Sponsored by:

[Z06] Finally got my own Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Brock63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally got my own Z06

Well, been a member here since 2012 and lurked on searched threads for a lot longer. My fathers best friend in the Marine Corps was Mr. Bob (Bob Countryman) and he had a Stingray...guessing it was around 1968/9 by my age back then...it was blue and bad ***. His wife, Mrs. Jan, was hot too and had a crush on her back then. LOL. Maybe it was the association between power and beauty of the car and then his hot wife that did me in for Corvettes at an early age. I was devastated when I heard that the car was ruined when he got orders to Hawaii and the frame rusted.

Years later my friends would be fixing up their Nova, Chevelle, Camaro, Formula Firebirds, Trans Ams, GTO, Challengers, Mustangs, etc.....and other than a Camaro SS..none really excited me.

First year of college and a girl that attended classes wanted to carpool. I show up in my 76 Chevy pickup and she asks if we can take mine as she hates driving her car. I am thinking VW or Pacer or something...nope it was a 1980 Corvette. LOL So from then on when it was her time to drive...she would drive my truck...when my time I would drive her Vette. This gave me some wheel time for a year or two until I got married and carpooling with another woman in a Corvette was frowned upon. LMAO

Joined military, had family....couple short jaunts with BMW 2002 tii, Saab 900 Turbo, VW Jetta GLi, BMW 335i...but the Vette always caught my eye. My sister in law had a C4...and she hated it....her father bought it for her as well when she graduated from college....she and the car both did not last long in family.

Now I am much older...empty nester....two grand kids....and been jonesing for a Vette for 10 years...finally got one...not as planned and not in time period I expected. What started as a ride to Atlanta to check out some Vettes at BuyAVette where they have a huge selection of every evolution of the Vette for what I thought was the best side by side comparison testing.

Wife was dead set on looking at a C6...she likes the shape and looks better and the more modern interior. They have a cyber gray she fell in love with. So we tested a few cars including her favorite cyber gray C6 Z51....car had been driven...was sound but could see the wear on paint and interior especially with the glass roof fading interior slightly. Checked on buying painted top to replace the glass top and were contemplating putting down payment on it actually ahead of our Summer 2015 original schedule.

So I tell her, "Let's take a ride in a C5Z...since that is my favorite style...and though I dont want a red one (prefer silver or blue) would take out for a spin to see how it compares to C6"

Well we get in and first thing I notice is the interior is MINT CONDITION for a 2002 Vette. Then I notice the paint is nearly flawless too with a deep wet looking shine..no chips, swirls, nothing. I keep it to myself...as she is dead set on the C6 Z51 and I dont want to ruin a good thing. LOL

I crank it up and the LS6 roars to life....adjust mirrors...adjust radio...HVAC...put into first and pull out...and she says..."This one looks WAY BETTER than the other even though I like the gray color" Then we discussed the C5Z only had 19k miles and was a few thousand cheaper....and she started saying...well it would be stupid to get the C6 if this car is this new looking and fresh and low mileage for less money and the same performance.

Hahahaha...I was smiling inside so much not wanting to give my poker face...as I asked, "I thought you wanted to wait until we could pay cash for whole thing?" She said well we got enough to cover most of it...and we will just have to share it for a bit until I get something for myself in a year or two...so I will drive your LX470 with the offroad tires and such with grand kids.

So we brought home that evening to Charleston SC a Torch Red 2002 C5Z06...with black interior and absolutely stock except for tinted windows.

2002 Corvette Z06

Got a good deal though slightly more than might could have got on private buy...but the inspection and warranty was worth it for peace of mind. Also, got $1000 worth of parts or accessories of my choosing as part of the deal that was written into contract and I will pick later they will ship to me and I will install myself.

Intiially going to take care of must haves and one WANT...the Want...is the VaraRam CAI with PowerDuct. THe MUST haves will include the valve spring kit to put the GM blue springs and intake/exhaust seals in along with new wires and plugs. Also going to put the steering wheel lockout kit on as soon as possible.

