C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using nitrogen to inflate their tires...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Anyone using nitrogen to inflate their tires...?

I saw on Motorweek a segment called Goss' Garage, Pat Goss suggesting using nitrogen vs air to fill your tires... I noticed that my tire pressure goes up and down a lot and they seem to need air added every few weeks. According to Mr. Goss that's because air has more moisture in it when compared to nitrogen.

Found this online..."Nitrogen In Tires

Here are a few other benefits of using Nitrogen in tires:

[1] Nitrogen is denser than Oxygen: This means the larger molecules escape less easily from tires resulting in a more gradual loss of pressure over time. According to the Michelin Tire Manual, a tire that is inflated with Nitrogen loses its pressure 3 times slower than if it were inflated with air.

[2] Nitrogen is moisture free: Pure Nitrogen inflated tires experience less steel belt and rubber degradation. Nitrogen use also reduces valve and wheel corrosion.

[3] Nitrogen provides longer tire life: Nitrogen inflated tire run cooler and require less maintenance according to the Goodyear application bulletin.

[4] Nitrogen is non-flammable: Nitrogen technology has been used in aircraft, military and race car technology for over thirty years.
Does Joe Consumer ‘Get It’?

But can we expect ‘Joe Consumer’ to start paying for this new ‘air’ anytime soon? As always, the answer is “it depends.” If enough businesses and corporations get behind the idea and promote it steadily, uniformly and explain the numerous safety and cost savings, then eventually the message should make it through.

However, you do need to be realistic – it’s still considered by Joe Consumer to be ‘new’ and anything ‘new’ is usually avoided until it becomes familiar – it’s called the product adoption process.

It’s Still Weird Science

The other point to consider here is ‘selling Nitrogen’ is still science – and most people are not that comfortable with the whole science thing. And if you recall I mentioned that regular everyday air is 78% nitrogen anyway – so what would they be paying for?

Regular air is approximately 80% nitrogen anyway, are we to believe that an extra 20% makes all the difference… Ironically we now know that the answer is yes.

A Moral Dilemma

You and I both know that if using Nitrogen means your client’s tires last longer they will save money by not having to purchase as many tires. So Nitrogen use could mean less tire sales… And that’s the moral dilemma for you. Do you want to make a few dollars on tire inflation services that might ultimately reduce your tire sales or do you want to keep on doing business the way it is now?"
Old 09-29-2007, 10:19 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Pat's local to me and has a radio show every week, too, in addition to MotorWeek.

I've used nitrogen in the past but only when it's free such as at Costco. May be worth it to "buy it" wherever it is, but in my opinion, a home compressor and a check of your tires every once in awhile (every week too often?) is sufficient.

It's said that for every 10 degrees F., your tire pressure can change as much as 1 lb., up or down. So, if you set your tires at say, 30 lbs. on a 95 degree day and today it starts out at 55, you could easily be down 4 lbs. or more. The "more" part comes into play when some/most tires leak a little every day.

Add in a month of not looking at it, say a total of 1-2 lbs down from very small leaks, temp change, and you could have a major problem. Or, it could be that your tires just don't seem to last very long (because they're either under- or over-inflated.

But to answer the question, I don't think nitrogen is worth the cost; if it's free, fine. If it costs, I'll just adjust my tires with "free" air.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:27 AM
streetpix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>> You and I both know...

I don't know. So, can anyone point to an objective scientific test/trial/study that concludes that 100% nitrogen provides substantial benefits over mere air (which is almost 80% nitrogen)?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use it and I pay $4 per tire to have it put in when mounting new tires (including a set for the track), but only on my Vette, not my DD car.

I will say I never have had to add more air during a season, the track set still sees an increase in pressure as the tires heat up, just not as drastic as with free air.

For many this may not seem worth it but for me I'm satisfied with the results and will likely continue to use nitrogen next year.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

For the most part, just another scam like fuel line magnets. The 4 items you listed are all . Nitrogen is SMALLER than oxygen so it leaks more. The nitrogen fill is only moisture free is you somehow pull a vacuum on the tires first to remove the original air fill the factory used. Nitrogen should run the tires HOTTER because of smaller atoms transferring more heat from the brake rotors to the rubber. Nitrogen might be non-flammable but what does that have to do with anything? Nitrogen is used when you need a reliable PORTABLE supply of air such as aircraft maintenance and racing. If you have power and room for a compressor, 78% nitrogen and the rest assorted gasses works just fine.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

For every day driving it's a waste of time and money IMO.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
For the most part, just another scam like fuel line magnets.
There are 30-40 different places in town where I can put more air in my tires. Guess how many places there are in town where I can put nitrogen in them.

