Sponsored by:

[Z06] tuned on a dynometer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I don't understand what you are saying? It's a Mustang dyno, they read low, if the A/F and timing are in place then there's not much more to expect for a car with a cold air intake IMHO.

How do you know everything is not OK? "A little rich down low" takes away next to nothing on HP and wouldn't effect the upper end regardless. I intentionally make most cars a little rich down low, I have found it decreases detonation up top. Not a pig rich mind you, but if it was then he would not have told you it was OK right?

As I said though, you are welcome to come here and I'll data log it for N/C, can't beat that for just a mail order tune that was confirmed "good" by another shop. All shops are in business to make money, if there were any corrections to be made worth making, they would have justifiably taken your money to do so.
I have had fast cars blowers, cams you name it! My car is not right...I don't want to get into a pissing match not trying to point fingers just want my car to run right. I shouldnt have to drive to you...if you say he's a gd tuner then I should be able to go back to him. Maybe the dyno was off that day because a Honda was on there over the weekend and someone messed with the settings. He has crazy cars in his shop so I can't see him not knowing what he is doing.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Dynos are a tool. Period. Your numbers do look low, but if the guy operating the dyno said the timing and air fuel look dead on, then there is obviously another issue. Possible valvespring issue? The tune could look fine and you'd never know otherwise with bad valvesprings.

For reference, my '01 with the same mods made 382/379 but on a dynojet also with a mail order tune.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Can't go by that, the car is a manual, way to many variables to say the car should run "X" MPH. I couldn't tell you how many times I jumped in the seat of an auto and put 5 MPH on the owner, let alone manuals. Simply because I have thousands of passes down the drag strip, it's just like bowling, there's a knack to it. Not saying this individual cannot drive nor do I know his track experience, I'm sure he is awesome, but track experience makes a big difference on MPH just as much as ET.
It's a start. If the DA is low and he knows how to somewhat drive it's a good indication if the car is running right.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:04 PM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 04zjimc
well not lying... clearly telling me everything is OK when it's not. How about a solution to my problem? I guess he didn't want to make money that day? I really don't no what to tell you...
Just want to chime in here. We dynoed Jim's car Tuesday morning, the weather correction factor was at .990, which meant the dyno was removing 1% from the uncorrected number. As for the numbers our dyno is a bit stingy as are most Mustang Dyno's. I can tell you that the tune on the car was pretty much dead on. If it was not I would have let Jim know that there was an issue. Traction was off for sure!!! You cant run a car with traction on. Nothing I can see in the tune was indicating the issue Jim was concerned about. The AF was 12.2's on the hit and quickly climbed to between 12.4-12.7 through the RPM band, Timing was a steady 22, with no knock present and no IAT retard as well. As far as us not wanting the business, that's just silly. I just felt that the expense of a re-tune was not worth it for Jim, and also felt that it wasn't going to solve his concern.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:10 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMmotorsports
Just want to chime in here. We dynoed Jim's car Tuesday morning, the weather correction factor was at .990, which meant the dyno was removing 1% from the uncorrected number. As for the numbers our dyno is a bit stingy as are most Mustang Dyno's. I can tell you that the tune on the car was pretty much dead on. If it was not I would have let Jim know that there was an issue. Traction was off for sure!!! You cant run a car with traction on. Nothing I can see in the tune was indicating the issue Jim was concerned about. The AF was 12.2's on the hit and quickly climbed to between 12.4-12.7 through the RPM band, Timing was a steady 22, with no knock present and no IAT retard as well. As far as us not wanting the business, that's just silly. I just felt that the expense of a re-tune was not worth it for Jim, and also felt that it wasn't going to solve his concern.

Love this forum sometimes
Old 09-08-2016, 03:58 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

Originally Posted by JTMmotorsports
Hey john, so is there something else I should look for as to why it's flat at 5000 and up? Something is up because I can feel it when I go through the gears on the street. That's the reason why I brought it down to you in the first place.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:44 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

Well Im making a new appointment for another dyno run and will find out what's wrong with my car. When I sent my pcm to ecs I was under the impression they up the timing alittle..that's what it says on there website. My timing wasn't touched. Any results will be posted. Have not heard from jtm or doug since the last post on this thread. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:50 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,087 Likes on 657 Posts

Well Im making a new appointment for another dyno run and will find out what's wrong with my car. When I sent my pcm to ecs I was under the impression they up the timing alittle..that's what it says on there website. My timing wasn't touched. Any results will be posted. Have not heard from jtm or doug since the last post on this thread. Thanks!

