C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with LoJack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:51 AM
jlog323
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experiences with LoJack?

Has any member had experience, good or bad, with LoJack in a C6, mainly a 2006?

I'm thinking of either the On-Star which carries a monthly fee, or LoJack which does not. Both cost about $700 installed as I understand it but I would rather not have an added monthly expense if I can help it. Or maybe neither.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jlog323
Old 12-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Flals2
Racer

I haven't had it in a Corvette but I have had it in a Camaro. After a friend of mine had his 35th LE SS carjacked did a search on it and purchased.

A few things on LO Jack:

Check with your local Police and Highway Patrols to see if they use the LOjack equipment. Not all police dept's have the hardware. Here in FL the FHP does so I bought it. I also asked officers what their experiences were with it and most have stated that it has helped in many cases but if the owner doesn't get the yearly maintaince done (battery change and testing) that it won't always work.

The system uses regular vehicle power but in the case of a dead battery and such it has a battery back up that can be drained.

They will not let you see where they place the tracking device on the car either. This makes it hard for the thief to find as well. I never could find the device and I tore the car apart.

As for experiences: A friend of mine had it on his Camaro as well and his car was stolen in the middle of the day. He notified the police and told them that he had LO JAck. They punched in his VIN and it took a few hours to find but they did find it abandoned on a back street. Only damage was the ignition and steering wheel were tore up.

You also get a bit of a break from your insurance company.

The bad thing about Onstar is it can be disabled and they can not track the car. (I think, Correct me if I'm wrong)

If its not disabled onstar does a better job at the exact location of your car.

Hope this helps.

Russell

Last edited by Flals2; 12-23-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:24 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I had Lo Jack installed on my 2001 C5 a few weeks after delivery (car never stolen).....Took the Lojack guy about 1/2 hour installed in my driveway...In Massachusetts you get 35% discount...........no monthly fee, & the Mass State Police have cars equipped with LoJack anteni ?(spelling) ....... I have sold my C5 ...the next owner can have transfered to him the Lojack for $75............have pondered same question regarding on star........ will be ordering a C6 ...dont like the monthly fee for On Star.....(I paid $350 for LoJack back in Sept 2000) at the time a special price for AAA Members..... the price has gone up.....didnt think it went way up to $700 WOW!!!!!!.........Suggest you contact LoJack directly ,they will install cheaper .than a dealer>>>>...when the time comes I will go with the lowest cost ..............lojack worked for me on my 2001 the Dog

Last edited by StrayDog; 12-23-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:30 AM
SC TROJAN GRAD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flals2
I haven't had it in a Corvette but I have had it in a Camaro. After a friend of mine had his 35th LE SS carjacked did a search on it and purchased.

A few things on LO Jack:

Check with your local Police and Highway Patrols to see if they use the LOjack equipment. Not all police dept's have the hardware. Here in FL the FHP does so I bought it. I also asked officers what their experiences were with it and most have stated that it has helped in many cases but if the owner doesn't get the yearly maintaince done (battery change and testing) that it won't always work.

The system uses regular vehicle power but in the case of a dead battery and such it has a battery back up that can be drained.

They will not let you see where they place the tracking device on the car either. This makes it hard for the thief to find as well. I never could find the device and I tore the car apart.

As for experiences: A friend of mine had it on his Camaro as well and his car was stolen in the middle of the day. He notified the police and told them that he had LO JAck. They punched in his VIN and it took a few hours to find but they did find it abandoned on a back street. Only damage was the ignition and steering wheel were tore up.

You also get a bit of a break from your insurance company.

The bad thing about Onstar is it can be disabled and they can not track the car. (I think, Correct me if I'm wrong)

If its not disabled onstar does a better job at the exact location of your car.

Hope this helps.

Russell
I tested onstar by putting a car cover on my vette (while I was inside the vehicle with cover on) I could not use onstar.... signal was blocked by cover. With Lojack you dont have to worry about this. This was done with the Lojack installer to show me the weak area of onstar. Second, you can disable onstar really easy.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:37 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toorich
I tested onstar by putting a car cover on my vette (while I was inside the vehicle with cover on) I could not use onstar.... signal was blocked by cover. With Lojack you dont have to worry about this. This was done with the Lojack installer to show me the weak area of onstar. Second, you can disable onstar really easy.
Very interesting.that Onstar dosent funtion while covered & probably not in a ( building) - Chop Shop.>>>Where many stolen Corvettes end up .to that point I will probably go with Lojack>>>.Great info .....the Dog
Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Flals2
Racer

That is what I figured. Every time I go in a bldg or tunnel I lose all reception.(Onstar,XM,FM)

Lo-Jack in my opinion is better as long as the police have the units in your area and you get the yearly(bi-yearly maintaince) I think it was like $80.00.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:11 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flals2
That is what I figured. Every time I go in a bldg or tunnel I lose all reception.(Onstar,XM,FM)

Lo-Jack in my opinion is better as long as the police have the units in your area and you get the yearly(bi-yearly maintaince) I think it was like $80.00.
Every three years as the back up power source/battery is replaced....
Old 12-23-2005, 10:17 AM
jlog323
Racer

Default Experiences with LoJack?

