C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Rafael chevrolet went out of their way to replace our damaged vette with a new, b

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:03 PM
ask1ed
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I'm saddened to read this thread, not only was it unnecessary but the dealers response is criminal. You have an "open and shut" case. I'd contact an attorney and let them handle the claim. Any competent lawyer will make this dealer see the error in their ways and compensate you accordingly.

Please take the appropriate legal action and let us know how it turns out.

Tom
There are two cars in his show room, a $435,000 Mercedes McClaren, and a Spider Ferrari at $465,000, and one vette coupe for $45,000 and so on. Guess which cars he sells more often? The vette no doubt, and the other cars are there for show so we all can see how rich he is, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by ask1ed; 12-26-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:07 PM
TommySS
Instructor

All the dealership needs to know from me is that if they don't come up with a brand new replacement car (and in extremely short order), the next time they'll see me is on the local Six O'Clock News, naming names.

Once a dealership begins to get bad press, the damage is usually severe and irreperable.

You are required to report it to your insurance company and the lein holder. Your insurance company will pay. However, if you think your insurance company will not raise your rates and will go after the dealership, think again. They're basically lazy. You are usually insured if someone else drives your car (e.g., service departments, but perhaps not your brother in law).

If as described, this shouldn't even go to court. The lawyer sends the signal that you mean business and they better not screw around with you (any more than they have already).

And yes, I would go after the dealership's owners, the service manager, the service team leader and especially the little turd that wrecked your car. Perhaps THAT will teach them to be better stewards of the vehicle you entrusted to them. Unless the turd mechanic is the dealership owner's nephew, he was probably "unemployed" before the accident report's ink dried.

We have a dealer in this area that took a highly modified Camaro SS in trade for a Lightning. The deal was completed. Two days later, the dealer wants the truck back and the guy to come get "his" SS. Unfortunately, seems a couple of "lot boys" took the car out for a joy ride one cold morning and mechanically trashed it in less than 20 minutes. Modified or not, dumping the clutch at 6k (multiple times) without letting the engine warm up is not a good thing.

Last edited by TommySS; 12-24-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 PM
scottyc
Racer

Default call gm

call gm immediately the accident could void your warranty
Old 12-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyc
call gm immediately the accident could void your warranty
Huh?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:25 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 12-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Fastronaut
CF Senior Member Emeritus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is certainly an unfortunate thing that happened to you. I am sorry that you experienced it. This is a Corvette Forum and we are not lawyers (maybe one or two) so your best source of legal counsel is to at least have a chat with an Attorney. Your Attorney can advise you how best to approach the insurance, police and dealer issues.

Consider this to be a lousy thing to happen, but you have your health and weren't injured. Time will work things out. Be patient. Don't let this ruin your Holidays. We're all pulling for you.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:31 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Contact an attorney. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Turbodude
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

San Rafael Chevrolet.....oh great. Just bought my C06 there in August.

Which begs the question...do you have to go back to the dealer you bought the car from, or can any Chevy dealer do warranty work on your car?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 PM
06LEMANSC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbodude

Which begs the question...do you have to go back to the dealer you bought the car from, or can any Chevy dealer do warranty work on your car?
Any dealer can perform warranty work.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:13 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Any GM Dealer...

I think I would avoid that one
Old 12-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell

And btw when you take a car in for service there's an implied (and you also sign the work order) right to test drive the car by person(s) at the facility. Maybe not everyone, and maybe not this person, but service people.
That may be true, but why test drive for a broken antenna?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:29 PM
PaulC6Z
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

People take no responsability now-a-days. This why lawyers are so abundant. This one is mind blowing because it's so neat and clean. Any reputable business man should of had your new vette wating for you. No ???
I worked/work for a large corp. we made it a point to give free product to costumers even when we knew that they we're out for the freebee. Both co's are going strong.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:39 PM
ask1ed
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Any dealer can. I wish I had avoided them. NOw my car is sitting in a cold dark dirty body shop, collecting dust from paint and sanding bondo, and oxydizing rapidly, destined to spend another 6 weeks gathering dust, while I pay my $829/month. The owner showed me not one bit of concern or empathy in my opinion. I would avoid them like the plague.

