Sponsored by:

[Z06] Curious about California owers and exhaust/cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Curious about California owers and exhaust/cam

Since most people in Cali are stuck when it comes to exhaust mods, wonder what you guys do if you want to add a cam?

I know that some are putting the LS7 exhaust manifolds on their machines, but what about others? If you are doing an Xpipe and catback system with a new Cam, what are some of the performance numbers you are seeing?

Have a friend in Cali that is asking me about this. Since most of here in the rest of the US are OK with headers, wondered what the Cali crowd is doing about this and how this affects the overall performance numbers without headers and a Cam swap.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The C6 ZR1/Z06 exhaust manifold and X-Pipe is the best solution for a free flowing exhaust, if you want to stay legal. There are a few shortie headers that are CARB approved, but they don't flow much better than a stock Z06 exhaust. The C6 exhaust has been dynoed with hp numbers close to long tube headers, and torque just a little below long tubes. I'm sure some people have passed smog by finding a friendly smog tech, but with fines and penalties going up, most smog stations won't risk their license to do it. There are write ups from MadMatt and RedZMonty about doing the swap, and it doesn't seem too involved, besides welding on air fittings on the C6 manifolds.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-exhaust.html
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are cam setups designed to be run behind stock exhausts. also, while not technically legal the ls7/ls9 setups are getting more popular although torque supposedly suffers compared to long tubes as already mentioned.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

For California emissions, you're not going to be able to get away with anything over a 224/224 anyway (you'll fail the sniffer), so exhaust restriction is less of a concern

The LS7/9 manifolds into those factory cats and either the Ti or your choice of aftermarket muffs would be absolutely fine at that power level

Other power mods like heads, ported LS2 throttle body, and a ported intake manifold are pretty close to undetectable
Old 12-11-2014, 12:25 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Other power mods like heads, ported LS2 throttle body, and a ported intake manifold are pretty close to undetectable

Fast 102 intake is CARB legal now.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 AM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dagon138
Fast 102 intake is CARB legal now.
Have more info on that? Googling and I don't find anything that seems current. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:52 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Have more info on that? Googling and I don't find anything that seems current. Thanks.
Other than looking at the their website....I got a CARB sticker in the box with mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Curious about California owers and exhaust/cam

Quick Reply: [Z06] Curious about California owers and exhaust/cam