Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
PBChase
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Valve Stem Caps - Impact on Tire Pressure Sensors

I just replaced all four tires on my 05 C6 at Big O Tire here in Northern California. When I was washing the car I noticed that the aluminum valve stem caps had been replaced with gray plastic ones. I called Big O Tire and they told me that metal caps are not a good idea on cars with tire pressure sensors - something to the effect that the metal to metal contact (stem to cap) will cause corrosion at ultimately impact the sensors.

Does this make sense to anyone??? Why would Chevy put aluminum or chrome metal caps on from the factory if this is the case.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Thanks in Advance.

Peter Chase
PBChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
bob guzzy
CF Senior Member

I think the different color and shape caps are just a warning to the uninformed they are tire pressure sensors in this tire, I have both style caps on three of my cars, the corvette has metal caps my truck had plastic caps and rubber stems.

I have a few sets of sensors some have meatal and some have plastic, there is a difference in the valve stem core, it needs to be nickel plated so it will not interfere with the transmitter.
bob guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!

Tell them you want your factory original caps back, or they can buy you a new set.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Fonzijr1964
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Tell them you want your factory original caps back, or they can buy you a new set.
had a flat a month ago and the tire place took my cap but i got it back........ After i had to by the 5 buck replacement
2007 Black Corvette Convertible 3LT
2011 Cosmo Blue Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Fonzijr1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Knob Jockey
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBChase View Post
...........I called Big O Tire and they told me that metal caps are not a good idea on cars with tire pressure sensors - something to the effect that the metal to metal contact (stem to cap) will cause corrosion at ultimately impact the sensors.......
Total

If you use a cap made of a dissimilar metal you can get corrosion making it difficult to remove the cap.

There will be no other negative impact to the TPMS, just the threads on the stem.

OEM cap is aluminum so WTF. How about the metal nut that holds the TPMS/stem to the wheel.

Sheesh.
Knob Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
spin-doktor
CF Senior Member

biggest pile of ive ever heard.
spin-doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
fieldskr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBChase View Post
I just replaced all four tires on my 05 C6 at Big O Tire here in Northern California. When I was washing the car I noticed that the aluminum valve stem caps had been replaced with gray plastic ones. I called Big O Tire and they told me that metal caps are not a good idea on cars with tire pressure sensors - something to the effect that the metal to metal contact (stem to cap) will cause corrosion at ultimately impact the sensors.

Does this make sense to anyone??? Why would Chevy put aluminum or chrome metal caps on from the factory if this is the case.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Thanks in Advance.

Peter Chase
Most TPMS Service standards strongly suggest servicing the actual sensors any time the bead is broken between the tire and rim. Obviously, this would also hold true when mounting new tires.

To properly "service" your TPMS sensors, the following items are replaced: Valve Stem Cap, Schrader Valve, TMPS Gasket, & TMPS Mounting Nut. These TPMS service parts come in a nice little kit. In most cases, the TPMS Service Kits come with a plastic valve stem cap vs. the aluminum cap.

I found all this out by chance. I had a TMPS sensor self destruct at speed about two weeks ago. Unknown to me, my front sensors were secured to the wheel with bands and 3M tape. One of the bands broke, and the tape was useless at holding the TPMS sensor in place. I bought two new sensors, the proper sensor mounts (I-Forged has nice ones), and 4 TPMS sensor service kits (the rear sensors were properly mounted, but I did the service on them anyway). The new sensors come with the aluminum valve stem cap (didn't use plastic in service kit), but DO NOT come with a new mounting nut. For this, you must buy the service kits, or use the old one.
fieldskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Mike's LS3
CF Senior Member

The value stems are antennas for the tire sensors and the oem caps are recommended. Some aftermarket caps can cause interference. I would get the oem caps back on.
Mike's LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
beden1
CF Senior Member

The GM ones that came with my '09 ZO6 were aluminum over a plastic cap. They were a total POS! The over cap would strip when trying to tighten onto the tire stem. I lost one of them 2 days after I bought the car. I ordered a quality set in chrome from a CF vendor, and have not had any problems with my tire sensors.
'09 Chevy ZO6 Corvette; '01 Chevy Corvette; '86 Chevy Corvette
beden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
wolfdogs
CF Senior Member

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.

crock of chit...........

just dont mix metals...

if you have an aluminum valve stem cap then its totally compatable with the valve stem and no corrosion or interference will take place. I replaced mine with aluminum waterfall embossed caps right after i got the car, no problems at all.
My partner: Keona, 80% wolf. *Keona passed away 7/20/2014. Had wolfdogs since the late 80's but Keona was my soul wolfdog. My new pup will be born in the spring of 2015.

Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves......

wolfdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
TBD
CF Senior Member

OMIGOD!!!!

Peace, out!
TBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
PBChase
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone. I am going to get my stock aluminum caps back!!!!
PBChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
Force-1
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Albuquerque, NM "I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I have these US flag caps on my C6 (and my other 3 vehicles), no problems with TPMS.

Click the image to open in full size.
Force-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
haljensen
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

From the '05 Helms Manual; Page 3-393

"the cap is aluminum and the valve is nickel plated to prevent corrosion and are not to be replaced with a cap or valve made of any other material'.
haljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Wass
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I've had my C6 for 4.5 years, over 60,000 miles, DD all year except snow covered roads. No corrosion, no problems.
Wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
cclive
CF Senior Member

Schrader makes the TPMS sensors and they put the aluminum covers on, so there's just no reason to think that the aluminum caps aren't just fine.
cclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's LS3 View Post
The value stems are antennas for the tire sensors and the oem caps are recommended. Some aftermarket caps can cause interference. I would get the oem caps back on.
With all due respect...I don't think so.
Lingenfelter 403 Conversion, LG Pro Headers (coated), Corsa Sport Exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, Accusump, LGM Coil-Over Suspension & Bump-Steer Kit, T1 Sway Bars, Pfadt Control Arm Bushing Kit, Elite Eng. Tunnel Plate & Oil Catch-Can, SKF Racing Hubs/Bearings, AP Racing Brakes, DRM Brake Ducts, Custom Roll Bar, Sparco Seats, Wide-Booty, CCW C10 Wheels,
Setup: LG Motorsports

Thanks to: 21st Century Muscle Cars
Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
talon90
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

The tire place was partially correct. There is a potential problem with metal valve stem caps with the Corvette TPMS and integrated valve stem and this is noted in the service manual. The OEM caps are aluminum with nickel plating. Any other metal or any other plating you are increasing your risk for corrosion.

There is the very real possiblity for for galvanic corrosion to form. Galvanic corrosion is a reaction to dissimilar metals in contact with each other. The further two matrials are on the galvanic table, the larger the likelihood there is for corrosion to form.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
rmp
CF Senior Member

Where do I get these service kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldskr View Post
Most TPMS Service standards strongly suggest servicing the actual sensors any time the bead is broken between the tire and rim. Obviously, this would also hold true when mounting new tires.

To properly "service" your TPMS sensors, the following items are replaced: Valve Stem Cap, Schrader Valve, TMPS Gasket, & TMPS Mounting Nut. These TPMS service parts come in a nice little kit. In most cases, the TPMS Service Kits come with a plastic valve stem cap vs. the aluminum cap.

I found all this out by chance. I had a TMPS sensor self destruct at speed about two weeks ago. Unknown to me, my front sensors were secured to the wheel with bands and 3M tape. One of the bands broke, and the tape was useless at holding the TPMS sensor in place. I bought two new sensors, the proper sensor mounts (I-Forged has nice ones), and 4 TPMS sensor service kits (the rear sensors were properly mounted, but I did the service on them anyway). The new sensors come with the aluminum valve stem cap (didn't use plastic in service kit), but DO NOT come with a new mounting nut. For this, you must buy the service kits, or use the old one.
rmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
bonnell
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzijr1964 View Post
had a flat a month ago and the tire place took my cap but i got it back........ After i had to by the 5 buck replacement
I am missing one of the originals. Can I get a replacement at the dealer?
bonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Valve Stem Caps - Impact on Tire Pressure Sensors