C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about a FULL divider to separate the cabin from trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do you think about a FULL divider to separate the cabin from trunk on the Coupe?

I would love to separate the cabin from the trunk. I mean fully separate them.

I don't like that the trunk is accessible from the cabin on my 07 C6 Coupe.

1) I don't like the road noise
2) It would seem much more sportier if there was a full separation

I understand there would be 2 issues to address. (Unless you guys can think of others)

1) The rear view mirror sight out the back, so there would have to be some glass or acrylic involved

2) The rear speakers would have to be moved inside the cabin, probably mounted in the new divider projecting into the cabin.

I can't find a product like this anywhere on the web. I'm curious how you would feel about a mod like this. I'm big into fabrication & may take this on.

Steve from NY

Last edited by vettemann62; 04-03-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the line of sight issue would be the biggest concern. One of the things I like about the car is the airiness of the cabin, but when I think of it I really can't see the practical utility of having an undivided cabin. It might look a little strange with the top off and stored when seen from the rear. You could mount the speakers facing forward in the bulkhead itself. The "vettebin" partition seems like a good compromise, but I'd bet there would be interest in your mockup.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider this; I just had to climb in thru the rear hatch to do a manual release on driver's door due to a dead battery. :o So, if you do have a cabin divider fabricated make sure you can remove it from the rear!
FWIW. . .
Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Good point.
Originally Posted by jackcasa
Consider this; I just had to climb in thru the rear hatch to do a manual release on driver's door due to a dead battery. :o So, if you do have a cabin divider fabricated make sure you can remove it from the rear!
FWIW. . .
Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 PM
steppindown
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

FWIW. . .
Originally Posted by dvilin
Good point.
OK I have now found two more people who didn't spend nearly enough time learning about their cars.

You can open the drivers door on any C6 from the hatch area by pulling the door release lever on the left wall of the hatch area. A partition of any kind would not interfere with this feature.

I would however have been LMAO watching you crawl in thru the back of the car to open the door. I know you probably have the owner's manual in the rear cubby to improve weight distribution, but reading it might not be such a bad idea.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I like the idea! But mainly because thats what we have in the Vert...thats why its quieter than the coupe too...
Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You didn't buy a conventional sedan or even a Corvette convertible...the Corvette coupe doesn't have a "trunk." It has a 'cargo area.' I respect your idea but I see only disadvantages (restricted visibility, no access to 'cargo' from the seating area, obstructing stereo speakers, restricted or no emergency ingress/egress, possible negative air-flow/wind with the windows down, claustrophobia ). Obviously, if you like the idea go for it. Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

"OK I have now found two more people who didn't spend nearly enough time learning about their cars."
Yep, you got that right!:o I forgot about the release cable!

Last edited by jackcasa; 04-03-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 PM
DossC6
Advanced

wouldn't work for me.
I only close my hatch when I have a towel in my hand.
What would I do with the towel if I couldn't toss it in the cargo area?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 PM
jaykinky
Intermediate

Behind the seat pouches?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

FWIW. . .

Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

If you could sounproof a partition similar to Exotic Vette's and then soundproof the cargo cover you would basically do what you're suggesting without completely separating the two compartments.

I think a plastic divider behind the seat is likely to look chintzy.

Last edited by C-INRED; 04-03-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 AM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in '05 when the C6 first came out, I bought a "divider" from someone here on the forum. I wish I could remember who it was, because to this day it is one of the best "mods" I ever did. With the Cargo Cover in place and the rear hatch closed, the cover touches the top of the divider perfectly. You can still store your roof panel with the divider in place. It's late now, but if requested I could post pics tomorrow. I think this divider would give you what you are looking for.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:16 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Think the view thru the rear hatch is restricted or distorted now? Wait till you add another layer of glass or plastic.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There are a couple of sound deadening kits (pre-cut materials) available that will reduce the road noise significantly. Do the passenger compartment as well and heat from the exhaust is reduced.

If you install a complete partition, it might be like driving an El Camino with a canopy on the back.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

I like all the input, thanks.

My situation is a little unique. I have a rear license plate video camera which shows me a very wide view of whats behind me. But I'm thinking carpeting a full partition with a small rectangular window in it for the rear view mirror sight.

I personally don't feel that "sports car feeling" as much with the cargo area so open like that & i would find it more pleasurable to block all that noise as well.

I also like the idea of being a little different & unique, as many Vette owners do I think it might give it a shot.

Steve from NY

Last edited by vettemann62; 04-04-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Go out and do some illegal and get thrown in the back of a police car. That should give you some ideas on what the partition should be like.....
Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR LAT
Back in '05 when the C6 first came out, I bought a "divider" from someone here on the forum. I wish I could remember who it was, because to this day it is one of the best "mods" I ever did. With the Cargo Cover in place and the rear hatch closed, the cover touches the top of the divider perfectly. You can still store your roof panel with the divider in place. It's late now, but if requested I could post pics tomorrow. I think this divider would give you what you are looking for.
Like this one from Exotic Vette

Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
vettephyxer
Instructor

I could be wrong, but if your using run-flat tires you are going to have road noise. I think the folks that suggested sound deadening insulation are in the right ball park. As far as not wanting to have the feeling of a big open space behind you, I aggree. I bought one of those aftermarket bin/divider combinations and my car already had the black stretch cover over the cargo area. I don't have the feeling of sitting with the cargo at all. As for road noise, I did notice a slight reduction after installing the bin/divider. Just a suggestion, make sure you get the divider that you don't have to remove to store your top.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think about a FULL divider to separate the cabin from trunk

Quick Reply: What do you think about a FULL divider to separate the cabin from trunk