C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower increases without voiding warranties

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Floored
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower increases without voiding warranties

What are the best hp increases i can do without voiding the warranty on my 06 ???
Old 04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Floored
What are the best hp increases i can do without voiding the warranty on my 06 ???
Really depends a lot on your relationship with your dealer! Some guy on the Z section was told HEADERS on his ZO6 voided his warranty! Hence the puked engine was his dime. My dealer actually will install headers so I'm pretty sure they'll cut you some slack. I'd say once you open the engine up all bets are off but again it all depends on the dealer....
Old 04-01-2007, 10:35 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cthusker
Really depends a lot on your relationship with your dealer! Some guy on the Z section was told HEADERS on his ZO6 voided his warranty! Hence the puked engine was his dime. My dealer actually will install headers so I'm pretty sure they'll cut you some slack. I'd say once you open the engine up all bets are off but again it all depends on the dealer....
Actually, GM has a regional representative that looks at and OK's all major warranty work. The best you could do on the C5 was to substitute an aftermarket intake system, but it wasn't covered if the engine was damaged due to hydrolock.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealership aggressively denies warranty service for any problem even remotely related to a modification. Ask your dealership and see what they say is allowable. Let us know what they say.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Wayne O
My dealership aggressively denies warranty service for any problem even remotely related to a modification. Ask your dealership and see what they say is allowable. Let us know what they say.

GM general policy is the mod causes the problem, it's not covered.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After market air in my tires voided my warranty

Google: Magnuson-Moss Act
Old 04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
drummingman
Instructor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1664644
Old 06-16-2007, 08:45 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 471 Likes on 252 Posts

I almost ran in to major warranty problems with my last 2006 coupe after adding headers, stat, and a tune on top of the cai and catback.

The problem was not related to those parts, but I ended up putting the car back to stock and selling the aftermarket parts.

Now, my feeling is, any mods I make must be EASILY reversible, meaning I could do them in my driveway in less than an hour.

Now, IMO a catback is OK, I had one local service manager say it isn't, but there is NO WAY he can deny a warranty on it. It does not have any cause or effect on anything.

On the other hand, I can see a CAI causing a problem due to oil on the maf, but mainly due to water ingestion.
Therefore, I only will put on CAIs that can be quickly put back to stock in minutes if the car needs to go in for service for an engine problem.

For example, I really like the Vararam, but I will not put one on my car as removing it is not easy.
What i did was buy a K&N aircharger, easily swapped back to stock in 30 minutes and for cold air I did the "Free Cold Air Mod" by popping out the two push pins that hold the front radiator shroud in place. This allows me cold air through the front grille, but if I ever need to go in for MAJOR service, I just push the pins back in and back to stock with no signs of anything.

Call me PARANOID, but I am not taking any chances.

Howard
Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,582 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Floored
It really depends on what they can see and what the repair is for. Headers are easy to spot. A ported intake and Heads are not so easy to spot, and may not be noticed even if they have to open the engine. Same with a mild cam.

Bottom line, if you want 100% certianty on warranty, don't mod at all.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:09 AM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Best way to increase your HP and not void the warranty on your 06 is to buy an 08, or a Z06! Not being a smart **** here. Many dealers are a real pain on that. Have had a dealer tell me even a CAI will void me.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by twfreightman
Best way to increase your HP and not void the warranty on your 06 is to buy an 08, or a Z06! Not being a smart **** here. Many dealers are a real pain on that. Have had a dealer tell me even a CAI will void me.

I deal with the owners of a couple of dealers. They are telling me that the manufacturers are really cracking down on warranty claims. It's actually not unusual for dealers to eat warranty claims that the manufacturer does not stand behind.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:39 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJ
Actually, GM has a regional representative that looks at and OK's all major warranty work. The best you could do on the C5 was to substitute an aftermarket intake system, but it wasn't covered if the engine was damaged due to hydrolock.
Your warranty does not come into play if your car hydrolocks with the stock airbox on it either. Your car is not warrantied against water damage.

