Sponsored by:

[Z06] Mini Tub or Fender Flair Help for 18X12's with 335's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini Tub or Fender Flair Help for 18X12's with 335's

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased a set 18X9.5 front and 18X12 rear C6Z06 replicas with C5Z06 offset from Bob at House of Wheels. I plan on putting a 315 or larger tire on the rear (probably a 335). I know that they will stick out. I am going to be running negative camber on the rear for some CCW classics with goodyear slicks for the track and also will be lowering the car on stock bolts. Do you think the tires will rub on the inner fender then too? My FRC has Z06 brake ducts in front of the rear tires but does not have hoses hooked up to them so that will not be an issue of rubbing the hoses.

Does anyone have instructions/pictures on how to do a mini tub? I am able to do the mini tub myself so I would rather do that than fender flares if a mini tub will solve my problems. Even if I do a mini tub though the tire will still stick out the fender correct?

What choices do I have for flares? I have been looking at the L5 flares but don't know if my 18X12's and 335's can fill those flares without looking like they are being swallowed up.

Am I going to have to do flares to cover the outside but also mini tub because the camber and being lowered on stock bolts? It seems like the mini tub is farely simple from the few pictures I saw of it.

Anyone have pictures of 335's on a 12 inch rim with no flares, flares, or mini tub on a car?

Any pictures, help, or links on how to do a mini tub or flares would be appreciated.

Thanks. -Eric

Last edited by Git Er Dun; 05-04-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 AM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://teamzr1.com/tubC5.html
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Thanks a lot! That was exactly what I was looking for to learn how to do the tubbing if I decide to go that route.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am going to be running negative camber on the rear for some CCW classics with goodyear slicks for the track and also will be lowering the car on stock bolts. Do you think the tires will rubber on the inner fender then too? My FRC has Z06 brake ducts in front of the rear tires but does not have hoses hooked up to them so that will not be an issue of rubbing the hoses.

Whow big guy

DO NOT LOWER your car. Lowering is for ppl who do not drive much.

Look at the ON track Photos, you will see lots of body roll even with stiff suspension so lowering will only damage and hinder your driving. Get your car aligned and corner balanced would be much better

YES The tires will rub. the GY G19s are tall tires about a 37.5% profile and yes they rub. They rubbed most of my inner wheel well liner away. and I cut out the remainder

Dont bother with a mini tub. just cost too much money and time

rear brake ducks hoses will need to come out for the wheels to fit, no problems here
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
PistolTerrence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with the L5 fender flares, and i'm running the c6 z spider style wheels with 345s. i even need wheel spacers to get the fit flush, and i'm lowering it to get rid of that ugly wheel gap
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah never thought about the GY slicks being a taller profile. I could have it aligned at stock height for the track with the GY slicks and then lower it on stock bolts for the street and then just raise it up again for the track couldn't I? The seller of the CCW's and GY's is a buddy of mine that tracks his car a lot and said that the 18X12 CCW's with GY's will not rub on the back and also don't need tubbing but they would stick out. I am fine with sticking out for the track but for the street I do not want that look. I can do the mini tub myself and it doesn't look that hard to do but will the mini tub really be necessary since Bob and the seller said that the offsets I bought will just make the tire stick out. Will I only need flares then or would it still help to mini tub it just to be on the safe side?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
Oh yeah never thought about the GY slicks being a taller profile. I could have it aligned at stock height for the track with the GY slicks and then lower it on stock bolts for the street and then just raise it up again for the track couldn't I?
do you want to live on the alingment rack? ie not worth the time nor money. and lowering by counting threads IS THE WRONG way to lower your car.

Put on the race wheels, and get a good aggressive street alignment, then corner balance and leave it there.

front

-1.8 to -2.0* camber
Caster MAX but equal
1/32 to 1/16" OUT

Rear
-1.0 camber
1/32 to 1/16" IN

No cross camber numbers, NO cross toe number No ranges
numbers must be exact.
Use INCHES NOT DEGREES

The seller of the CCW's and GY's is a buddy of mine that tracks his car a lot and said that the 18X12 CCW's with GY's will not rub on the back and also don't need tubbing but they would stick out. I am fine with sticking out for the track but for the street I do not want that look. I can do the mini tub myself and it doesn't look that hard to do but will the mini tub really be necessary since Bob and the seller said that the offsets I bought will just make the tire stick out. Will I only need flares then or would it still help to mini tub it just to be on the safe side?
if you can do the tub yourself then it is not so bad. Specter works makes flairs that bolt right up. Much less expesive then whole fenders with flairs

Now the G19s, What rubber compound are they?

350, 375 or 450 or ?

I have a bunch of G19 18x28.5x12.5 350 compounds in my basement,

450s should get you two weekends

375 and 350s might get you ONE DAY as they are very very sticky. DO not drive these on the road what so ever

If the Nitto is an 100 rating, which is real close

the Good Year G19s are:

350 ~ 35 rating
375 ~ 37.5 rating
450 ~ 45 rating

old pic

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-04-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 AM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
I can do the mini tub myself and it doesn't look that hard to do but will the mini tub really be necessary since Bob and the seller said that the offsets I bought will just make the tire stick out. Will I only need flares then or would it still help to mini tub it just to be on the safe side?
Mini tub or flares are going to be dependent on the offset of the wheels. The simple answer is; if the extra width (over stock) is inboard, you'll need tubs. If the extra width is outboard you'll need flares.

