Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5 ZO6 clutch install + what else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 AM
besmith51
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 ZO6 clutch install + what else?

A new guy here: With no recent Corvette experience, I acquired a previously stolen, lightly damaged (cosmetic only - no steel) 2003 ZO6 with 34k miles and a slipping clutch (I have not yet driven it). I drive very moderately. Question: What's the normal life of a slave cylinder? Should I look at replacing that, too? I did buy the remote bleeder line. What else, given the stolen history, should I consider replacing or seriously looking at while I have the system apart, and what, if any, aftermarket clutches should I particularly avoid considering?

Last edited by besmith51; 02-01-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: omitted word
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, replace the slave while you have it apart. They are not expensive. Remote bleeder is worth it's weight in gold. IMHO for a moderately driven DD car, the stock Z06 clutch will be fine and give long life. If you are going to drag or track the car, there are numerous threads on clutch selection in the appropriate forums.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
besmith51
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, replace the slave while you have it apart. They are not expensive. Remote bleeder is worth it's weight in gold. IMHO for a moderately driven DD car, the stock Z06 clutch will be fine and give long life. If you are going to drag or track the car, there are numerous threads on clutch selection in the appropriate forums.
Thanks. I'm still trying to get competent at navigating the site.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup, replace the slave

I'm dropping my hurt trans soon and I will be replacing the driveshaft coupling, the slave, the pilot bearing, the master (which doesn't require a dropped trans at all, but I have a Tick adjustable in my garage so I'll do it at the same time) and installing the Mantic ER2 clutch kit as well as a speed bleeder line.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM
besmith51
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Yup, replace the slave

I'm dropping my hurt trans soon and I will be replacing the driveshaft coupling, the slave, the pilot bearing, the master (which doesn't require a dropped trans at all, but I have a Tick adjustable in my garage so I'll do it at the same time) and installing the Mantic ER2 clutch kit as well as a speed bleeder line.
Tell me, please, about the driveshaft coupling? Is it a common fail part? Or something that isn't too expensive that should just be changed because it can be with everything apart?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by besmith51
Tell me, please, about the driveshaft coupling? Is it a common fail part? Or something that isn't too expensive that should just be changed because it can be with everything apart?
It's also known as a "giubo"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...placement.html
Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Even though it has low miles I'd replace the slave for the fact that it is 11 years old. Our premium kits come with a new one, don't hesitate if you have any questions about a Monster Clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 ZO6 clutch install + what else?

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 ZO6 clutch install + what else?