C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Event Data Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:19 PM
snappy28
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Event Data Recorder

Do our C6s have an Event Data Recorder (EDR) in them. I just saw this news clip on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/cl...ack.boxes.wsvn

If so is there a way to disable it? I don't want that recording what I do without me knowing it.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Yes, there's one in the C6. Been one in most GM cars for 8-10 years now. You can't disable it without disabling the airbags. It's tied to the airbags. Folks have posted here complaining about the black box for several years, but they're here to stay, at least for awhile.

I don't want that recording what I do without me knowing it.
Now you know it. Is it okay now?
Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You'd think someone would make a gadget to bypass it (much like the Cags). But then they would probably void your insurance.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Lots of posts and discussions on this. The end result seems to be that the black box only only records and saves data at the time the air bags deploy. If it's just your daily driving don't worry about it, if you are trying to hide from fault in an accident, too bad.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Here are some links to additional information on the so-called vehicle black box (you'll have to cut and paste and I haven't checked these in a while).

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/edr-sit...vette%20pdf%22

http://www.powers-santola.com/CM/WhatsNew/BlackBox3.asp

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about EDRs - VERY large file:

http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/05-0271-W.pdf

Law pertaining to search and seizure of your EDR large 1 Meg PDF file :
http://www.harristechnical.com/downl...manual2002.pdf
Old 11-26-2006, 05:41 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by snappy28
Do our C6s have an Event Data Recorder (EDR) in them. I just saw this news clip on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/cl...ack.boxes.wsvn

If so is there a way to disable it? I don't want that recording what I do without me knowing it.
From page 7-9 of the 2005 Owners Manual:
Vehicle Data Collection and Event Data Recorders
Your vehicle, like other modern motor vehicles, has a number of sophisticated computer systems that monitor and control several aspects of the vehicle’s performance. Your vehicle uses on-board vehicle computers to monitor emission control components to optimize fuel economy, to monitor conditions for airbag deployment and, if so equipped, to provide anti-lock braking and to help the driver control the vehicle in difficult driving situations. Some information may be stored during regular operations to facilitate repair of detected malfunctions; other information is stored only in a crash event by computer systems, such as those commonly called event data recorders (EDR).

In a crash event, computer systems, such as the Airbag Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) in your vehicle may record information about the condition of the vehicle and how it was operated, such as data related to engine speed, brake application, throttle position, vehicle speed, safety belt usage, airbag readiness, airbag performance, and the severity of a collision. This information has been used to improve vehicle crash performance and may be used to improve crash performance of future vehicles and driving safety. Unlike the data recorders on many airplanes, these on-board systems do not record sounds, such as conversation of vehicle occupants.

To read this information, special equipment is needed and access to the vehicle or the device that stores the data is required. GM will not access information about a crash event or share it with others other than:
• with the consent of the vehicle owner or, if the vehicle is leased, with the consent of the lessee,
• in response to an official request of police or similar government office,
• as part of GM’s defense of litigation through the discovery process, or
• as required by law.

In addition, once GM collects or receives data, GM may:
• use the data for GM research needs,
• make it available for research where appropriate confidentiality is to be maintained and need is shown, or
• share summary data which is not tied to a specific vehicle with non-GM organizations for research purposes.

Others, such as law enforcement, may have access to the special equipment that can read the information if they have access to the vehicle or the device that stores the data. If your vehicle is equipped with OnStar®, please check the OnStar® subscription service agreement or manual for information on its operations and data collection.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:06 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by haljensen
Lots of posts and discussions on this. The end result seems to be that the black box only only records and saves data at the time the air bags deploy. If it's just your daily driving don't worry about it, if you are trying to hide from fault in an accident, too bad.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:39 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by JimTN
Yes, there's one in the C6. Been one in most GM cars for 8-10 years now. You can't disable it without disabling the airbags. It's tied to the airbags. Folks have posted here complaining about the black box for several years, but they're here to stay, at least for awhile.

Now you know it. Is it okay now?