Try this calculator to check things
out:

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

If the seller said they will fit by "sticking out" I'm going to assume the tubs will do nothing to help and you will need flares.

Good luck...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Sorry I do not know the rating on them as I just got them and I am in Iraq. I will NOT be driving on the street with R compound that's what I got the C6Z rims for. You have a very good point about setting the alignment and leaving it. Thanks for the advice on camber and toe settings.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

The C6Z06 replicas are C5Z06 offset and Bob at House of Wheels said they will not rub and just stick out. I don't know how they will look with 315 or 335's on them though and how much they will stick out. Anyone have any pics of 335's on a 12" C5 offset rim?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Here's another question. Will a 295 fit on a 12" rim? What is the smallest tire size that will fit a 12" and not be dangerous? I'm guessing that a 295 would not work since that is stock for a 10.5" rim and that's a big step up from 10.5" to 12". But say it would work that would not stick out at all correct? If a 295 is too small I will probably go with a 315 if it doesn't stick out the fender too bad on a 12" rim. Anyone have any good pictures of a 315 on a 12" to show how much it sticks out the side of the fender? I am trying to figure out the best way to do this since I really don't want to add flares other than the L5's, and I think the L5's with swallow up my 12" wide wheels and look funny without a 13" rim that has a good amount of lip for the rim. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. -Eric

Last edited by Git Er Dun; 05-04-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So because we tub the cars, it needs to be realigned?
Y because of the wider tires, or taller issues?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

No I am doing an agressive alignment for track driving with road racing slicks.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tramminc
YES

When ever you change tires or camber, a new alignment is a good idea

Unless you have camber plates, an alignment can move with normal use.

Tires ware out changes alignment.

Spend the extra $100 or learn to do your own alignments.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tramminc
I meant to say no you do not need to do a new alignment if you simply mini tub or add fender flares because that doesn't change anything with the suspension

If you add tires, different rims, or both you should do an alignment. I would be doing an alignment anyways since I need to change the camber and toe for the racing slicks and track driving.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Well did a BUNCH of looking around lately for options and here is some ideas/questions I have come up with:

I really really like the look of the L5's but just don't know if that is too much flare for my set up. If I do decide to add flares I will go with a 335/30/18 tire on the C6Z 18X12 rims (C5Z offset). I keep looking at the L5 flares but keep thinking that they look awsome with a CCW 505A in 18X13 and 335's or 345's but a 18X12 and very little lip on the rims might not look right with those flares. I have a feeling that they would stick out too far and I would be forced to add longer studs and spacers just to get the edge of the rims somewhat close to the flare edge and that would just look like the flare is trying to eat my wheels haha. I didn't really want to use spacers if I don't have to either.

I like how your ACP fender flares (the ones AU N EGL has) add enough flair but are still stealthy about it. The entire flare is 3/4" and the L5's are 2" correct? How do you think the 3/4" flare would look with 18X12 rims in C5Z offset and 335's? Do you think the outside of the rim/tire would line up pretty well with the outside of the flare and not need spacers? I'm hoping that with the ACP flares it won't be really noticable that my fenders are flared and I will be left with a flare that covers the tire and sits pretty much flush with the wheel. Do you think that the ACP flares can do that for me?

Another option that I stated I am not opposed to is mini tubbing my car. I am going to take AU N EGL advice and do the alignment numbers he posted for my camber and toe. I will have it aligned with the GY slicks/CCW's and then pull those off and put the C6Z repos on for the street. I will not be changing the ride height for the street. I was thinking that with the rear having negative camber if I was to buy a 315 tire for the 18X12's would it really stick out that much with no fender modifications or would the camber sort of tuck the rubber in? I'm guessing it still would stick out a considerable amount so it would be better to just tub it. I have also read that people do mini tubs OR flares. How would mini tubs help with the tire sticking out issue? Do they just buy different offset rims so that the tire would hit the inner fenderwall a lot before the tub, but sit flush with the normal fender edge and after they do the tub everything looks/works just fine?

I think my BEST option right now looks like the ACP flares since they are only 3/4" and everything else seems to be set up for 18X13" rims with 345 tires so they have 2" lips.

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I searched pretty much every topic related to fender flares and still have all these questions. Sorry for the MASSIVE amount of questions. I would really appreciate it if you could try to answer most of them to the best of your ability. I am just learning about all of this and trying to learn from people that have a great wealth of knowledge helps a lot. Thanks -Eric
Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Eric

PM returned

More pics of the ACP body parts

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v172/AUNEGL/Mods2/

white vert is my wife's vette

Get notified of new replies

To Mini Tub or Fender Flair Help for 18X12's with 335's

Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Why lowering your car is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Look at the body roll on these two vettes.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...p-video-2.html

YES they have stiff racing suspensions on too. If they were lowered too much or <koff> slammed they could not corner anywhere near the speeds the do, 80+ mph on this corner
Old 05-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Wally and Aaron's car's are stock height? Wow that's pretty impressive that with slicks and stiff suspensions that the wheel gap is so small through that turn. I was only planning on lowering slightly so it didn't have monster truck wheel gap but guess that is a big no since I would probably bottom something out at the track. Thanks a lot for posting the link to that picture.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Thanks for more pictures of your car AU N EGL. I am really leaning twords doing the ACP 3/4" flares because I think it will be just enough to tuck 335's in on a C5Z offset 12" rim. That's really interesting how the Michelins can be that far off from a Hoosier. Thanks for your help so far guys and any and all help is always appreciated.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mini Tub or Fender Flair Help for 18X12's with 335's