C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest post on straightline feel: C6 vs. C6-Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Honest post on straightline feel: C6 vs. C6-Z06

I havent driven the new Z yet but it is pulling at me everytime I get in my car. I do love my new vette but the Z is really starting to get into my blood. Honestly, just how much difference is there on straight line pulling sensation? Who here has driven both, (not talking about a track) and can comment?

Last edited by webdzynes; 06-09-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:32 PM
withrow79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome!

My 2005 C6 absolutley amazed me in straight line pull... It was so exciting to finally have a legit fast car that every time I drove it I smiled...

When I got my '06 Z06 it was that much better all over again. I wasn't sure if I would "feel" a noticable difference, but I definately do and still smile every time I drive it. This isn't about 0-60 numbers or 1/4 mile times, it's about being behind the wheel of the most rediculous car you've every imagined!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by withrow79
My 2005 C6 absolutley amazed me in straight line pull... It was so exciting to finally have a legit fast car that every time I drove it I smiled...

When I got my '06 Z06 it was that much better all over again. I wasn't sure if I would "feel" a noticable difference, but I definately do and still smile every time I drive it. This isn't about 0-60 numbers or 1/4 mile times, it's about being behind the wheel of the most rediculous car you've every imagined!!!
I was REALLY hoping you weren't going to say that!!! (...must save pennies, must save pennies.... )
Old 06-09-2006, 10:52 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

If you can't feel 105 hp in the seat of your pants........ get new pants
Old 06-09-2006, 10:57 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by webdzynes
I havent driven the new Z yet but it is pulling at me everytime I get in my car. I do love my new vette but the Z is really starting to get into my blood. Honestly, just how much difference is there on straight line pulling sensation? Who here has driven both, (not talking about a track) and can comment?
Web, I own both, and the difference is night and day. I also just sold my 2005 C6 Z51 with 400 RWHP, and the Z made that feel slow. The C6 in general is a great car, but the C6 Z will step it up another notch.....................or two. I was like you, I had my modded C6, and thought I would be happy for a long time. I just could not get the C6 Z out of my head. Now I could not see myself without the Z. Go for it!!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:13 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

At the low end I was surprised the Z didn’t feel that much difference than a regular C6. However, once past 30 mph there is a very noticeable difference with that extra 105 hp. The Z pulls as hard at 30 as it does at 70 and to me that’s the big difference in driver feel. I had originally planned on buying a Z and had the money set aside. Unfortunately I ran into all the ridiculous price adjustments and smug dealer attitudes which really turned me off. I think its GM’s shinning achievement in a otherwise rather lack luster line of cars. The single greatest mass produced street car ever produced by GM! I’ll probably buy a Z when prices and availability return to normal. I really want a targa top which was the main reason I wasn’t overly disappointed in not buying one this year. If 500 hp was the defining factor for me owning a C6 there are other less costly options available. Personally I like the way the Z looks as much or more then the actual increase in performance and horsepower. I caught myself driving a bit to fast today with my C6 and thought would I be driving faster with a Z? The answer was I seriously doubt it! I think the Z for most people is about bragging rights and having the power on tap! Most Z owners will never track their cars or fully explore the upper limits of the Z’s performance envelope. It’s an image thing which is what most super high performance cars are about anyway. Make no mistake that I believe there isn’t another car produced today that offers as much performance for the sticker price. It will be interesting to follow the Z market and see where pricing goes over the next 12 to 18 months. Asking a Z owner that spent 70, 80 or even 90 grand if they got their moneys worth is akin to asking C6 owners the same question. I strongly suspect it’s difficult to get a truly objective answer to either question from most people.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:40 AM
SKIMODELT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reet

Have driven both, straight line pull there is a difference but not at the low end,1st & 2nd then 3rd & up big difference in the Z. Price for the buck comparing to 2,a little more style & some more Hp. Only the individual can make that choice along with another 25G.......... The average joe on the street doesn't know the difference between the two, they just know it's a bad as_ vette......
Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 AM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

Default was c6 now c6 z06

the c6 is great and the z06 is too until it hits 4500 rpm or greater. it's a slow building pull that amazes you as the rpm's build. it really turns into a monster. in fact you have to wonder "do i really need this thing". the car will make you aware and responsible or kill you and maybe someone else along with it.

i feel like the guardian of a nuclear bomb that has four wheels.