Thanks, forum members. Real good info. Sounds like LoJack is the better alternative. My additonal concern is that the electronics of the vette may have been compromised somehow.

Anymore info is welcome and thanks again

jlog323
Old 12-23-2005, 10:30 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

The only vehicle connection is to the 12v power.source.......Lojack has a self contained W/ battery back up ... Note>> Lojack is only operational >>>>> when you call the Police & report your car is stolen.........it does start beeping out a signal untill then (when activated) the police have cars with special antenni (?) taht allow them to locate the vehicle....
Old 12-23-2005, 10:32 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tested onstar by putting a car cover on my vette (while I was inside the vehicle with cover on) I could not use onstar.... signal was blocked by cover.
Wow! I'll bet Harry Houdini could not do that.

I have a couple of issues with LoJack:

1.) I do not know where the module is located and that bothers me. I know where every other component is located. If I have an electrical problem, I want to know where to find the module. I mean, it's my car damn it!

2.) I do not know if LoJack is working? The LoJack technician tested it when it was installed, but how do I KNOW if it is working today? I called LoJack to see if there is a functional test to confirm that it is alive and well, but only a LoJack tech can test.

Those are the two things that bug me about LoJack. I can test OnStar anytime I want and OnStar can find my car even in locations where the police do not have LoJack tracking availability.

Last edited by calemasters; 12-23-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:59 AM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

We have On-Star and LoJack in both of our cars.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Josepy
Racer

Originally Posted by It'sHerVette!
We have On-Star and LoJack in both of our cars.
Good idea because they work different ways. Although to do hate the black box on the windshield.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:40 PM
crt
Heel & Toe

Default Really needed?

Is LoJack really needed on a keyless car like the Vette? Other than a carjacking or being towed, is there really any way for a thief to hotwire it? I would think the drive computer is completely locked unless the fob is present.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Josepy
Racer

Originally Posted by crt
Is LoJack really needed on a keyless car like the Vette? Other than a carjacking or being towed, is there really any way for a thief to hotwire it? I would think the drive computer is completely locked unless the fob is present.
Probably not but then we are underestimating the high end thief. There is a way of getting around anything.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:02 PM
jruss361
Racer

Originally Posted by jlog323
Has any member had experience, good or bad, with LoJack in a C6, mainly a 2006?

I'm thinking of either the On-Star which carries a monthly fee, or LoJack which does not. Both cost about $700 installed as I understand it but I would rather not have an added monthly expense if I can help it. Or maybe neither.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jlog323
Anyone steals mine, I don't want it back!
Old 12-23-2005, 06:12 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by crt
According to my nieghbor who is with the San Diego Police Force short of flat bedding the Corvette is fairly immune. Of course why would you want it back anyway. Here in South San Diego with Mexico right here color it gone, upps is that politically correct.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Haveing used both professionally Lo Jack takes a longer time to find the vehicle. The monitor in the police vehicle uses a needle that points in the direction of the stolen car. Pointing through buildings and any other obstructions. On star the dispatcher gave the address where the truck was. Ended up in the garage, so they both worked for my department. Just depends on what you fancy

Get notified of new replies

To Experiences with LoJack?

Old 12-23-2005, 07:46 PM
jim213
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jruss361
Anyone steals mine, I don't want it back!
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 PM
SteveM10
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

We just got our new vette and we got the new system called Mobile Guardian.
http://www.mymobileguardian.com/
You can track your car anywhere by bringing up the internet site. The best feature though is that you can disable your car with a push of the button while on the site. Once you hit the disable button and the car stops, it cant be started again until you re-enable it. It seems to work pretty well, it will find our car even when its parked inside a garage. You can also tack the speed of your car and its location at any time you want. Might come in handy if you let one of your kids or your wife drive it. Although, I dont know why you would let anyone else drive it!!!There are also other features like an alert if your car is taken that can be sent to your cell phone or your e mail. I cant remeber everything it does but I would suggest checking out the site. The system is also transferable to another car should you sell yours and get a new one. I cant remeber the exact price for it because we got a package deal with the mobile guardian system and the clear bra for the front of the car.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:16 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by SteveM10
We just got our new vette and we got the new system called Mobile Guardian.
http://www.mymobileguardian.com/
You can track your car anywhere by bringing up the internet site. The best feature though is that you can disable your car with a push of the button while on the site. Once you hit the disable button and the car stops, it cant be started again until you re-enable it. It seems to work pretty well, it will find our car even when its parked inside a garage. You can also tack the speed of your car and its location at any time you want. Might come in handy if you let one of your kids or your wife drive it. Although, I dont know why you would let anyone else drive it!!!There are also other features like an alert if your car is taken that can be sent to your cell phone or your e mail. I cant remeber everything it does but I would suggest checking out the site. The system is also transferable to another car should you sell yours and get a new one. I cant remeber the exact price for it because we got a package deal with the mobile guardian system and the clear bra for the front of the car.

Quick Reply: Experiences with LoJack?