C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Oil for C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Vinny Boombotts
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil for C6

Hi All,
I'm planning an oil change for my C6 at 4000 miles and would like to know what engine oils other than Mobil 1 can be used. Mobil 1 is good but I've been told there are better especially for the Las Vegas desert heat that I drive my Z51 in. Any personalnexperience with German Castrol, Redline or Mobil 1 0W-40 in your C6?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:32 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use anything that has the GM4718 cert
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
hayseed51
Racer

Just rounded up some of the German Castrol last weekend. I've read a lot about it and am anxious to give it a try. I need to get a few hundred more miles on though, so I don't know if the weather is going to allow that yet this year or not.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Just use the Mobil one ... there is a reason Chevy has it on the oil cap ... the other stuff may be just as good but doubtful it is any better - why experiment or waste money ... just use the recommendation.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Although I imagine some other brands would suffice, I'll stick with the recommended Mobil 1.

I recently returned a case of Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil because it technically did not meet GM Standards GM4718M & GM6094M for the C6. The Mobil 1 EP may have exceeded these standards but it didn't "meet" them.

I would only consider using something other than the recommended oil when racing the car.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobile one.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:14 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Amsoil
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Vinny Boombotts
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jabez
I would use anything that has the GM4718 cert
A GM representative from the Bowling Green Plant called me to check on my new Vette purchase and told me that the 4718 Cert. really doesn't amount to very much, in fact it could be ignored as long as a good quality "TRUE" synthetic (not a group III) is used!!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Vinny Boombotts
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Just use the Mobil one ... there is a reason Chevy has it on the oil cap ... the other stuff may be just as good but doubtful it is any better - why experiment or waste money ... just use the recommendation.
The only reason it is on the oil filler cap is because Mobil paid GM to put it there!!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Vinny Boombotts
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hayseed51
Just rounded up some of the German Castrol last weekend. I've read a lot about it and am anxious to give it a try. I need to get a few hundred more miles on though, so I don't know if the weather is going to allow that yet this year or not.
Let me know the results when you use it. German Castrol has received an enormous cult following and I'm curious to know if it is based in any truth!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny Boombotts
A GM representative from the Bowling Green Plant called me to check on my new Vette purchase and told me that the 4718 Cert. really doesn't amount to very much, in fact it could be ignored as long as a good quality "TRUE" synthetic (not a group III) is used!!
That's funny. Mobil 1 is a group III base.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:38 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

If you plan to go racing, use something like Motul. If not, use what ever flips your switch. Mobile 1 is as good a choice as any in the every day good oil cagtegory.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 PM
vjones
Burning Brakes

I have used mobile one in all our vehicles, full synthetic. It was in our 2002 Jeep Wrangler sport which was lifted etc and it did very well. Sometimes Jeeps can burn oil and it seemed to be just fine.

Anyway like others stated, use what you like.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Vinny Boombotts
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Actually, the "other stuff" as you say is much better especially at protecting the engine if it carries the ACEA A3 rating which is the European High Temp High Shear rating. Did you notice that Mobil 1 5W-30 does not carry the A3 rating but some of the "other stuff" does! Mobil 1 0W-40 carries the A3 rating and for good reason! That's the oil that Mobil "built" for Mercedes-Benz years ago and that's why it is factory fill for all MB AMG, Porshe, BMW and as of 2 years ago, Dodge Viper in addition to Aston-Martin. The cavalier attitude that you possess regarding engine oil could potentially get you in some trouble down the road especially if you plan to keep your C6 for a substantial amount of time! You should spend some time educating yourself regarding the hard facts about engine oil rather then being so willing to be led around by your nose because of what it says on your oil filler cap!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:56 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

. The cavalier attitude that you possess regarding engine oil could potentially get you in some trouble down the road You should spend some time educating yourself regarding the hard facts about engine oil rather then being so willing to be led around by your nose because of what it says on your oil filler cap!
You registered on this forum yesterday.
You asked a simple question: "Best Oil for C6".
You got some honest opinions.
Try to keep the personal stuff out of it.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:10 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Actually, the "other stuff" as you say is much better especially at protecting the engine if it carries the ACEA A3 rating which is the European High Temp High Shear rating......
Why ask a question if you "know-it-all" already?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:34 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

now that we asked which is the best oil, how bout someone ask, WHICH IS THE BEST WAX!

Get notified of new replies

To Best Oil for C6

Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That's funny. Mobil 1 is a group III base.

I was about to say no way until I did some checking and danged if you aren't right. When did that happen?

Anyway, I will stick with the Amsoil. Good stuff and a true synthetic.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pennzoil Platinum meets all mfg specs and is often discounted by Pep Boys, as it is now. $2 a quart after rebate. I used it at my first change, 2000 miles, and have bought more since. They have improved the process in refining it, from what I've read, and if you consider it short money to change every 5K, as I do, how can you go wrong? Penn is an old time refiner with an excellent reputation. It may not be the ne plus ultra of synthetics, but it is ok'd by GM for the Corvette and for 5000 miles is as good as any other choice. $12 + 5 for the filter--and knowing that it is done right, is a very good deal, imo.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The cavalier attitude that you possess regarding engine oil could potentially get you in some trouble down the road especially if you plan to keep your C6 for a substantial amount of time! You should spend some time educating yourself regarding the hard facts about engine oil rather then being so willing to be led around by your nose because of what it says on your oil filler cap!
Pretty ballsy comment from someone that just joined the Forum yesterday dude. And why ask the question if you already have the answer? Next.

Who makes the best underwear?

Quick Reply: Best Oil for C6