C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend upgrades to a Z06 and gets smoked by Subaru - at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Friend upgrades to a Z06 and gets smoked by Subaru - at the track

A friend traded in his 2003 SLK mercedes for a nice 2007 Z06. This was about 2 months ago. He called me today to say that he is at some track in Ohio and was racing a modded Subaru WRX STI. On a 1/4 mile, the Subaru SMOKED him. Needless to say, it humbled him. He told me he is off to a mod shop.

I was thinking about that.

No matter what we have, there is someone always a lot faster.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:08 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

proves you can make anything fast....mods on Sub??
Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Erix
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned an STI very recently....I can say they are crazy little sleepers. I thoroughly enjoyed mine and I got endless pleasure out of embarrassing high dollar GT's on road courses or windy back roads that had less then glassy smooth pavement.

Its one of the ultimate Jeckyl and Hyde cars. Great warning. If and when I pick up a Z, I will always remember to be humble when I see a rally blue flash sneeking iup on me on my favorite back roads remembering the Z just wont stick and those cars are glued to the ground no matter what.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those AWD Turbo STI's and Evos are relatively easy to mod. Plus with AWD they can really be launched off the line.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Just goes to show...505 is not enough!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driver mod before car mod
Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

It's a friggin conspiracy!!!An immediate infringement on my costipational rights to american muscle!!!%$#@^%$$$!!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Must've been one fast Sti, 11 sec car at least.....assuming your friend can drive his Z06 into the 11's already.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:23 AM
reason_one
Instructor

So I don't stand a chance with my stock 07 M6 3LT F55 coupe against these things for a little stoplight fun? Ah well.

I know on paper they look pretty bad, but they are like mid 30s in price. So with 15 grand in mods, what can one of these do?

Not like I'd ever consider one - case and point. Roll ANY C6 and ANY subie WRX STI through any crowd, and only the young guys even notice the subie.

To all the rest of you non Z06ers... remember, the C6 is so much more about attitude than anything else. NO other car, and I mean NO with font size 80, packs as much HP, fun, handling AND attitude into it as the C6. For all I care China can roll out a supercharged Chery that can smoke us, but it will never have the attitude a C6 does. Attitude rocks.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:26 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default modify

Originally Posted by HyperX
A friend traded in his 2003 SLK mercedes for a nice 2007 Z06. This was about 2 months ago. He called me today to say that he is at some track in Ohio and was racing a modded Subaru WRX STI. On a 1/4 mile, the Subaru SMOKED him. Needless to say, it humbled him. He told me he is off to a mod shop.

I was thinking about that.

No matter what we have, there is someone always a lot faster.
modify the cars....i'm not into that...at the end of the day the guy still goes home in a subaru(which makes very good cars,i had 2)...but my 2007 vert is in a different world
Old 08-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by reason_one
So I don't stand a chance with my stock 07 M6 3LT F55 coupe against these things for a little stoplight fun? Ah well.

I know on paper they look pretty bad, but they are like mid 30s in price. So with 15 grand in mods, what can one of these do?

Not like I'd ever consider one - case and point. Roll ANY C6 and ANY subie WRX STI through any crowd, and only the young guys even notice the subie.

To all the rest of you non Z06ers... remember, the C6 is so much more about attitude than anything else. NO other car, and I mean NO with font size 80, packs as much HP, fun, handling AND attitude into it as the C6. For all I care China can roll out a supercharged Chery that can smoke us, but it will never have the attitude a C6 does. Attitude rocks.
To most younger folks, the STi and EVO's are THE car to own and have alot more attitude and cool factor.

I'd much rather the C6, but I got alot of flack for "mid-life crisis" "old man car" etc from my younger friends. They don't get it yet. But once they grow out of the boy racer, they will look for a more refined sports car.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 AM
reason_one
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
To most younger folks, the STi and EVO's are THE car to own and have alot more attitude and cool factor.

