Sponsored by:

[Z06] manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 PM
turk2gk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default manual transmission

Here's the deal: I have a automatic c5 and I'm thinking about switching to a manual transmission instead of purchasing a new car. Is there any draw backs to doing this type of switch? I have a manual C5 transmission with 35,000 miles on it and my current a4 transmission has 65,000 miles on it. I have a good deal on the install and I'm just wanting to know if this is a good idea or not. I really like my car and I don't want to get rid of it, but I want a manual at the same time. I just am nervous about there being problems, so if anyone has any insight on this issue your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 AM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have people balking when you go to sell the car eventually. If you don't care about that I'd have it gone through since its out and put steel 3-4 shift fork, bronze fork pads, and billet synchro keys in to make it much more durable.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have any experience with this conversion. But I will say with my C4 I regretted doing a simple heads & cam because there ended up being so many extra parts/issues that I hadn't forseen. I would never mod significantly again.

Answer the simple question--is this a toy or does it see practical use? I wouldn't mess with a practical use car because this conversion will make it a little bit of a "project" for a while.

Don't forget that after you dump all this money in it, if it gets in an accident the very next day, the insurance co. will give you nothing for your manual trans work, parts or labor.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by turk2gk
Here's the deal: I have a automatic c5 and I'm thinking about switching to a manual transmission instead of purchasing a new car. Is there any draw backs to doing this type of switch? I have a manual C5 transmission with 35,000 miles on it and my current a4 transmission has 65,000 miles on it. I have a good deal on the install and I'm just wanting to know if this is a good idea or not. I really like my car and I don't want to get rid of it, but I want a manual at the same time. I just am nervous about there being problems, so if anyone has any insight on this issue your comments would be greatly appreciated.
^^Send a pm to AJG1915. He can tell you all about it as he did it himself in his driveway!!

BTW, it came out pretty good.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Its alot of work, especially if you want to do it perfectly. I did a conversion on my C4. I would only suggest it if you just have too many other things about your car that prohibits you from just buying a stick
C5. It is however, just a collection of parts that makes the difference, so it is possible with patience and a reasonable amount of ability(or a source of ability) I am happy I did mine, and no one knows the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To manual transmission

Quick Reply: [Z06] manual transmission