mark brown
Old 06-10-2006, 01:11 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
At the low end I was surprised the Z didn’t feel that much difference than a regular C6. However, once past 30 mph there is a very noticeable difference with that extra 105 hp. The Z pulls as hard at 30 as it does at 70 and to me that’s the big difference in driver feel. I had originally planned on buying a Z and had the money set aside. Unfortunately I ran into all the ridiculous price adjustments and smug dealer attitudes which really turned me off. I think its GM’s shinning achievement in a otherwise rather lack luster line of cars. The single greatest mass produced street car ever produced by GM! I’ll probably buy a Z when prices and availability return to normal. I really want a targa top which was the main reason I wasn’t overly disappointed in not buying one this year. If 500 hp was the defining factor for me owning a C6 there are other less costly options available. Personally I like the way the Z looks as much or more then the actual increase in performance and horsepower. I caught myself driving a bit to fast today with my C6 and thought would I be driving faster with a Z? The answer was I seriously doubt it! I think the Z for most people is about bragging rights and having the power on tap! Most Z owners will never track their cars or fully explore the upper limits of the Z’s performance envelope. It’s an image thing which is what most super high performance cars are about anyway. Make no mistake that I believe there isn’t another car produced today that offers as much performance for the sticker price. It will be interesting to follow the Z market and see where pricing goes over the next 12 to 18 months. Asking a Z owner that spent 70, 80 or even 90 grand if they got their moneys worth is akin to asking C6 owners the same question. I strongly suspect it’s difficult to get a truly objective answer to either question from most people.

Well since they don't make a Z-06 in an automatic that spoils my appetite. I'm tired of shifting so now I don't have to worry about that.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:30 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,582 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON

Well since they don't make a Z-06 in an automatic that spoils my appetite. I'm tired of shifting so now I don't have to worry about that.
No convertible either
Old 06-10-2006, 01:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
No convertible either
No vert for me I don't like all the dust and noise. I can't hear factory stereo. The interior will wear out faster.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Scooter911
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Old 06-10-2006, 08:19 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod

When I went from from my 345HP 99 6-speed coupe to an 03 Z06 with 405HP (just 60 more and about 100 less pounds) I thought I had died and gone to "performance" heaven.

The difference was significant. I'm guessing with a 105 HP difference between the C6 Z and non Z the difference would be even more significant. It's not close.

Tom
Old 06-10-2006, 09:33 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

I have an 05' Z51. I put about 50 - 60 miles on a VY 06' Z06 at Spring Mountain. I'm not sure exactly how to put the difference into words. It's a visceral feeling, unbelievable power, at your command. I fell totally in love with the beast.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys aren't helping me fend-off my desire for the new Z06. Like when the C6 first came out....once I 'get the bug' for something I know I'm in trouble. I'm planning modifications to my C6 that I hope will ease the 'Z disease' but recently I've been debating which way to go.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:04 AM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wayne O
You guys aren't helping me fend-off my desire for the new Z06. Like when the C6 first came out....once I 'get the bug' for something I know I'm in trouble. I'm planning modifications to my C6 that I hope will ease the 'Z disease' but recently I've been debating which way to go.
You and I should get together! Either we'd end up putting superchargers on our C6's or more likely, have a beer, say "screw it!" and go buy the damn Z!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
JyymBo
Burning Brakes

My whole plan was to "just" get the C6 when our student loans were paid and the time was right (spring of 2008)...I even thought of splurging on the Z51 package and maybe some polished wheels. But then, one day, I saw the Z06 at a local dealership! It was black/ebony and looked amazing!!!!!! I realize I will never ever drive it to its ability, but I love having the fastest, loudest, and best Corvette out there! But the looks of it is what really put me over the top...I loved how wide it was from the back, the extra air ducts, the wheels, the red calipers...

So I went ahead and got on the list at Les Stanford...I am currently #403 which worked out just right for my Spring 2008 delivery!

Just my $.02 worth...

JimO
Erie, PA
Old 06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
NotRiceAnymore
Pro

My c6 makes me wish i had the Z....but then I drive my s10 daily beater or the girlfriends solstice and I realize how much better the c6 is then those. for a straight line pull...whether i stomp on it at 60 or zero, the car moves, it just doesnt move like an 11 second car...yet
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

I have a 2005 z51 that is Dynoing 382 RWHP
My friend has a new Z06 and i have ridden in it
and all i can say is Wow

The Z06 is mean and when you get on it the torque is amazing
it just goes and goes !

Get notified of new replies

To Honest post on straightline feel: C6 vs. C6-Z06