Water damage, ie hydrolock, should fall under your auto insurance policy. Check with your agent.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:52 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UTVOL06
There you go DSOM Z51...people having possible warranty issues with even catbacks.
Are you referring to Yello3's post where he says: "Now, IMO a catback is OK, I had one local service manager say it isn't, but there is NO WAY he can deny a warranty on it. It does not have any cause or effect on anything".

That service manager has no idea what he's talking about. What problem is he going to claim occured with the exhaust system?

To top it off, Furthermore, Chevy themselves offer an aftermarket system (Borla).

And indeed, there is at least one dealer in my area who sells C6s that he has already installed B&B Bullets on and the same dealer offered to install Corsa Tiger Sharks on my C5 before I took delivery of it.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-16-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by sscamaro
GM general policy is the mod causes the problem, it's not covered.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to point to a mod as a cause of a problem and put the burden on you to prove that it wasn't.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
Are you referring to Yello3's post where he says: "Now, IMO a catback is OK, I had one local service manager say it isn't, but there is NO WAY he can deny a warranty on it. It does not have any cause or effect on anything".

That service manager has no idea what he's talking about. What problem is he going to claim occured with the exhaust system?

To top it off, Furthermore, Chevy themselves offers an aftermarket system (Borla).

And indeed, there is at least one dealer in my area who sells C6s that he has already installed B&B Bullets on and the same dealer offered to install Corsa Tiger Sharks on my C5 before I took delivery of it.

A local GM dealer installed my GM off road exhaust (Borla) .

Didn't Les Stanford install Corsa's on most of their C6's?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:10 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Purdue
A local GM dealer installed my GM off road exhaust (Borla) .

Didn't Les Stanford install Corsa's on most of their C6's?
I do know that just like the Borlas for the C6, being sold right now on the Chevy site, that you could also purchase Corsas from right off the Chevy site for the C5.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/accessories/

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-16-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:50 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I"m pretty sure if the car hydro locks with the stock intake, the manufacturer is responsible for that, as long as you didn't drive it through a lake or something. I know a guy I worked with hydrolocked his mustang just driving through a puddle around here and they warrantied it.

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
Your warranty does not come into play if your car hydrolocks with the stock airbox on it either. Your car is not warrantied against water damage.

Water damage, ie hydrolock, should fall under your auto insurance policy. Check with your agent.

Get notified of new replies

To Horsepower increases without voiding warranties

Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by robl45
I"m pretty sure if the car hydro locks with the stock intake, the manufacturer is responsible for that, as long as you didn't drive it through a lake or something. I know a guy I worked with hydrolocked his mustang just driving through a puddle around here and they warrantied it.
I agree with DSOM - having a mfr cover it under warranty would be very rare. You're friend should have bought a lottery ticket the day they covered it.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

I did some searching..looks like aftermarket exhausts will not void your warranty, but I would talk to your local dealer first and feel him/her out and see if they can install it for you.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:44 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I see the old mod-warranty agrument is running again. There is a very simple truth you need to know - if you can't afford to fix it, don't modify it. Period. End of debate.

Every so often, someone in here throws out the good ol' federal warranty law - the Magnuson-Moss Act. It says that the mfg. must honor its warranty UNLESS the damage was done by a non-standard part or due to misuse (i.e. racing or abuse). I've seen many people try to claim that their damage has nothing to do with the modification and, therefore, should be covered under warranty. In theory, they are correct. In practice, it rarely, if ever, works out that way.

If GM can find ANY semi-legitimate justification for denying a warranty claim, they will do so. Period. Granted, if your claim is for a broken radio, GM would be hard pressed to deny it because you put headers on your car. BUT, if it were something mechanical or powertrain related? They'd most likely deny it. If it were an electrical modification you made (like installing one of those do-it-yourself HUD's)? Deny almost anything remotely related to the electrical system.

If the dealer sold you your non-GM mod (say, exhaust or headers), then THEY would have to warrant the work, NOT GM. GM isn't going to pay for engine damage because someone else put an engine mod on their standard car. If the new part is a GM part, then GM warrants it. Simple as that. Again, don't mod it if you can't pay to repair it.

Quick Reply: Horsepower increases without voiding warranties