C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Emissions test and prior PCM codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03
Default OBDII Emissions test and prior PCM codes

I have the FLP header system on my car, and have been running with no cats and 02 sims. The right side 02 sim has been flaky ever since it was installed, and I always had a P0160 code present (RR 02 sensor code), which would trip the Check Engine light occasionally. Since I knew what it was, it didn't bother me to just keep resetting it, knowing nothing was really wrong.

I have an Emissions test coming up, so today I put the cats back in, pulled the sims out, and reconnected the rear 02 sensors. Cleared the code, and it hasn't come back..started and drove it on a few short trips, diagnostics is showing no codes.

My question is...will it pass an OBDII test now, or do I need a minimum amount of start cycles on the car for that previous code to be truly gone? I recall hearing something about this and "not ready" status during the test (like when disconnecting the battery)...not sure if this is the same sort of situation or not.

Thanks for any knowledgeable answers.

Old 10-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
I have the FLP header system on my car, and have been running with no cats and 02 sims. The right side 02 sim has been flaky ever since it was installed, and I always had a P0160 code present (RR 02 sensor code), which would trip the Check Engine light occasionally. Since I knew what it was, it didn't bother me to just keep resetting it, knowing nothing was really wrong.

I have an Emissions test coming up, so today I put the cats back in, pulled the sims out, and reconnected the rear 02 sensors. Cleared the code, and it hasn't come back..started and drove it on a few short trips, diagnostics is showing no codes.

My question is...will it pass an OBDII test now, or do I need a minimum amount of start cycles on the car for that previous code to be truly gone? I recall hearing something about this and "not ready" status during the test (like when disconnecting the battery)...not sure if this is the same sort of situation or not.

Thanks for any knowledgeable answers.

I was just at the Illinois station and I heard somebody explaining to a person that flunked that you need quite a few ignition cycles before the OBD II history is accepted. I believe it was 50 cycles but maybe somebody else can shed light on this.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:19 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

State of NY is now requiring at least 50 cycles for its OBD II inspections.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:39 PM
davette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive your car about a week (150 miles).... Freeway, stop and go, etc. you should pass the OBDII ready test. You are allowed two "not readys" in Cali. Not sure about WI. Couldn't be any worse than us.

You can always have your smog tech "pre-test" the car before the actual test. That way, you won't be on "record" if you fail.

Last edited by davette; 10-24-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
State of NY is now requiring at least 50 cycles for its OBD II inspections.
So is that 50 cycles since the last PCM code or what? When doing the test, can they see that prior code, even though it's deleted...or does the PCM simply show a "not ready" state ~of that particular function~ until that many ignition cycles have been completed?

This is what I don't quite understand.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Cool info!
Old 10-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
So is that 50 cycles since the last PCM code or what? When doing the test, can they see that prior code, even though it's deleted...or does the PCM simply show a "not ready" state ~of that particular function~ until that many ignition cycles have been completed?

This is what I don't quite understand.

I'm over my head here but my guess is a code delete (reset) is the same as a battery failure which means 50 ignition cycles in either case.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Richin Chicago
I'm over my head here but my guess is a code delete (reset) is the same as a battery failure which means 50 ignition cycles in either case.
Thanks for your help, and that's what I'm guessing too, I just have no idea either.

I'm almost tempted to take it in tomorrow just to see if it fails, and perhaps get some more insight as to why and how this all works. I can always retest later on provided the PCM stays clean...that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

If you have access to EFI Live (AutoTap), you can run the emissions test yourself and continue to run through your cycles until you pass, then take it in for the official test. A buddy of mine had a similar problem with his 99 after swapping an Optima in. He failed the first time (we only have the OBDII test here - no sniffer for newer cars) and drove several drive cycles until EFI Live gave him the all clear.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 AM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hth

Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) Complete System Set Procedure
Description
The purpose of the inspection maintenance (I/M) Complete System Set Procedure is to satisfy the enable criteria necessary to execute all of the I/M readiness diagnostics, and to complete the trips for those particular diagnostics. When all diagnostic tests are completed, the I/M System Status indicators are set to YES. Perform this test when more than one or all of the I/M System Status indicators are set to NO.

Conditions for Running
Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 74 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is below 30°C (86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is below 30°C (86°F).
The difference between the intake air temperature (IAT) and the engine coolant temperature (ECT) is 8°C (14°F) or less.
The battery voltage is between 9-18 volts.
The fuel level is between ¼ and ¾.

