C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing A Vette Into Canada - Dream On

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

Default Importing A Vette Into Canada - Dream On

I’ve vented on this before, but here I go again:

The reason why 2008 Corvettes (and the Cadillac XLR) are inadmissable to Canada is pure GM at its finest!

About a 2 months ago, the 2008 Vette was not allowed into Canada because of Canadian regulations on engine immobilizers. In September of 2007, all vehicles being imported into Canada had to have EI built as per Canadian specifications.

The 2008 Vette has an EI, but it is not precisely as per Canadian spec. It does the same thing - but does not have the Canadian seal of approval. Note that GM Canada had no problem importing the Vette -retailing them at much higher prices.

About a month ago, a big time Canadian car importer went to the Canadian Government and argued (with lawyers) that this made no sense. After much ado, the Canadian government revised their regulations to say that ‘if the vehicle already has an EI in place, it will be accepted as is’.

When I heard this I was elated - now I could buy an 08 in the USA, import it, and save considerable bucks.

But.... alas it is still just a dream. GM decided shortly thereafter that the 2008 Vette bumpers could not be altered to accommodate the Canadian impact standard of 5mph and sustain no damage. This is bogus and utter nonsense. This is a C6, and there are specific parts available (from GM) to upgrade all C6 bumpers to accommodate the Canadian standards. 2005 thru 2007 Vettes can be imported provided the bumper mods are made. Yet somehow, GM is telling the Canadian government that the 2008 bumpers cannot be modified.

IMHO the only major difference between the 2007 Vette and the 2008 Vette is the LS3. Unless GM is attaching mounting brackets from the front bumper to help stabilize all this power (I’m joking of course), the bumpers on all C6's are identical.

The importer is once again trying to work with the Canadian government on this matter - but really this is GM’s decision and I’m sure our government can’t change that. GM is using the Canadian government to orchestrate their plan to stop the importation of the 2008 Corvette!

Now in some fairness to GM, they have not made any price increases to the ‘Canadian’ Vette as they have in America. In addition, they are also offering a $9,000 credit towards the cash purchase of an 08 Vette. Sounds like a start, but it’s still quite shy of reality. Here is a breakdown of the price differences as of January 2008. Bear in mind that in Canada, we have to shell out a 13% tax on most items, including cars.

In Canada, you can only get a 3LT Vette. The MSRP of the base Vette (3LT coupe, MN6) is $69,985 including shipping. If you are paying cash, subtract $9,000 for now (I don’t know how long this credit will last). This translates to $60,985 (+ 13% tax).

In the US, a similar Vette MSRP is $51,455. I imagine that a dealer will knock off a few thousand on this. So we are talking at least $10,000 + 13% tax right off the bat, even with the $9,000 credit.

An 08 equipped with what I want is $79,555 MSRP (+13% tax) in Canada vs $57,745 MSRP (+?% tax) in USA. Subtract whatever discounts you like -it’s big bucks difference.

There is a stunning black Z06 (3LT + Nav) MSRP $106,500 + 13% tax at a local dealer. Even with $9,000 off , this is unaffordable for me!

And what is even more annoying are the options. For example, Mag ride (F55) is $1,995 in US, and a whopping $2,915 in Canada. Chrome wheels are $1,850 in US, and $2,500 in Canada. The blasted wheels are made in China - why are they $650 more in Canada (+13% on the difference)! Ah but I’m ranting on......

The silly part is that I am still a GM man. I have always driven GM. I still own a 69 GTO that I bought new. My dad has been buying GM since 1948. They have some great cars; and the Vette is BIG time great.

I may have to wait until the fall and try to hunt down a second hand 08. The sadness - I will pay more for a second hand Vette in Canada than a new one in the US. Way to go GM.

MG....
Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 PM
ZNFUL-Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your pain.... and frustration....

This differential in pricing is
Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM isn't the only offender. I was just checking, and the Porsche Cayman S, which is $59,100 in the US, is $75,300 in Canada. That's ridiculus too. Apparently the Canadian market is just much more expensive across the board.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As of June 26th you can import a new 2008. The bumper issue has been resolved and was just announced last week.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releas...8/08-h158e.htm

Last edited by Binnie77; 07-04-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:35 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Why are you trying to blame GM? It's YOUR Canadian Government that controls the prices and availability of imports. GM wants to sell cars, the Canadian Goverment doesn't want GM cars.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:03 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I see this is an old post but........ 13% sales tax?

And we have dumbasses over here that want socialized medicine?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It seems like a great deal of your problem lies with the 'Dominion.' I truly believe GM would prefer to sell the units rather than not. I hope things workout for you.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:56 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

GM is more concerned about protecting their Dealers than selling cars...
Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by haljensen
Why are you trying to blame GM? It's YOUR Canadian Government that controls the prices and availability of imports. GM wants to sell cars, the Canadian Goverment doesn't want GM cars.
I don't get this. How does the government control prices? As for the bumper issue, how is GM's declaration that the 08 can't be modified (which has to be hooey) anyone but GM's fault?

