear numbers drop.

Just for the record I don't use Amsoil, I use German Castrol 0w30 in all of my family's vehicles.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-11-2004, 06:41 PM
kirbyloid
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
While I believe that Mobil 1 is an excellent lubricant, and may be the best of the major brands available at your favorite auto store, I also want to share some independent lab tests that show it isn’t necessarily the best lubricant on the market.

Comparative Oil Test
AMSOIL vs Mobile 1 Oil Test

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5w30 Motor Oil is formulated with advanced Polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks. PAO base stocks are the industries premier base stock technology, and when combined with an exact blend of premium additives, provide second to none protection and performance in the most demanding operating conditions.

Why AMSOIL?
•First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
•First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval.
•First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence.
•First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines.
•First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency.
•First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use.
•First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil.
•First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.

AMSOIL’s extended drain intervals actually save money (and obviously time):
Cost Savings of Longer Drain Interval
AMSOILs actual recommended drain intervals can be found here:
AMSOIL Product Change Interval Guide

While I understand many of us are resistant to the time honored 3 months or 3000 mile change interval, the industry is slowly coming to see the benefits of extended drain intervals. AMSOIL is leading the effort with their high quality synthetics. However, GM appears to be the first major automobile corporation to be embracing this philosophy with the oil life system calculator in its vehicles. AMSOIL’s lubricants have been formulated to address the trade-offs involved with extended drain intervals as the above comparison information shows.
Motor Oil Drain Intervals: An Ethical Burden?

Buy AMSOIL at Wholesale
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program allows you to buy any AMSOIL product at wholesale, which is about 15-20% less expensive than retail. Cost is $10 per six months and you can buy as much oil as you want during that six months. To sign up, all it takes is one phone call to 1-800-777-7094. Give them reference number 1206638.

Or you can use this link:
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
Again, please put 1206638 in the customer number block.

While I understand many (most?) of you will probably never use AMSOIL in your Corvette as GM recommends Mobil 1, I would appreciate it if you would consider trying AMSOIL in your other vehicles. AMSOIL makes products for almost every type of machinery that has an engine, from cars to diesels, to farm equipment, to snowmobiles, watercraft, ATVs, etc, including lubricants, appearance products, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs (Bosch), wiper blades (Bosch), etc. More information on the full AMSOIL product line can be found on their corporate homepage:

Own a business?
AMSOIL has two programs that may benefit your business.

Retail Sales Program
If you own a business a retail business with no more than 12 retail outlets that sells products "off the shelf", you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and sell them at retail, keeping the profits.

Commercial Program
If you own a business that uses lubricants, such as a vehicle fleet of cars, trucks, farm equipment, recreational vehicles, etc, you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and use them for your business.

Both of these programs involve no cost to start. Several forms are required to register your business account with AMSOIL. If you are interested, please contact me at c66racing@hotmail.com and I will provide you with more information.

Thank you for your consideration and support.
Lots of discussions on forum about Amsoil Tranny fluid and some say do not use it some of course say opposite any data to back up a position on this??
Old 07-11-2004, 08:32 PM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil ATF is a Dexron III fluid & that's all that matters.
RUN IT!
Ow30,ATF,Series 2000 75w90 are in all 3 of my rides.

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

Old 07-11-2004, 09:41 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by mike76002
What is the best Amsoil oil to use for C5's?
I am using series 2000 0W30 for my C5 and it's working great.
Just wanna see what your suggestion.
Thanks
Tough question and probably no one right answer. The GM recommended oil is 5w30 and I have a tough time personally going against that.
However, AMSOIL does recommend all of these for the C5 (and thus all meet GM specs):
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oil
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil

Lots of discussions on forum about Amsoil Tranny fluid and some say do not use it some of course say opposite any data to back up a position on this??
As IMQUIK said, AMSOIL ATF meets Dexron III specs which is the requirement. I don't have any test data for you though. Practically speaking, my tranny has had synthetic in it since about a month after I bought it. I switched to AMSOIL this winter when I discovered the company. At this point, my tranny has about 15k total miles, 7 DE days, and 20 SCCA races and is still working fine.

Patman,
FYI, AMSOIL makes their best oil in that weight. Series 2000 0w30.

Last edited by C66 Racing; 07-13-2004 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I run Mobil 1 0w40 in the motor b/c it's quick and easy to get.

I run Amsoil ATF in the tranny and Amsoil Gear oil in the Dif...
Old 07-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I run Mobil 1 0w40 in the motor b/c it's quick and easy to get.

I run Amsoil ATF in the tranny and Amsoil Gear oil in the Dif...
Cobra,

You may want to try the oil. I am running it now, since the shop I bring my car to (ECS) is a vendor and they now do my changes for me. It seems to be a very good product, and the folks at ECS swear by it. And Chris (at ECS) would never lie to me.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL vs Mobil 1