Planning on some interior mods like Vette Tray and Partition, shift ****, maybe a new head unit to replace factory stereo.....and leave it mostly stock until wife stops sharing and has her own car. Then a tune, lowering bolts, maybe new exhaust with long tube headers, heat shield kit, blackout kit for signals, aero headlights, 18/19 wheels with new rubbers......

Thanks for all the posts, write ups, and technical info that is to be found here that helped me make my decision and know what to look for when inspecting the cars.

Thanks again.....today I am back in the Lexus....It is my daily driver but also now hunting season so wife gets Vette Fri-Sun (unless we go out and then she lets me drive still LOL )....and I drive it to work Mon-Thu. Small penance to pay for her allowing me to buy it.....at least for next year or two until she gets something for herself.

Last edited by Brock63; 10-31-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:04 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

I loved reading this thread!!! Awesome enjoy and be safe!! Cool wife too.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Nice car! you're gonna love it! Congratulations
PS first thing is READ you owner's manual. It will tell you (among other good advice) NOT to lower your car more than ONE HALF inch!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Brock63
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Nice car! you're gonna love it! Congratulations
PS first thing is READ you owner's manual. It will tell you (among other good advice) NOT to lower your car more than ONE HALF inch!
yep first thing I did was read Owners Manual. ALso found that there is no lug nut key in trunk...but then looks like I have chrome lug nuts on all wheels without any plastic covers so maybe they were replaced and ditched by previous owner.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM
jstewa77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoy.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:37 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Congratulations. Can't beat a Torch Red C5 Z06!!!

BTW, did you happen to get it from BuyAVette in Atlanta? They have a 02 Torch Red Z06 with 19K listed,

If you did, great place to buy from. They will stand behind what they sell.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 10-31-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Sargent1
Instructor

Great car. Bring it out to Cars & Coffee in Mount Pleasant some time. Every Saturday morning 0800-1100.

Chris
Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Congratulations! drive it in good health!

I picked up a 03 TR C5Z myself a few months ago love the car! I was after a black one but the red looked so good when I seen it I couldn't say no

good think for me my wife can drive manual
Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

In my experience seeing a c5 in person is worlds better than in pictures. Multiple people have mentioned that they prefer the c6 in pictures, but the c5 in person.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Brock63
Instructor

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Congratulations. Can't beat a Torch Red C5 Z06!!!

BTW, did you happen to get it from BuyAVette in Atlanta? They have a 02 Torch Red Z06 with 19K listed,

If you did, great place to buy from. They will stand behind what they sell.
yes I did...some hate them and some love them. I went primarily to see if their cars and their process was all they CLAIM it to be....and it was. Like stated...wasnt planning on serious search until Spring 2015....but stuff happens.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:03 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock63
yes I did...some hate them and some love them. I went primarily to see if their cars and their process was all they CLAIM it to be....and it was. Like stated...wasnt planning on serious search until Spring 2015....but stuff happens.

Thought it looked and sounded familiar!

Did you happen to go back to the SPECIAL SECTION in the back of the shop? The place I call DROOL CORNER?

That is where I bought my last Vette from as well. Little sister to yours (03 Torch Red) with about the same mileage (when I bought it).
Old 11-02-2014, 02:03 PM
DarkZ06
Advanced

Great write up, enjoyed the story, congrats!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

C5z>c6
Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Brock63
Instructor

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Thought it looked and sounded familiar!

Did you happen to go back to the SPECIAL SECTION in the back of the shop? The place I call DROOL CORNER?

That is where I bought my last Vette from as well. Little sister to yours (03 Torch Red) with about the same mileage (when I bought it).
yes...drooled over remod 63 split window all modern inside and out....and also a black 63 that was restored and more original....and a 427 as well. Sweet cars in the INDOOR SHOWROOM.

Got out racing game on XBOX and chose the 2002 Z06...took it on Nirenbergring and tore it up...won a couple but figured out why I could not get over 158mph in back straight away on the 3rd segment race....once I did replay it is wonder hood did not fly off. LOL

Last edited by Brock63; 11-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got my own Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally got my own Z06