GM doesn't want you to import the car as they make more money if you can't. Why would the government care?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 AM
WHT
Drifting

Sounds like a Canada problem to me.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
GM is more concerned about protecting their Dealers than selling cars...
Surely you jest.....
Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Gran Torino
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

WRONG......It is not our government setting the prices. It is GMC. I phoned them, they said our prices are higher because the cost of doing business in Canada is higher and that as the Canadian economy is healthier they are not discounting the cars.

There is free trade between Canada and the USA, our government has NOTHING to do with how car makers set their MSRP....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Saying my Government doesn't want GM autos is whack.

Last edited by Gran Torino; 07-05-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I have sold quite a few sets of Canadian bumper conversions for around $500 for this reason. I'm sure they got the cars in?

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCF
WRONG......It is not our government setting the prices. It is GMC. I phoned them, they said our prices are higher because the cost of doing business in Canada is higher and that as the Canadian economy is healthier they are not discounting the cars.

There is free trade between Canada and the USA, our government has NOTHING to do with how car makes set their MSRP....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Saying my Government doesn't want GM autos is whack.
Read your own statement above; "---the cost of doing business in Canada---". Your Goverment decides import regulations and costs, not GM.

Our Forum Dealers would love to sell 'Vettes to Canadians but Canadian regulations don't allow it. Import duties and nit picking bumper regulations are set by Canada, not GM.

"Free Trade"?!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:40 AM
WHT
Drifting

Read your own statement above; "---the cost of doing business in Canada---". Your Goverment decides import regulations and costs, not GM.

Our Forum Dealers would love to sell 'Vettes to Canadians but Canadian regulations don't allow it. Import duties and nit picking bumper regulations are set by Canada, not GM.

"Free Trade"?!

Besides taxes, duties and various import fees, some people don't understand how countries can "influence" local prices of goods and wages. I worked in the U.K. for many years with a large U.S. company. The locals were always upset (openly angry) because American salaries were higher than local salaries and blamed our company for the difference (after COLA and tax adjustments). We couldn't tell them that our company was privately "advised" by the U.K. government to be careful with local compensation. They didn't want us to "disturb" their economy and we were "asked" to keep local wages within a "recommended" range.

The reverse also occurs to protect local industry - for example, increasing the price of imported cars. The Canadian government does not want imported cars to sell for less than it would cost to manufacture them in Canada for obvious reasons.

Canada has become one of the most expensive places in the world to assemble cars even for Toyota, the company's Canadian president says.

Even without having to pay for the terms and conditions of a CAW or UAW union contract, Toyota is finding the cost of building vehicles in Canada to be rising rapidly, says Ray Tanguay, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada.

Those costs are mainly driven by the currency, which affects all parts purchases and the cost of labour.

"There is more than just labour costs," Tanguay said. Benefits cost more in Canada, and there is more labour cost per car than in the U.S. because of more generous parental leaves and vacations.
There are also higher logistics costs, higher payroll taxes, higher fuel taxes and property taxes and electrical rates in Canada. Given those higher inputs, Tanguay said, it will be increasingly difficult -- if not impossible -- for him to convince his superiors that Canada is a place that should receive more investment.

Last edited by WHT; 07-06-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 AM
darv
Advanced

if you look at the riv list of cars that can be imported it has now changed you can import almost all gm the corvettes are part of this list as of Friday July 4th also you do not have to change the bumpers they are ok now. all it cost to import is $209.00 + gst and some paper work on your part very easy to do if anybody wants help i will gladly help i have done close to 50 cars for Friends
Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
As of June 26th you can import a new 2008. The bumper issue has been resolved and was just announced last week.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releas...8/08-h158e.htm
Yep, when I saw that I was like all those people over in Windsor will be happy to come over to Detroit and buy up cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Importing A Vette Into Canada - Dream On

Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTrot
Yep, when I saw that I was like all those people over in Windsor will be happy to come over to Detroit and buy up cars.
Yes, if they will sell them to us that is. I notice that several dealers selling new Corvettes on ebay will not sell to Canada. I am not sure if this is dictated by GM USA or by dealers themselves. But, I am soon to find out
Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately you are incorrect. It is GM canada that sets MSRP here, not our government. The ONLY difference is safety regulations, and I had my imported vette converted for around $500. That doesn't explain the 50% higher MSRP here in Canada. Their claim of "higher cost of doing business" is just a ridiculous statement.

Our Forum Dealers would love to sell 'Vettes to Canadians but Canadian regulations don't allow it.
Wrong again my friend. It is the dealership agreement with GM that stops US dealers from selling to foreigners. It used to be the same problem Cdn dealers had selling into the US when the dollar was the other way around. If a dealer is found to have sold a car for export they can lose their dealership.

Import duties and nit picking bumper regulations are set by Canada, not GM.
"Free Trade"?!
There are no import duties on GM products.

It is the importers responsiblity to make sure the car is compliant for the country they are importing it to not the selling dealership. While it is true that Canadian and US safety regulations may have been slightly different, it was GM who claimed magically in 08 that the cars were not modifiable, not our useless Cdn government. Those regulations have now been harmonized.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Basically GM is protecting their Canadian dealers. If they didn't any one who wanted a Corvette (porsche or any other expensive car) would merely go across the border to purchase and there would be no GM dealers left in Canada. The "excuses" are just that to get around the real reason.

Quick Reply: Importing A Vette Into Canada - Dream On