C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on 08/09 Manual Tranny Grind in 2nd/3rd Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Well I had it and have had it with GM. I just won arbitration with GM and my Z will be going back via Lemon Law for GM's failure to fix the transmission grind.
There is no reason for us to have to put up with a crappy transmission on such expensive cars. I hope to be out of this car in the next week.

When you bring your cars in make sure you keep all of the documentation and any phone calls, letters etc. It helps if you have to go the arbitration route.

I feel for everyone with a grinding transmission, it is a pain. I haven't driven mine in about two months other than to wash it and the grinding is annoying to say the least. My second gear at times feels like it wants to jump back to first, third and fourth are just about as ugly.

Good luck with the wonderful T6060 transmissions.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:32 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide
Well hopefully we aren't all screwed, but I agree there should definitely be a service bulletin about this. I'm sure if I took it into the dealer and explained that lots of owners are experiencing this with the 08/09 (new) transmission, they would look at me like I was crazy and tell me to spend less time on the internet.

I agree it is unacceptable for a 50 - 60K sport scar to have a temperamental shifter. I'm glad I was one of the "lucky" ones and it's worked itself out. But for all the rest out there ... I feel your pain believe me!!
There is a TSB on the grind, it is a joke to say the least. Basically it tells everyone you have to live with it. It calls out a specific temp of 32 degrees and tells the technician to drive the car 20 miles and see if the problem goes away, if it does it is normal.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good news.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM
jccarr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured out my 08 with 10,000 miles on it when it started to get cold last fall no longer had the issue. I'm sure it corrected itself prior to 10,000 miles but I did not notice it till fall. I do change the clutch fluid very few 1000 miles for what is is worth.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

I did the clutch fluid change, it was clear when I started and clear when I finished. No change in how the transmission acted.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 AM
robertjmagee
Intermediate

Good info.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04Z16
Well I had it and have had it with GM. I just won arbitration with GM and my Z will be going back via Lemon Law for GM's failure to fix the transmission grind.
There is no reason for us to have to put up with a crappy transmission on such expensive cars. I hope to be out of this car in the next week.

Good luck trying to find another ride that comes close for twice the price.
The fact that the transmission works perfectly when warmed up tells that its not a catastrophic defect. Mine took about 4K miles to "loosen" up and does not exhibit any more grinding when cold.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by 04Z16

When you bring your cars in make sure you keep all of the documentation and any phone calls, letters etc. It helps if you have to go the arbitration route.

I feel for everyone with a grinding transmission, it is a pain. I haven't driven mine in about two months other than to wash it and the grinding is annoying to say the least. My second gear at times feels like it wants to jump back to first, third and fourth are just about as ugly.

It does make one wonder why they changed to a new transmission in the first place

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time with the grind that it has ruined your Corvette (and Z06, no less) experience. I agree it is total BS for Chevy to say it's "normal."
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

It does make one wonder why they changed to a new transmission in the first place
It makes lots of sense... It's a much better unit...

read here:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...008tr6060.html
Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Tracktimeplz
Advanced

Hmm, maybe im crazy, just throwin this out here, but could it be a little bur left on the gears from the machining process? This would explain it just "Going away" after getting some miles on it. Maybe just a little imperfection in there that gets worn down???
Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
It makes lots of sense... It's a much better unit...

read here:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...008tr6060.html
Thanks. That's an interesting list.

"2008 Model Year Summary
Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual car transmission

* Wider gears increase torque-handling capability
* Stronger one-piece countershaft now standard on all versions
* Housing strengthened to minimize flex and improve shifting
* New synchronizer system reduces shift efforts
* Integrated pump into front adaptor
* Double-cone reverse gear synchronizer added for easier reverse selection"

Perhaps it's the new synchronizer and those reduced-shift efforts
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm glad your problem went away. I would still suggest changing the transmission fluid for 'good measure.' I never had any problems with my 2005 gearbox but I did switch to Royal Purple Synchromax. No matter which fluid you use, I think using fresh, clean transmission fluid could only help.

