C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Program key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:12 PM
dwpark
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Program key fob

I have a 2006 C-6 and am trying to program a replacement key fob. Manual says to open the hatch using manual key and then turn the key 5 times. The DIC is supposed to respond but nothing happens.
Any suggestions before I have to take in to the dealer?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
adamstirels2
6th Gear

I had no luck either. Took mine to the dealer. They only charged me 40 bucks and I think they had to program both fobs however only had one new one.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:32 PM
dwpark
4th Gear

Default No luck

Adam thanks for the quick reply; I'm glad to see I'm not alone, thought it might be a simple user problem. The GM parts guy said I might have a problem programming it myself but I thought I'd at least give it a try.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:34 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,252 Posts

My 07 didn't work as described either, had to have the dealer do it.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Take a look at this thread first. Be aware there are 2 different programming procedures. If you want to program a #2, #3, or #4 fob, the shorter procedure in the owner's manual is what you should use. However, if you want to program a #1 fob, then you will have to use the long procedure that resets all fobs for your car and you will have to reprogram all fobs you've got.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...98&postcount=7
Old 11-28-2008, 09:18 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Take a look at this thread first. Be aware there are 2 different programming procedures. If you want to program a #2, #3, or #4 fob, the shorter procedure in the owner's manual is what you should use. However, if you want to program a #1 fob, then you will have to use the long procedure that resets all fobs for your car and you will have to reprogram all fobs you've got.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...98&postcount=7
Old 11-28-2008, 09:55 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I agree....(but then that's my post, so I should). The dealer is just going to diddle with it just like you would. Try relaxing and slow it down a bit. Also you can keep turning the key after five times...any five turns is going to do it...it doesn't have to be the first five. The lock cylinder opens the trunk, but it is also a simple electric switch. The contacts may be a bit dirty if you never turn the key, so if they are dirty, then the switch isn't notifying the DIC. But by far the most common culprit is that people try too hard and go too fast. Five turns in five seconds is not THAT fast. Try turning slower and making sure that you turn all the way each time.
One member on here had luck with starting the car, then turning it off and immediately running back to turn the key...certainly worth a try, but I've never found it necessary here. Let us know!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
USA TOY 2
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
I agree....(but then that's my post, so I should). The dealer is just going to diddle with it just like you would. Try relaxing and slow it down a bit. Also you can keep turning the key after five times...any five turns is going to do it...it doesn't have to be the first five. The lock cylinder opens the trunk, but it is also a simple electric switch. The contacts may be a bit dirty if you never turn the key, so if they are dirty, then the switch isn't notifying the DIC. But by far the most common culprit is that people try too hard and go too fast. Five turns in five seconds is not THAT fast. Try turning slower and making sure that you turn all the way each time.
One member on here had luck with starting the car, then turning it off and immediately running back to turn the key...certainly worth a try, but I've never found it necessary here. Let us know!
Frustrating , but it works, must be persistent
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Camper Joe
Cruising

Default Program Key Fob with the parking brake on

I had this problem with my 2006 Z06. After trying the Program Key Fob Procedure numerous times, I gave up. The next day I tried it again with the car in reverse (manual) and the parking brake on. And it worked great! I never had the parking brake on the previous day. It made the difference. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

It's a strugle that's for sure.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
C6ANG
Intermediate

I tried exactly the same thing first and did not work on my 07. I tried it with turning the car on then off quickly AND putting it reverse and it worked perfectly. Total time took 3 min start to finish. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:41 PM
SoCalGuy
5th Gear

Default Programming C-6 key fob finally worked

All instructions tell you to start by putting the key fob in the car. Only one said that the key fob you put in the car is the "working" key fob, not the new one. Once I got that it only took a few minutes to program the new fob.
INSTRUCTIONS:
Put the "working" key fob on the console next to the shifter.
Open the glove box and trunk hatch.
Put the key in the trunk keyhole and turn it 5 times in less than 5 seconds.
DIC will display "Ready for fob 3".
Put the new fob in the glove box slot facing right and key ring facing out.
Watch DIC. When it says, "Ready for fob 4" the new fob is programmed.
When all fobs are programmed push the OFF/ACC (bottom of the START button)
P.S. Some instructions say no cellphones in the car when doing this.

Get notified of new replies

To Program key fob

Quick Reply: Program key fob