Last edited by ask1ed; 12-28-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:56 PM
ParkerCO
Advanced

Originally Posted by torch2000vert

You can sue the Dealership and the employee for damages and legal costs etc. While it's a hassle, it's your best option. I hope they own up and do the right thing...
Don't let these guys get away with it. Make them pay for there stupidity. I'm sure some lawyers would talk to you for free to see what can be done. Just call around, maybe ask some people if they know a good lawyer.

If i was the D.A. there, this guy would get the death penalty.

I suggest that we all email and phone into these guys until they break. Pretend that we want to buy a car, but we heard they crash there customers cars.

I want there number and email. I'm going to look now.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:03 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ask1ed
Any dealer can. I wish I had avoided them. NOw my car is sitting in a cold dark dirty body shop, collecting dust from paint and sanding bondo, and oxydizing rapidly, destined to spend another 6 weeks gathering dust, while I pay my $829/month. The owner showed me not one bit of concern or empathy. I would avoid them like the plague.
I could be completely out to lunch here, but I'm betting that his reaction is a careful and purposefully calculated ploy to keep you in line. He figures being a pain and acting stiff and cold will keep you preoccupied with getting the car back sometime and hoping he will do a good job. It's a maneuver to show and keep the upper hand. Don't forget, these guys do this for a living. Some are great humanitarians, I am sure; many are not.

So, I say Horse-hockey on all that.

It is easy for anyone to hide behind a keyboard and give tuff-guy advice "sue 'em" etc when it is not 'real' to the one giving out the advice, but in this instance, I would indeed retain a lawyer IF the lawyer gives a positive assessment on your chances for prevailing in court. I would not threaten with legal action, I would just pursue it. If the dealer changes his tune, and starts to play ball, you can reassess how far you have to go, but at this point, if you don't take an active hand, you are getting the shaft and the mental anguish over time (even if the car comes back prisitine) will eat at you.

It is the dealer's job to 'make you whole', but it is your job to make sure he does it.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 12-24-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:03 PM
ParkerCO
Advanced

Originally Posted by TommySS
You are usually insured if someone else drives your car (e.g., service departments, but perhaps not your brother in law).
I just asked my insurance agent that very question. If someone has permission to drive your car, they are covered and your insurance would have to pay the claim if they had permission to drive.

That may be another good thing to pursue. If they trully did not have permission, then the guy driving was not covered under your insurance. therefore, he may have been driving "without insurance". I would also be assuming that the dealership must have some type of liability insurance for just this type of incident.

I wonder if your insurance company can pursue something against the dealerships insurance company.

Here in the Denver area, we have a guy that confronts people like this. Tom Martino, "the Troubleshooter" He has a radio show that people can call in to get advice, and he has gone to many businesses asking questions on the local news channel. Talk about negative publicity for those guys. Here is his website: http://www.troubleshooter.com/ I don't know if he could help in your case, but maybe they could recommend something, or possibly find someone in your area that does the same thing.

He even has a list of companies and the problems related to them. http://www.troubleshooter.com/Sleaze...archDetail.cfm

Last edited by ParkerCO; 12-24-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:04 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks ...

Get notified of new replies

To San Rafael chevrolet went out of their way to replace our damaged vette with a new, b

Old 12-24-2006, 10:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey,GET A LAWYER!!!Then,assuming this is a chevy dealer,i'd also call GM DIRECTLY and file a very large complaint!!Stop jerking around and sue the crap out of this punk and his dealership!!!Oh,and sorry about your dillemma,but don't try and be a nice guy,just sue the bastard!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:15 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkerCO
I just asked my insurance agent that very question. If someone has permission to drive your car, they are covered and your insurance would have to pay the claim if they had permission to drive.

That may be another good thing to pursue. If they trully did not have permission, then the guy driving was not covered under your insurance. therefore, he may have been driving "without insurance". I would also be assuming that the dealership must have some type of liability insurance for just this type of incident......
I would almost bet that when you take your car in and sign for service to be done, you are giving them permission to drive your car. He said he asked them not to, but I would still think it is on the form he signed.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:20 PM
ParkerCO
Advanced

Originally Posted by jschindler
I would almost bet that when you take your car in and sign for service to be done, you are giving them permission to drive your car. He said he asked them not to, but I would still think it is on the form he signed.
If it is in the small print, maybe there is nothing you can do if you signed. But who test drives a car for an antenna or trunk problem?

Quick Reply: San Rafael chevrolet went out of their way to replace our damaged vette with a new, b