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
I have the same problem. I have 8,600 miles on my '08. So what is it? Can it go away by itself? After reading many threads I was preparing to change my tranny fluid with Mobil1 (since it is GM approved). But now this is new to me. I do not use 2nd gear anymore. If I do, I double clutch shift into second.
I sympathize with your problem and with all due respect, "...not using 2nd gear anymore" isn't a solution. Avoiding the problem seems wrong to me...you paid for a functional transmission and for warranty coverage in the event of a problem. On a personal note, I couldn't imagine driving around not using gears in 'proper' sequence. If the problem is that bad I strongly suggest you take your car to the dealership and fix it.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tracktimeplz
Hmm, maybe im crazy, just throwin this out here, but could it be a little bur left on the gears from the machining process? This would explain it just "Going away" after getting some miles on it. Maybe just a little imperfection in there that gets worn down???
Also torque specs might be off which would correct itself over time with heat cycles and some wear.. Over the years I've had gear boxes that required warm up time before they shifted smoothly.. this one is no exception. These are large HD trannies that handle huge amounts of torque.. I don't expect it to have the same finesse as one in a Honda civic that is desgined to handle 80 ft lbs of torque..
Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Also torque specs might be off which would correct itself over time with heat cycles and some wear.. Over the years I've had gear boxes that required warm up time before they shifted smoothly.. this one is no exception. These are large HD trannies that handle huge amounts of torque.. I don't expect it to have the same finesse as one in a Honda civic that is desgined to handle 80 ft lbs of torque..
I agree. Let's also note that Wayne is recommending actual transmission fluid, not clutch fluid, as compared to what 04Z changed out.

Last edited by AORoads; 03-16-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

I should count myself extremely lucky. My 08 never had this problem. I'll continue to pray to the Corvette Gods that my car (other than the one weird problem with the blower motor which has never reoccurred) has been problem free.

If you guys haven't swapped out shifters, do so. The engagement is so much more positive in the MGW.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 09 Z06 - so far, I have not had any issues with shifting.......cold or warm. Of course, I do warm up the engine for a couple of minutes and take it easy until warmed up, but I for one am very happy with the transmission and shifting - this is my 2nd C6 MN6 and both were good - I agree with the advice to take it easy until warm, etc. Makes you wonder on the actual tech's who put these transmissions together if there wasn't 1 or 2 unhappy employees!

Good luck, Ron
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninLS3
Just curious - have you changed your clutch fluid? I did mine today and my 08 MN6 shifted much better in all gears esp. 1-2 and 2-3 quickly and smoother.
Yes. "Ranger" method Every 750 miles regardless of reservoir being dark or not.

Originally Posted by TR-6060
Got the problem here too with 8617 miles on my '08. As mentioned in other posts, it can take more than 20+ minutes to completely go away at times. I have sometimes had the notchiness when the tranny is up to temperature as well. Mine has never made an audible grind, but I do not like the feedback in the stick at all (rough feeling at the engagement point). When the problem goes away, the trans feels GREAT! As a side note, I have changed my clutch fluid several times since the car was new and typically do it every 2000-3000 miles (Prestone synthetic DOT-4).
Thank you for your reply. Yes, identical to the issue I have right now, except it is a bit more than notchiness. I hear 2-3 sawtooths while shifting to 2nd. Yes, I use Prestone Synth DOT-4 too.

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I sympathize with your problem and with all due respect, "...not using 2nd gear anymore" isn't a solution. Avoiding the problem seems wrong to me...you paid for a functional transmission and for warranty coverage in the event of a problem. On a personal note, I couldn't imagine driving around not using gears in 'proper' sequence. If the problem is that bad I strongly suggest you take your car to the dealership and fix it.
Thank you for your reply Wayne O. I agree. Avoiding the problem is not a solution in this case. I also agree with 'proper' shifting sequence. Hence all of us MN6 users got rid of CAGS. I was not very clear when I said I do not use 2nd gear. Of course I do use that gear naturally after driving for 10+ miles. Before that, if I have to use 2nd, I pause, double clutch, and rev match too.

Last edited by bimmerborn; 03-16-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Update on 08/09 Manual Tranny Grind in 2nd/3rd Shifts

Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
lstorm2003
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
Do a search; one fellow just had his trans replaced after being in the shop forever. Also, you are certain that this isn't CAGS kicking in, right? (skip shift from first to fourth gear)
that was me... Dealer tried to rebuild it first (despite my objections). They made it worse. About 45 days later, I finally got my car back with a brand new transmission. This one seems to be working well so far..
Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
lstorm2003
Racer

here is what mine was doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6tMEmeBjkU

turn up your sound..
Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts