Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How to use fuel stabilizer in a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to use fuel stabilizer in a Z?

Since the Z06 has 2 gas tanks how do we use fuel stabilizer? I assume you can not just pour 18.5 gallons worth of stabilizer into the gas filler as all the stabilizer will only go into the first tank.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Skinny Kid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pour in the stabilizer just before you fill the tank.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

I've never used fuel stabilizer over the winter storage time (4~5 months) and have never had any issues with bad gas. Today's gasoline is much more stable then it use to be years ago. If you were to store the car for a year I would say use it, but otherwise IMO it's not necessary for a few month of storage.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Hatchetman325
Advanced

For less than $5 for a bottle, better safe than sorry in my book!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

I've never used it either and haven't had a problem.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I would not put that stuff in my tank. I've seen some pretty bad results with motorcycles I've had to fix for people that used it.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

rbartick - What type of damage have you seen? I have been using it for many years with no damage yet. Up to now I mix it in 7 gallon gas cans and then pump it into the Vette and also H3. It is a pain in the azz but I did not think you could just pour it into the tank because there are 2 tanks and the second one would only get a diluted amount?
We have 4 cars for the wife and I and only use the H3 off road and the Zo6 for rare pleasure cruises which are very rare considering my 2 jobs. I also do not ever want to place the Z at where I work because of potential damage. I do drive it every 3 weeks to keep the seals lubed and a smile/grin on my face. The wife keeps her jacket over her head most of the drive. True.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,009 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Robls6
I've never used it either and haven't had a problem.
I put in a jug of Techron and fill the tank before Plain Jane's nap.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Esquire0303
Instructor

Default Fuel additives

I've read several posts on this Forum and others about when to add Techron to our two-tank system as a prophylaxis for sulfur build up on the fuel level sensors (which commonly throws codes and drops the fuel level needle to zero after a fill-up). The concensus seems to be that it is best to run the tanks down to about 1/4-full, add the chemicals when you next fill the tank, drive the car for 15-20 minutes, and you're good to go.

The theory is that this will disperse/dilute an additive equally to both tanks ... if this is not just more barracks lawyering, it stands to reason that the procedure should also be used to instill Stabil in the tanks before putting your Vette up for a long Winter's nap.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
rbartick - What type of damage have you seen?
I've seen gas tanks and carbs full of a green, goopy mess. Carbs stuck so bad the owner snapped the throttle cable trying to free the throttle (on a dead bike). Every orifice clogged with the goop. When untreated gas evaporates it can leave behind a browish residue but in my experience the untreated gas residue is much less damaging than the stuff that gets left behind when treated gas evaporates. I'm not sure what product was used in the bikes I've fixed, but I'm not gonna mess with the stuff.

My 2002 Z06 has 11k miles (original owner) and I've never used the stuff. My 1994 sport bike has 10k miles and I never use the stuff. If a carb equipped gas engine (bike, snow blower, lawn mover, etc.) is going to sit for a long time your best best is to just run the fuel out of the carb and let it sit. Draining the tank is also a good idea for a mower or snow blower, but if you drain a bike tank condensation will probably rust the metal tank.

A car poses more concerns because of long fuel line runs, F/I, and other issues. I suppose if I were going to let my Vette sit for a very long time I'd just disable the fuel pump and run the car until the fuel rail and fuel lines were dry. When my car sits during the winter season I just try to warm it up fully at least once a month to keep the fuel flowing.

Last edited by rbartick; 02-23-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I have never had any problems using a fuel stabilizer either. I have a John Deere lawn tractor and John Deere recommends using fuel stabilizer in it all year long since it usually is run 2 hours per week when the grass is growing.

As for getting the stabilizer in the tank just make sure the tank needs 5+ gallons of gas and then pour the stabilizer in followed by the gasoline. Then run the car long enough to get the stabilizer all the way to the injectors. That is where it is most needed. I have seen many carbs gunked up due to not running the fuel stabilizer all the way through the system. Gasoline in a can or tank can go quite a while without getting too bad but when it is in the narrow passages of a carb it really makes a gunky mess when it dries.

Bill
Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
I do drive it every 3 weeks to keep the seals lubed and a smile/grin on my face. The wife keeps her jacket over her head most of the drive. True.
You are soo rich that a Z06 is soo below you that you're wife doesn't want to be seen in it?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

ptindall - no that is not it. The wife does not want to see 160-170 on the speedo. I can not even cover the speedo as she knows "fast"as when birds fly backwards.
Thanks for the advice, I will try the 1/4 tank fill.

Get notified of new replies

To How to use fuel stabilizer in a Z?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to use fuel stabilizer in a Z?