I'm sorry, I did not know you wanted either of us to contact you. I do not have any other suggestions at this moment. The data logs from JTM show the car is on, so I do not foresee my logs being any different, but my offer still stands that I'll be glad to check it out myself for N/C. That's a pretty fair shake for a mail order tune that already got one "clean bill of health".

As for timing that's correct, we used to be able to raise timing from stock while leaning it out some too. Now the gas has not been as reliable as it used to be 10-15 years ago. This is my experience working to protect you and your engine. If I could safety, I would.
Have your tuner do a comparison of a stock file to your file, the list of changes is fairly long. Way more then most hand held programmers change.

JTM totally did the right thing for you by not taking your money to do next to nothing in changes. That says a lot about them IMHO.

We (ECS) are willing to do whatever is within reason to see if this is a case of a low reading dyno/higher customer expectations of bolt on's, or a legitimate problem. Again, I offered to do this for N/C earlier in this thread.

I'm trying to do anything I can for you, but since all the logs came up fine, I can't help you without seeing the vehicle.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:17 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

I'm sorry, I did not know you wanted either of us to contact you. I do not have any other suggestions at this moment. The data logs from JTM show the car is on, so I do not foresee my logs being any different, but my offer still stands that I'll be glad to check it out myself for N/C. That's a pretty fair shake for a mail order tune that already got one "clean bill of health".

As for timing that's correct, we used to be able to raise timing from stock while leaning it out some too. Now the gas has not been as reliable as it used to be 10-15 years ago. This is my experience working to protect you and your engine. If I could safety, I would.
Have your tuner do a comparison of a stock file to your file, the list of changes is fairly long. Way more then most hand held programmers change.

JTM totally did the right thing for you by not taking your money to do next to nothing in changes. That says a lot about them IMHO.

We (ECS) are willing to do whatever is within reason to see if this is a case of a low reading dyno/higher customer expectations of bolt on's, or a legitimate problem. Again, I offered to do this for N/C earlier in this thread.

I'm trying to do anything I can for you, but since all the logs came up fine, I can't help you without seeing the vehicle.
doug I hear what your saying.. but that graph where it starts to nose dive is where I'm having the problem. Most shops are not open on Saturday so for me to bring my car during the week would not work for me now. I'm not saying you did something wrong but I am saying that graph is not right...I have talked to 2 different tuners and even emailed the dyno sheet they also agree somethings up.so all I can do is put it back on the dyno and see what happens.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:34 PM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey john, so is there something else I should look for as to why it's flat at 5000 and up? Something is up because I can feel it when I go through the gears on the street. That's the reason why I brought it down to you in the first place.
Jim my apologies for not responding sooner, I was away upstate with crappy service for the weekend. As to what can cause your problem, without going over the car, and knowing the tune is not causing the issue it is very difficult to say.. could be a multitude of things, just be careful who you bring the car to, as there are people who will take your money.. Let me know if there is anything I can do, I have no problem helping out, however I can.
John
Old 09-16-2016, 01:44 AM
Jason Zajac
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok wanted to see what my car put down will post a graph later... mods are xs headers and a vararam 340 to the wheels... not sure what to think? Graph looks great though
As long as the car runs good don't worry about dyno numbers. It is a tool and on average a Mustang dyno that hasn't been messed with will read 11-15% lower than a dynojet. Here is a picture of a C5 Z06 I tuned that was stock with a Vararam. I scaled the graph the same as yours for comparison

Old 09-18-2016, 01:59 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

ok..alittle update I have been driving the car and power comes and goes were it will feel fast then slow. Well I got no check engine light but got tcs c1221h c1222h and c1248 can this be my issue?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:58 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

Well it looks like I got some bad gas!! Doug had mentioned that to me. I use nothing but shell 93 this gad station is fairly new and it was a sunoco. It is a busy gas station. I put in 7 gallons of BP and power and pull has come back, but I still had a 1/4 of a tank of bad fuel mixed. My ltft were in the - at idle don't know if that's normal
Old 09-25-2016, 11:44 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

My 03Z dyno'd 350whp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, which I have been told is very close to a mustang dyno as far as numbers. My mods were long tubes w/catted x-pipe and a vararam intake.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:54 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

You guys are so hung up on where it stops climbing, but I'm looking at how long the thing holds on and it looks spot on in that respect. Knock retard would have a bigass trough that this car doesn't have.

Quick Reply: [Z06] tuned on a dynometer?