28-38 of the places in town where I can put air in my tires don't charge for this service. Do you think anyone's going to let you put nitrogen in your tires free?

Nitrogen in the tires does not give me one more advantage than air does.

If you have to add air to your tires every couple of weeks, you've got a problem that needs to be fixed. I don't have to add air to mine every couple of weeks. Nitrogen won't fix your problem.

Please don't post such threads here when 1). they've been posted a half dozen times in the last 2 years, and 2) they make no sense at all if you just stop and think about it for half a minute.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,582 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
For the most part, just another scam like fuel line magnets. The 4 items you listed are all . Nitrogen is SMALLER than oxygen so it leaks more. The nitrogen fill is only moisture free is you somehow pull a vacuum on the tires first to remove the original air fill the factory used. Nitrogen should run the tires HOTTER because of smaller atoms transferring more heat from the brake rotors to the rubber. Nitrogen might be non-flammable but what does that have to do with anything? Nitrogen is used when you need a reliable PORTABLE supply of air such as aircraft maintenance and racing. If you have power and room for a compressor, 78% nitrogen and the rest assorted gasses works just fine.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:41 AM
GSIRM3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
[1] Nitrogen is denser than Oxygen:
Who fills their tires with oxygen?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:46 AM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on filling mine with Helium. I figure if I can get enough in the tires, that sucker ought to become pretty much weightless. Waddya think???? Gas mileage oughta be FANTASTIC!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:49 AM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

My dealer (Lou Bachrodt Chevrolet,Rockford,Illinois) filled my tires with Nitrogen,free of charge. I do notice the pressure varies less from a cold start to road speeds than just air in my 05 did.Would I pay for this,I doubt it, but as long as it was free I won't change it.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:04 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The best benefit gained from Nitrogen fill is for storing the car for long periods of time. If you can get it for free, fine. If you have to pay for it it isn't worth it. You will still notice variation in pressure with temperature, just not as extreme. Unless you evacuate ALL the air in the tire it will immediately dimish some of the benefit of a Nitrogen fill. Lastly, the first time you find yourself in a pinch and have to put normal air in the tire for whatever reason you would erase any and all benefit of the nitrogen. Not worth the time and effort. Leave it for airplanes and race cars.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 AM
TiVoManiac
Racer

Originally Posted by turmat
I plan on filling mine with Helium. I figure if I can get enough in the tires, that sucker ought to become pretty much weightless. Waddya think???? Gas mileage oughta be FANTASTIC!
The bottom gets too light and you end up on your roof.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:17 AM
evmlarry
Pro

Here's a random note... I'm not 100% sure on modern military, but I do know early jets, such as the F-86, used nitrogen rather than air to help reduce pressure flux at different temperatures. That said, I'm sure it's common place in all modern jets. That's the only real reason why I'd think to use nitrogen in any tire personally.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

This is why these threads always get closed....someone has to be an azz....

don't like the topic move on.

had 3 cars filled with Nitrogen for free during the tire change...my 99 seems to have the best overall results with little to no fluctuation in tire pressure....my 07 only had teh rears swapped and they seem to be consistently within 1-2 PSI whereas the fronts with "regular air" have needed to be topped off every couple weeks. The 02 has been the most inconsistent however the installer told me the tires we mounted may not bead well as they were close to being a bit to big for the stock wheel and in fact the front left did have a slow leak to begin with and we broke the bead and reseated it and it has held fine since but overall I have noticed the most fluctuation on this car.

The guy who does my installs come to me and his written a few articles on nitrogen etc.

www.pitcrewtire.com
Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 AM
redrokit8
Racer

What do you when you're on the road and need to add air?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The true benefits of using nitrogen to the average motorist are debatable. IMO if it's free and convenient use it. Otherwise, it isn't worth the cost or effort.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using nitrogen to inflate their tires...?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Delta1
Intermediate

just thinking out loud but if you use a filter/dryer on an air compressor and pump in dry air (nitrogen,oxygen,trace gasses mix) will the pressure change as much as with wet air coming from a pump?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:51 AM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redrokit8
What do you when you're on the road and need to add air?
Add it. Our company vehicles (1/2 ton trucks to 10 tons) come with nitrogen in the tires. Everyone always asks me what's up with the green valve stem caps.

We're told that if you can find nitrogen to use it. If not, add air. I've had this company truck for almost a year and a half and at 61,000+ miles, I've never had to add nitrogen or air. Based on that, I may try it in the Vette, but like the others, I won't pay extra for it.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 PM
2bubbas
Drifting

It's in mine. Dealer did it or so I was told. Don't remember seeing green valve caps though.

Quick Reply: Anyone using nitrogen to inflate their tires...?