C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Risk - Ecklers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Srykr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible Risk - Ecklers

Just to warn you guys, I recently purchased some splash guards and other items from Ecklers, Did it online. They Charged my Credit Card, I received the items. All is well. Until couple days later when Someone has my CC number and is having a good time of it, (must not be a member didn't order anything cool). Thank goodness My CC company caught it and called me.

You might ask how I can pinpoint Ecklers as the risk? Easy, I recently obtained a new Cell phone for work with a new number. Only had it a few days when made the order, so I used that number on ecklers website. Guess what they are using that Phone number to submit orders.

Called and spoke to Ecklers Real nice, said was going to forward up to their Internet department, Haven't heard back. Just to warn might call them and order items over the phone. Had no problems with service or products.

Just to give you guys a heads up.

Srykr
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up. Sure hope you get everything sorted out quickly with minimum hassle.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You may've known for years that the cred card companies warn people not to use roam phones (those 2.4 ghz, 5.8ghz, etc.) or cell phones to give out cred card numbers.

I see you ordered online, not sure if that means it was stolen at the store, or over the internet. Either one is possible.

When I'm on the road and calling ahead for a hotel, I tell them my name, my approx. time of arrival, and that I"m on a cell and don't want to give out the cred card number. They have always understood, all across the country, for over 10 years.

At home, I have only 1 hardwire (line/cord) phone, and I use it usually for only 1 reason: to order things with my credit card. Sounds hokey, but it's true.

Good thread!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a big web site and I would have to agree. They do not have an SSL secure site. If you notice when you check out there is no secure symbol in the bottom right of your web browser. That is not good! Edit: Not 100% true. They are registered with Verisign https://seal.verisign.com/splash?for...RS.COM&lang=en

Just make sure you see the lock in your browser before you submit your card.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry about the problem. I've used Ecklers for years and no problem yet.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Ok, they do have the lock when you check out. All you need to do is hit guest and don't fill anything out just hit continue. I guarantee you it was not Ecklers that your problem has come from if the order was placed online. I would actually delete this entire thread because it is almost slander against them. I would not like it if I was them. I'm 100% sure their site is secure now. I would look at your new cell phone provider. hmmm

Last edited by LiquidDI; 04-30-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

More than likely it's not anything having to do with the website, it's an employee or janitor or someone along the line that had access to get that CC number once the order was made. Online info hijacking is extremely rare since the packet size is so small and there are so many millions of transmissions to filter through.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Srykr
Advanced

Order was placed Online. Not accusing them but does seem funny I use a brand new cell phone number that got couple days before place the order and it's what they have with the CC. Had one of the companies that they bought stuff from give me the info they entered in the purchase
(already have police report etc). Hence why I put Possible risk. I've only order 2 items offline using this CC that was stolen and both of those where from Ecklers. Never use this one when dining out, (plus how would they get my Cell phone, which isn't listed to me?)
Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Srykr
Advanced

Originally Posted by keyplyr
More than likely it's not anything having to do with the website, it's an employee or janitor or someone along the line that had access to get that CC number once the order was made. Online info hijacking is extremely rare since the packet size is so small and there are so many millions of transmissions to filter through.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Good points. Let's try to narrow this down. Where were the fraud transactions made? Over the phone or were they swiped somewhere (they can tell swiped or typed in)? I would have to agree if they were placed over the phone then it narrows down to either the cell phone company or an employee at Ecklers. Problem is, you may never know.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
C6_blackhawk
Pro

Could be a weird coincidence, but I recently had my number stolen as well, and I just placed an order with them on the 16th. Not more than 7 days later... my card was being used by someone else. I think that they are the culprits.

Last edited by C6_blackhawk; 04-30-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6_blackhawk
Could be a weird coincidence, but I recently had my number stolen as well, and I just placed an order with them on the 16th. Not more than 7 days later... my card was being used by someone else. I think that they are the culprits.
wow! That does it for me! Not good!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been doing business with Eckler since 1980's. Never had a problem.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
ten64
Burning Brakes

Default Be careful out there!!

I'm not sure if I fully understand how this all happened but in my line of work, I see alot of fraud. Criminals always seem to be at the cutting edge of figuring out how to rip us off. I still can't figure out how these credit card companys can absorb millions of $$$$ in loss every year and still stay in business???
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AORoads
You may've known for years that the cred card companies warn people not to use roam phones (those 2.4 ghz, 5.8ghz, etc.) or cell phones to give out cred card numbers.

I see you ordered online, not sure if that means it was stolen at the store, or over the internet. Either one is possible.

When I'm on the road and calling ahead for a hotel, I tell them my name, my approx. time of arrival, and that I"m on a cell and don't want to give out the cred card number. They have always understood, all across the country, for over 10 years.

At home, I have only 1 hardwire (line/cord) phone, and I use it usually for only 1 reason: to order things with my credit card. Sounds hokey, but it's true.

Good thread!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM
C6_blackhawk
Pro

Please, this in no way is meant to steer business away from Ecklers, because they offer great products, as good prices (hence why I ordered from them). As Ten64 mentioned, internet criminals are pretty damn smart, but I would say the cause of this is their lack of internet security (SSL). So, until they update their website, I would be leery of ordering online with them. Doesn't mean you can't browse online and then call them and order. That also goes for any other website, be leery if they don't have good security ( the little lock icon in the bottom of your browser). Its not surprising, if I were an internet thief, I would go after a site that sells things to corvette people, because I know they have money. Stealing their credit card and buying small items, might go unnoticed because they probably have lots of money and don't keep a very close eye on it.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:13 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the warning.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Risk - Ecklers

Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

When was the last time you up dated your p/c's anti-spy ware program. The problem might be a key logger program or some kind of Trojan.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

Good thread!
Good point. I've been a little careless in that area also. Guess I'll be getting a hard wire phone just for security times.

BJK
Old 05-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There's really no telling for sure (at this point) if the breach was from Eckler's or not. If the transaction was executed on a cell phone it's not uncommon for thieves with scanners to poach your information right from the airwaves (I've had my cell phone number and transmit codes stolen this way before). The phone company finally flagged my account for suspicious foreign phone calls and gave me a loaner phone while they changed my unique transmit/account codes.

Although no one has ever made fraudulent charges on my credit cards before...thieves have got my number and attempted to do so. Fortunately, the CC company (clearinghouse) caught it both times.

[QUOTE=LiquidDI;1565260713]I own a big web site and I would have to agree. They do not have an SSL secure site. If you notice when you check out there is no secure symbol in the bottom right of your web browser. That is not good! Edit: Not 100% true. They are registered with Verisign https://seal.verisign.com/splash?for...RS.COM&lang=en

Just make sure you see the lock in your browser before you submit your card.[/QUOTE]

The lack of a lock symbol is not always indicative of an unsecure site. The https...the hypertext transfer protocol over secure socket layer (SSL) is a URI scheme that indicates a secure, encrypted HTTP connection. I prefer seeing the lock symbol but many secure transaction sites do not show it.

Even though you have protection against fraudulent charges on your account, some people maintain one (lower limit) credit card which is used solely for interweb transactions...separate from their 'regular' credit card(s).

Quick Reply: Possible Risk - Ecklers