Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Bought my first Corvette, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 PM
LukeViscardi
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first Corvette, any advice?

Hello, this is my first post as I only recently joined the club.
I bought a 2002 Z06 with 43k on the odometer. So far the car has been amazing, came from a '79 El camino SS, it's my daily driver now. It's stock besides wheels and the sound system the previous owner put in the car. I was hoping to find some suggestions on which direction I should go with modifications. I do plan to track the car occasionally, but daily driving the car is my main use. I'm not sure how much power I want, stock it still feels very fast to me. I do plan on buying a Vararam intake soon and after that some long tube headers. I'm not sure what should come after this. I'm undecided on whether a cat back system is necessary or not. I've seen a lot of people online keep the titanium exhaust with long tubes and it makes pretty nice results. A cam is pretty tempting too. Also I live live 30 minutes away from Vengeance Racing, in Atlanta, is it worth the premium they'll charge to take it to them? I have a friend who had his GTO built by them and he has no complaints with their work. I'm very excited for this car and what the future hold. Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.
Luke
Old 02-10-2017, 09:58 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Congrats on purchasing a super machine! I would suggest a column lock bypass and skip shift eliminator right off the bat. You will get a lot of varying opinions on mods to increase performance but I think you are on the right track with headers. I am going to pick my car up today and just had a short throw shifter installed so anxious to try that out. Mine had a magnuson supercharger installed already when I bought it so I haven't looked much beyond that for performance but headers and intake are on my short list for sure!

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 02-10-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

You'll want to replace the valve springs since the stock ones are prone to failure and can cause complete engine destruction.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 02-10-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Slick61
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

advice??? ...don't end up in a YouTube video crashing your car or grenading your engine...
Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Welcome!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:41 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

See signature, that's my mod suggestion

Cat back is really just for sound preference on these cars, they aren't going to add any hp until you start making big power. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new vette! I would do some simple cheap items for a while and get use to the new vette and make a plan for the future. I would: tint, lower, new floor mats, MGW shifter, column lock bypass, change fluids, maybe shocks, look at tires (new non runflats) and enjoy. I would consider an s/c, heads, clutch, fuel system, headers/exhaust, alky/meth and head work all at one shot for a killer setup. Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 PM
LukeViscardi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
You'll want to replace the valve springs since the stock ones are prone to failure and can cause complete engine destruction.
Is there a certain set you'd recommend?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 PM
LukeViscardi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Slick61
advice??? ...don't end up in a YouTube video crashing your car or grenading your engine...
Thanks man, I'll try my absolute hardest now to.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:45 PM
LukeViscardi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
See signature, that's my mod suggestion

Cat back is really just for sound preference on these cars, they aren't going to add any hp until you start making big power. Congrats on your purchase!
Thanks you. How are those headers working out for you? I've yet to decide on my brand
Old 02-10-2017, 11:46 PM
LukeViscardi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new vette! I would do some simple cheap items for a while and get use to the new vette and make a plan for the future. I would: tint, lower, new floor mats, MGW shifter, column lock bypass, change fluids, maybe shocks, look at tires (new non runflats) and enjoy. I would consider an s/c, heads, clutch, fuel system, headers/exhaust, alky/meth and head work all at one shot for a killer setup. Enjoy!
Thank you!
Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Let's see... tint; good, lower; depending on your driving conditions sure, mats... wait, mats? Not a fan of the factory mats?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:19 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeViscardi
Thanks you. How are those headers working out for you? I've yet to decide on my brand
They've been fantastic so far, very good fit and finish at a great price. They sound really good with the stock ti and the bypass mod.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:27 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Opinions are like a**holes and their are a lot of em on this forum. Do what makes you happy... Invest wisely.

Welcome and congrats.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Congratulations!

For track use, tires and brakes will make the most difference. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are hard to beat for a street / track tire. However, these are not available for stock wheel sizes. Since you stated yours are no longer stock, look to see what is available for the current wheel sizes.

Since you mentioned taking the car to Vengeance Racing, I will not make any mod recommendations. Just tell them how you plan to use the car and your goals. They will guide you in the right direction. Vengeance is hard to beat

Last edited by bikeriderga; 02-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought my first Corvette, any advice?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bought my first Corvette, any advice?