Sponsored by:

[Z06] Disable active handling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Gary K Sr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable active handling?

Today I autox'ed the z06 and as usual started out slow on the first run with marked improvement on the next two. When I went back for my next three runs I got slower with each run. I'm thinking either there's something wrong with the car or age is beginning to rear it's ugly head! After a discussion with my son (FTD in the same car) we figured out that I forgot to disable active handling (result of sinus problems and five hours sleep the night before). I was preoccupied with where to shave some time on the course and simply didn't think about pressing the damn button. My question is can I disable the active handling by using a momentary relay, a different switch, or maybe rewiring the circuit at the stock switch so that it stays off anytime the ignition is turned on? I figure that I lost three to four seconds with active handling on. BTW, the car is not street driven so that is not an issue. Thanks, Gary.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Hey Gary, I seen some treads here about a module that keep the car in competition mode all the time and should be an easy connection to the cars system. I don't think it disables the active handling all together but try a quick search on the forum tread search.

Hope this helps and good luck....
Old 09-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

When you say disable did you hold it down for 10 seconds to shut it off?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Autocrossing is all about mental discipline. Develop a consistent set of things you do at the track and do it every time. It will get you into a groove and you won't throw away any runs making a mistake like that.

When I'm getting strapped in I have a set of things I do EVERY time and it helps to get you mentally prepared for a run. First I put on the helmet, then the sunglasses... Then I put the seat all the way back, cinch the belts and then slide the seat forward to tighten them up. Once I start the engine I ALWAYS immediately turn off the A/H and check the to make sure the symbol on the dash is lit... It's like a checklist on an airplane, you do it every time and it becomes second nature and it helps to prepare YOU mentally for what is next. Also helps to relax you and put you into the zone...
Old 09-15-2016, 10:53 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty2000SS
When you say disable did you hold it down for 10 seconds to shut it off?
Only have to push the button once to turn AH off, press and hold to put it in Comp Mode.

edit: at least this is how it works on my '02 Z06.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 09-15-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Gary K Sr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the replies! My particular problem lies in the fact that I learned to drive (pedal modulation & steering input) many years ago in sports and muscle cars long before cars had any electronics. I have been blessed with quick reflexes and the ability to read road conditions. I have not done any autocross for fifteen years and just got back into it last Fall. I am hoping to become competitive again and would rather learn to be able to get everything out of the Z that it is capable of without dealing with electronics. This is why I thought there might be a way to defeat the AH anytime I turn the ignition on without having a "checklist" of things to do. I tend to focus so much on the course and my driving that I block out everything else. For the short term I am putting some labels on the dash/steering wheel to remind me to turn off the AH. I don't even like ABS but I guess that is a necessary evil I have to live with. I am a control freak and derive my sense of satisfaction from knowing that I did it and not the computer/module. I even called a racer here on the forum and even though he has the "reminders" in his car sometimes he just plain forgets. I am going to continue to research my "problem" and if I find a solution I will start a new thread on the subject

Thanks again, Gary.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary K Sr

Thanks again, Gary.
There's a simple solution Gary if you want to go completely nanniless (no AH or ABS) There's 2 fuses you can pull under the hood to defeat both. I've never auto crossed but run in and instruct HPDe events. The C5 AH is extremely intrusive and will slow you down. I'm out of state right now and the car isn't here. If you IM me, I'll let you know which fuses they are on Monday.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default hmmm

Thought I read on other threads that simply removing fuses defeats the electronic proportioning valve--which is dangerous. If it's track only, you can replace the electronic proportioning valve with a manual one.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:35 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here you go:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-defeated.html

I just press the button.
The following users liked this post:
apex26 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Disconnect the steering sensor on the steering column. Active handling uses the steering input to determine what to do.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-24-2016 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
apex26 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 04:44 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Now where getting somewhere! Thanks guys.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:04 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I initially bought into the garbage that the car was faster with AH/TC, but very quickly found out otherwise. Good enough to keep retards pointing the right direction, but that's about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Disable active handling?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Disable active handling?