Diagnostic Aids
Rough road conditions may prevent some of the tests from running. Extreme high or low ambient temperatures may prevent tests such as for the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) heater and the evaporative emission (EVAP) system from initiating. If a step is interrupted before completion, perform the remaining portion of the set procedures. Any portion of the set procedure that requires the engine at operating temperature may be repeated. This allows most of the diagnostics to run and the remaining tests can be performed using the individual System Set Procedures.

If the vehicle has recently run, start this procedure at Step 3. This will allow the tests that require the engine at operating temperature to run. Using this method allows shorter cool down periods if the tests requiring a cold start do not initiate.

The scan tool can be used in order to monitor each of the I/M System Status indicators during the I/M Complete System Set Procedure. When all of the indicators for a test step have updated to YES, testing can move on to the next step even if the remaining portion of the test is not complete. For example, step 3 is designed to run the EVAP, AIR, and HO2S tests. The procedure instructs the technician to operate the vehicle in the enable conditions for 6 minutes. If all 3 tests have updated to YES within 4 minutes, you do not need to continue with the enable conditions and testing can advance to the next step.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1 Make sure you perform the I/M System Check before performing this test. Failure to do so may result in difficulty updating the status to YES.

2 This step is to run the HO2S heater tests and initiate the EVAP System Test.

Preprogramming the scan tool will reduce the amount of time the oxygen sensor heaters operate while verifying the enable criteria.

The engine control module considers the engine to be cold if the following conditions are met:

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is less than 30°C (86°F).
The ECT and intake air temperature (IAT) are within 8°C (14°F) of each other at start up.
3 This step is to run the EVAP, the AIR and the oxygen sensor tests. The EVAP test begins once the engine coolant reaches a calibrated temperature. The AIR test, if equipped, begins shortly after Closed Loop and the indicated speed is achieved. The oxygen sensor tests begin once the engine is at operating temperature, in Closed Loop Fuel Control, and a calibrated amount of time has elapsed.

4 This step is to run the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) tests. The EGR tests are run during a gradual deceleration with a closed throttle. The vehicle speed is required to maintain a high, steady manifold absolute pressure (MAP) signal.

5 This step is to run the Catalyst Tests. This test runs during the idle period immediately following a cruise period that meets a minimum calibrated RPM and time period.

6 Perform the individual system test for any of the systems that do not update to YES.

7 The I/M System Status only reports on whether or not a diagnostic has run, not what the outcome of the test was. If any emission related DTC sets after the tests are complete, the DTC will require diagnosis.

Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Caution: Road test a vehicle under safe conditions and while obeying all traffic laws. Do not attempt any maneuvers that could jeopardize vehicle control. Failure to adhere to these precautions could lead to serious personal injury and vehicle damage.

Did you perform the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Check

Important
Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes in order to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Preprogram the scan tool with the vehicle information before the ignition is turned ON.
Ensure that the vehicle is within the Conditions for Running specified in the supporting text.
Turn OFF all of the accessories, including the A/C, and blower fan.
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle.
Allow the engine to idle for the specified time.
Is the action complete?
2 minutes
Go to Step 3
--

In order for the next group of tests to run, the vehicle must operate in the following conditions:

Acceleration at part throttle to 90 km/h (55 mph), with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8-10 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continue operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.
Is the action complete?
--
Go to Step 4
--

In order for the next group of tests to run, the vehicle must operate in the following conditions:

The vehicle speed reduced to 72 km/h (45 mph) with this speed maintained for one additional minute.
Four decelerations of 25 seconds each from 72 km/h (45 mph) while the following criteria are maintained:
The throttle is closed
NO brake application on either a manual or an automatic transmission
NO clutch actuation on a manual transmission
NO manual downshift
The vehicle speed remains above 40 km/h (25 mph)
After each deceleration period, the vehicle is returned to 72 km/h (45 mph) under part throttle acceleration and speed is maintained for 15 seconds.
Is the action complete?
--
Go to Step 5
--

Acceleration at part throttle to 75-89 km/h (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to 0 km/h (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria are maintained:
Service brake depressed
Automatic transmission in drive
Manual transmission in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed

Get notified of new replies

To OBDII Emissions test and prior PCM codes

Quick Reply: OBDII Emissions test and prior PCM codes