Makes the rounds on the forums every couple of months and has for years. The C5's have 'em and ours do as well. Get used to it. If you disable it and have an accident that would prompt someone to go looking for it, forget about your insurance. As of last I knew it takes a court order to tap into the data. Dealerships can't get at it.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:20 AM
lcbiiimd
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 69 Posts

Yeah, I am not a big fan of big brother either but if you are not doing anything stupid, then you have nothing to hide. Besides, its not as if any accident investigator who has any clue at all would not be able to analyze the scene and the vehicle and not then be able to come up with a pretty accurate account of what happened...
Old 11-27-2006, 07:12 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Its' just a matter of time before cops will be able to pull you over and take a quick download from your ECU similar to the way most States perform their emission testing. They wouldn't even need radar. They could pull you over for probable cause, and then let your own car convict you.

Last edited by sly1; 11-27-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
As of last I knew it takes a court order to tap into the data.
At this point in time, a court order (search warrant) is very State dependant. The legal battle over warrantless search of a persons vehicle still continues.
The 4th Amendment prohibits warrantless searches. Some States require the court to issue a warrant to seize the EDR. Other States seize the EDR under other provisions in their State law which allow the towing and inventory of vehicles involved in traffic collisions.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:58 AM
bj33813
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mvcrash
The 4th Amendment prohibits warrantless searches. .
Guess no one ever told Bush that.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

They probably did but he didn't understand what they were talking about.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Or chose to ignore it. Same net result.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:39 AM
jsbtheman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

But he's "the decider"
Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
crash1
Advanced

Default Know a little about this one.

Originally Posted by lcbiiimd
Yeah, I am not a big fan of big brother either but if you are not doing anything stupid, then you have nothing to hide. Besides, its not as if any accident investigator who has any clue at all would not be able to analyze the scene and the vehicle and not then be able to come up with a pretty accurate account of what happened...
As a retired state trooper and current private crash scene investigator, I have been specifically trained in the extraction of data from the EDR (Event Data Recorder).
First of all, they (those wanting the info) would need to follow protocol in your jurisdiction to obtain the data. This could be interesting to say the least.
Second, they need to be specifically trained and certified by the CDR (Crash Data Retrieval) manufacturer. Currently there is only ONE manufacturer of such a device... VETRONIX.
Third, there are multiple things (check lists) that the technician must go through to ensure that the download will be successful and therefore, usefull later.
Fourth, the data must be analyzed correctly by a trained and most of all, an experienced investigator.
Fifth, and most important, the data can only be used as a second source to the properly interpreted roadway and other vehicle evidence to be used to explain the dynamics of the crash sequence. This could include the five seconds of pre-crash / airbag deployment or "near" deployment data. This could include speed, engine throotle percentage, brake switch (on/off), seatbelt use, to name a few.

Believe me, I think about the device being there, then I think about it not being there when God forbid some idiot runs into my brand new Corvette (and the airbag doesn't go off) because they were changing the song on their portable MP3 player or touching up their make-up or shaving while driving. Even with all this training and knowledge, remeber one thing ... I still decided to buy one of America's best sport car ever built.

PS... the recorder does record one other thing...when another vette owner passes another without waving...just kidding on that one.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:30 PM
degaux
Drifting

Originally Posted by mvcrash
The legal battle over warrantless search of a persons vehicle still continues..... The 4th Amendment prohibits warrantless searches.
Not since the passage of the "PATRIOT" act...

Get notified of new replies

To Event Data Recorder

Old 02-08-2007, 12:58 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crash1
Currently there is only ONE manufacturer of such a device... VETRONIX.
My brother was killed by a drunk last August. I had a long phone conversation with a State Police officer about various things, including their ability to 'pull' data from an auto computer.

This officer said they did not have 'software' to pull all vehicles information. There was different 'software' for the different manufactors. And some of it was very expensive. They did have the ability to pull GM vehicles data.

Is this correct? Is there different 'software' and probably 'hardware' needed for the different manufactors? The state in question is not one of the more 'progressive' states, in fact it is one of the least progressive states.

I would just like a little more info what is needed for different vehicles.

Or, should I browse thru all the links given in another message?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bolivar
My brother was killed by a drunk last August.
Very sorry for you. My kid sister was killed by a drunk driver a few years ago.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

A couple folks have commented about losing your insurance coverage if you were to disable the black box. That's complete BS. It's conceivable that a policy could have an exclusion for this, but it is extremely unlikely. I've reviewed about 20 different policies in the last year or so and have not seen a single such exclusion.

That said, I have no concern about the data recorder being there. If I am involved in a serious accident, I'll be glad to know I might be able to prove that I wasn't driving 120mph.

Quick Reply: Event Data Recorder