C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 System / Control Switch Change in 2008 C6 / ZR1 Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default F55 System / Control Switch Change in 2008 C6 / ZR1 Information

In response to some questions I had, I spoke yesterday with Darin Dellinger, one of the head Delphi engineer's responsible for the F55 system in the Corvette. Although Mr. Dellinger is not specifically working on the Corvette suspension at this time, he is still involved with controlled suspensions and knows what's going on.

Someone asked me why the F55 console control switch for the '05-07 F55 has 4 pins with 3 wires going to it and the '08 F55 control switch has 12 pins. I had speculated it was either because it there was some cost savings realized by using a ‘common’ switch or the more complicated switch was to allow for some increased functionality in the future…such as for ride height control.

Mr. Dellinger wasn’t specifically aware of the switch change but he looked into it for me. According to Mr. Dellinger, the more complicated switch does not, at this time, signify any upcoming enhanced user control capabilities to the F55 system. In fact, he has stated previously that many system engineers’ feel that no user control is necessary for the F55 system at all.

There have been other threads speculating on what differences (especially hardware differences) there may be between the C6 F55 system and the MagneRide suspension in the upcoming ZR1.

I learned…although the ZR1 MagneRide suspension is quite similar to the F55, there are certain differences both in hardware and software.

The ZR1 has new damper design details with slightly different internals. The control algorithms or calibration sets are somewhat different as well...certain algorithms from the F55 calibration sets have been deleted or de-emphasized and the ZR1 possesses launch control and track detect algorithms. The ZR1 system is slightly more progressive going away from the 50/50 damper with an improved passive response.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 PM
SorcererXIII
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for future ZR1 owners (hey for that price it'd better have more than just higher horsepower!)

Do you (or anyone) know what a "track detect" algorithm is? Sounds a bit like active handling but for the shocks? Is the F55 computer able to be upgraded/reflashed with newer algorithms over time (for example, with the aforementioned "tract detect" algorithms)?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now make the actual ZR1 system available on the coupes...and those brakes ...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayne,

Thanks for the follow up on this.

Do you know if there were any real changes to the F55 system for 2008? I seem to remember reading a few reports from forum members who compaired 2005-2007 F55 and the 2008 F55 ride in SPORT mode. A few members reported the 2008 F55 SPORT mode was firmer riding? I know the 2008's have diffrent shock and computer part numbers. Any idea if these new part numbers are the second generation MR shocks? I read Cadillac's will have the second generation shocks also.

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To F55 System / Control Switch Change in 2008 C6 / ZR1 Information

Quick Reply: F55 System / Control Switch Change in 2008 C6 / ZR1 Information