Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] ZR1-Inspired C5 Side Skirts (sorry, pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Vert'd Z0
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ZR1-Inspired C5 Side Skirts (sorry, pic heavy)

OK, first things first. I have to give credit to $$$frumnuttin' (member) for his detailed post on his idea/execution of this mod.

Since his post, I have wanted to try this DIY mod. He used Azek composite trim to add side skirts to his TR C5. A couple things i wanted to try to expand on his original idea was to:
1) use a 1/2" round over bit in my router instead of a 1/4" and,
2) instead of straight and flush with the side profile of the car, angle them outward towards the rear to incorporate what i feel is one of the cool features of the new ZR1 which is to have a rear splash guard incorporated into the side skirt in front of the rear tire.

Without re-living the "nuts and bolts" part of his original post, these first shots are of the mock-up. You'll prolly notice I first tried the 1/4" round over at this stage. Also of note are the generic Kragen's splash guards i used for the rear:

I then dismantled everything, re-routered the edges to 1/2" and Plasti-Dip'd the skirts. $$$frumnuttin' was right about the PlastiDip being a dust magnet. My plan is to roll these for a couple days to make sure the mounting/design is sound and then will prolly have them painted C5 black to match. The other thing i now notice is just how trashed my rockers/lower doors are. I may have to have that entire lower area on both sides re-shot . Anyways, here are the results:

Sorry for the lack of daylight, but this was an entire weekend project and this was when I finished.

Thanks for looking and, as usual, all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Peace,

Rich aka Vert'd Z0
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, I think if you had a rounded edge on the splash guards it would look better though.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1-Inspired C5 Side Skirts (sorry, pic heavy)