[Z06] Help with 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:27 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with 2nd gear

Hey guys,

I really hope someone out there can help with me a frustrating issue I've been having, many thanks in advance for those who contribute, I'm sure others who might be experiencing same problem will be grateful also.

Ok so my car is a 2003 Z06, 93K miles. I've changed the clutch @ 85K miles with a LS7 clutch, changed the master & slave cylinder. Also installed a Fidanza flywheel and I am running Redline transmission fluid. I have the remote clutch bleeder, and I've just recently changed the fluid and used to the bleeder to make sure no air bubbles are in. Lastly, my shift is the C6 Z06 shifter.

My problem is that, especially when cold, when I shift from 1st to 2nd, sometimes, no real pattern, it will refuse to go into gear, it does not pop-out or anything, just refuses to go in, once I rev it a bit and try again it will go in. After some driving, it seems to be fine.

Before I changed the clutch, shifter & fluids, I never had this issue, I only sometimes had 1st gear popout which I heard was common if you don't really make sure it is in.

Only thing I have not tried is the shifter adjustment but that would not seem to fix it since it seems more weather based/fluid temperature than all the time.

Question - what do you guys think is the issue? Also, my shifter does not always return back (ie it does not center by itself). Any recommendation guys? Please and thank you!!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:10 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Maybe too obvious... you have installed/tuned in a 1-4 shift delete of some sort, yes?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Yes, I did. It's the electronic one that still shows the light but doesn't block. You think because it's a different shifter it might be causing issues since it's a shorter shifter?

Originally Posted by grantv
Maybe too obvious... you have installed/tuned in a 1-4 shift delete of some sort, yes?
Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 AM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

If anyone else has any other ideas/thoughts I'd love to hear them!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:21 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

the shifter not returning to center sounds like something is binding in the shift shaft are you sure the tab on shifter box is in the grove on the torque tube at the bottom,and not just sitting outside and the bolts are just making it feel seated this will put the shift shaft in a bad location and can cause binding. just a thought and Ihave seen more than one assembled wrong.

Last edited by 555ss; 05-13-2016 at 06:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 2nd gear

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with 2nd gear