Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
diverdan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hyperflash Smyperflash!

I was hesitant to make the change to LED Tail lights and DRL lights because of the often discussed and much cursed hyperflash. The thought of adding thermite charge load balancers ready to melt anything they touch (or at least that's the amount of heat they put out if you believe everything you read here ) really gave me pause to do it.

I decided to do a test and put in the LED DRL lights with no load balancer and guess what: the flash rate is hardly noticeable! Only a smidgen faster. Having DRLs that are amber during the day, white when the headlights are are on, and flash white to amber when a turn signal is activated with the headlights is way cool.

I guess I'll order those LED tail lights.

2009 Blade Silver Metallic Z06 - 2LZ, Halltech Killer Bee/Bee Hive CAI, Corsa X-Pipe, Muffler Mod, M2W, CAGS Defeat, Elite Engineering Tunnel Plate, CCA Catch Can, PAL, Dynamat/Madvette/Blockit Insulation kits, APSIS Front Splash Guards, HID Fogs, LED Upgrades, BA Speaker Upgrades
2012 Graphite Shadow Infiniti G37XS, HID Fogs

2007 Arctic Silver Porsche Carrera S - Gone
2002 Quicksilver Z06 - Gone
2002 Black C-5 Coupe - Gone
2005 Black CTS-V - Gone
2004 Red GTO - Gone

diverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Swiftrider08
CF Senior Member

When you install the rear LED's you will have even less load on the system and might still get hyperflash.
Swiftrider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
diverdan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I considered that. At least it's easier to install them in the back.

2009 Blade Silver Metallic Z06 - 2LZ, Halltech Killer Bee/Bee Hive CAI, Corsa X-Pipe, Muffler Mod, M2W, CAGS Defeat, Elite Engineering Tunnel Plate, CCA Catch Can, PAL, Dynamat/Madvette/Blockit Insulation kits, APSIS Front Splash Guards, HID Fogs, LED Upgrades, BA Speaker Upgrades

2005 Black CTS-V - Gone
2004 Red GTO - Gone

Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
ghostrunner
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The easiest and safest thing to install is a LED flasher unit instead. Don't have to worry about resistors getting hot and burning something if they touch something. No splicing wires.

With the LED flasher unit just unplug stock one and plug the new one in and it is all over with. Everything works fine. They are listed here half way down the page. Easiest thing I found for fixing the problem with no issues

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
ghostrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
SEVINN
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

SEVINN
Send a message via AIM to SEVINN Send a message via Yahoo to SEVINN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrunner View Post
The easiest and safest thing to install is a LED flasher unit instead. Don't have to worry about resistors getting hot and burning something if they touch something. No splicing wires.

With the LED flasher unit just unplug stock one and plug the new one in and it is all over with. Everything works fine. They are listed here half way down the page. Easiest thing I found for fixing the problem with no issues

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
Never seen these before, thanks for the info. Just for the record, which one would we need?
SEVINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
ghostrunner
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVINN View Post
Never seen these before, thanks for the info. Just for the record, which one would we need?
Will have to look for my bill from them for number but it was the one for GM. What I did was go to auto parts store to see one for the car and matched it up from picture. I also called them to make sure was right ne.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
diverdan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If you could post the model number of the unit you have in your car, it would be great.

I had been led to believe the vette didn't have a flasher relay, it allegedly did it in the computer.

2005 Black CTS-V - Gone
2004 Red GTO - Gone

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
ben dover
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
I was hesitant to make the change to DRL lights
Are these the 7443 switchbacks?
ben dover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
ghostrunner
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
If you could post the model number of the unit you have in your car, it would be great.

I had been led to believe the vette didn't have a flasher relay, it allegedly did it in the computer.
I haven't done it to the vette yet, I have only done it to my pickup so far. And works very well.

You might very well be right because I haven't looked into the flasher unit on the car yet. That would definitely make things harder to do if no flasher unit was on the car and would have to use the resistors for sure.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
ghostrunner
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:

Well you just ruined my day. Called the parts store and talked to them and they said same thing, no flasher unit on a vette. Since putting LED's and one of the flashers on my truck thought I had the easy solution for the car when I decided to put the LED's in.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
j_digi454
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrunner View Post
Well you just ruined my day. Called the parts store and talked to them and they said same thing, no flasher unit on a vette.
That is correct unlike the C5, there is no flasher. Because of this, I used the load resistors for my LED tail lights. Without them, there was hyperflash and it wasn't just a little faster, they flashed very rapidly.

I was interested in the switchbacks as well but didn't get them because of 2 issues:
1. There really is no room for load resitors to be easily mounted and I didn't want to mount them externally.

2. They are only white if you have your lights on, I wanted them white for my DRL's during the day and they will be yellow during the day unless you turn on your headlights which defeats the reason I wanted them.

2007 C6 Coupe A6
Monterey Red, Two-Tone Ebony/Titanium, Polished Wheels
3LT, F55, NPP, PAL, E-Force, 160* Thermostat, MSD Wires, ARHeaders & Hi-Flow Cats

1970 Corvette Bronze C3 Coupe 454/LS5 - Sold
j_digi454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
diverdan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben dover View Post
Are these the 7443 switchbacks?
That appears to be them.

I got them from forum vendor jw@jwmotoring.

2005 Black CTS-V - Gone
2004 Red GTO - Gone

Old 11-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
TommyV
In Vette We Trust
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Sandy Eggo/ Mods: Vararam, LG Pros, Corsa Sports, CoW tune, 160, Koni FSD's, Nitto Invos, DBA 5000 rotors, Pipedreams

The Eagle Eyes L.E.D. tail lights load resistor is encased in 1 1/2" block of resin. It gets warm, but not hot.
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
diverdan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Who sells the Eagle Eyes, other than eBay? (I don't do eBay)

I looked at their site and couldn't find that they made LED Tail lights for the C6 (or any Vette), which is odd since they clearly do.

2005 Black CTS-V - Gone
2004 Red GTO - Gone

Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:

I looked at their site and couldn't find that they made LED Tail lights for the C6 (or any Vette), which is odd since they clearly do.
I also bought the 'Eagle Eyes' LED tail lights off of *bay for $279 shipped and they look great and NO Hyperflash. They are on there sold by various 'middlemen'. Do a search. I created a thread with lots of pics of my Cyber Gray showing the stock ones compared to the 'Eagle Eyes' LED ones.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 11-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.
ncvette_1FUNRIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
TommyV
In Vette We Trust
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Sandy Eggo/ Mods: Vararam, LG Pros, Corsa Sports, CoW tune, 160, Koni FSD's, Nitto Invos, DBA 5000 rotors, Pipedreams

Quote:
You can buy them from a forum sponsor under another name, but the are the same, and will cost you $100 more.
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Hyperflash Smyperflash!

Tags
c5, c6, corvette, ctsv, daytime, eagle, eye, flash, flasher, hyper, hyperflash, led, light, lights, running, tail