I'd much rather the C6, but I got alot of flack for "mid-life crisis" "old man car" etc from my younger friends. They don't get it yet. But once they grow out of the boy racer, they will look for a more refined sports car.
When you say younger folks, you are talking younger guys, not the young chicks who pull up next to your VY vette drooling. That's what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for subies... my wife drive a Forester Turbo M5, and talk about sleeper! i just get no respect when I'm in it. Its the Rodney Dangerfield of cars. You have to prove it first!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Erix
Pro

Like any forum, there will naturatally be bias. At the end of the day it comes down to hypers point....you shouldn't make bias value judgements based on whats in your garage (whichever camp your in) as there is more to it then your view of the situation. There is more than one one school of thought about how to go fast and groups that are passionate about them.

No need to take offense to the original post as if was a knock on the vette (which it is clearly not). Yes, more than once has a modified car kicked a well driven hyper expensive cars butt. Its physics gents, not an attack on General Motors best..

Having had both these, there is no way you can say one is superior to the other if you are an enthusiast. They are to different and have different characteristics that the other can not match.

Enjoy what you have is the message, but just because something is affordably priced does not make it less.

Look at it another way...on the Ferrrari 599 GTB forum the Z06 is no doubt worse than the Suby is on the vette forum. Cheap, unrefined, and just not in the same blue blood club. But that doesnt lessen that crappy Z06's grin factor even though the 599 boys look down their nose at us poor folks that cant manage more than one of them.

I invite those that are quick to criticize either to drive one in its element. Its easy to malign something you have not actually tried. Afterward you may just find yourself grinning as you enjoy what it had to offer and its differences. Always keep an open mind.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree...enjoy what you have and don't take things too seriously. There's always something faster...often when you least expect it.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 AM
reason_one
Instructor

Of course there is always something faster... often its not a better deal than the C6. Thats my point.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:46 AM
thetopdog
Pro

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO

I don't know where you're from or who you're friends with, but I'm 23 and nobody I know thinks an STi or Evo is cooler than a Vette. STis and Evos are the new Mustangs and Camaros, they're cars that are (relatively) cheap, unrefined, and can be made extremely fast with some mods. They're still a class below the Vette. The only reason young guys might seem to be interested in STis or Evos more than Corvettes is because most of them can't afford a Vette
Old 08-12-2007, 01:51 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by thetopdog
The only reason young guys might seem to be interested in STis or Evos more than Corvettes is because most of them can't afford a Vette
well thats not true....maybe not a new Vette but C5's are getting cheap...actually I find the fact that alot of high HP cars are getting cheap...alot of young kids with that much power is scary....speaking as one of those young kids once Surprised I am still here to sound like my father

Get notified of new replies

To Friend upgrades to a Z06 and gets smoked by Subaru - at the track

Old 08-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I don't know where you're from or who you're friends with, but I'm 23 and nobody I know thinks an STi or Evo is cooler than a Vette. STis and Evos are the new Mustangs and Camaros, they're cars that are (relatively) cheap, unrefined, and can be made extremely fast with some mods. They're still a class below the Vette. The only reason young guys might seem to be interested in STis or Evos more than Corvettes is because most of them can't afford a Vette
Probably has something to do with that alot of my friends are heavily into imports. And I agree with the affordability factor...much easier to get into a new STi or Evo then a C6.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Erix
Pro

Better deal? I dont know if folk get there funds from their money tree int he back yard, but for 32K, the STI is a smokin deal. And if someone likens it to a Forester as they both wear Suby badges...well, the cobolt also has chevy emblems, but I dont think it is the measure for a Z06 simple because they are made by the same manufacturer.

If anyone sole reason to buy a vehicle is to be noticed in crowds....well....

How much does a Enzo cost again?? Oh....this must be a price of admission question, no? I'd say the Enzo rollin next to the Z06 would pretty much render the Z as near to invisible as possible. Just an example of relativity that does not detract from eithers ability.

I'd be thrilled to have any of em. They all rock in the own right and its just nice to have choices.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:16 AM
1974Pantera
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those rice rockets! Four doors and a goofy wing? When it's all said and done, it's just a fast, ugly import!

I have been humbled by several Supra's.......yep, always something faster!

Quick Reply: Friend upgrades to a Z06 and gets smoked by Subaru - at the track