C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York State Window Tint Laws

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 PM
09zx6r
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New York State Window Tint Laws

I am trying to get some advice in reference to a ticket I received driving on interstate 90. I had an inter-transit registration that is supposed to be in the rear window, so the New York State Trooper pulled me over and asked me why my inter-transit registration was in the front and I told him that's where the dealership put it.
So he mentioned "well could it be due to you having 5% tint in the back window and if you put it back there you would be able to see it"?
So he gave me a ticket for my tint which quoted "sidewings/sidewindows/non/trasnprnt"

Here's my question, I was reading online that you can have any darkness in the rear window and that when the trooper gave me the ticket he didn’t use the detector that states exactly how much light goes through the window.

So should I plead not guilty and protest it that he did not follow procedure???

I am hoping some NY state troopers chime in to give me some great advice. Thanks again everyone!!!

Mike
Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

The back window can as dark as You want. The drivers and pass windows have the restriction. I have a limo company, my towncars rear doors can have 5% because it does not restrict the view of driver. THe ticket you quote says side windows. I think legal is 75% now but im not sure. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 PM
09zx6r
Instructor

I guess my question is in order to have to pay the fine the officer would have had to put the number of percent of light that goes into the front two windows and he didnt?!?!?!?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

According to this site, it's 75% for sides, no restriction on rear.

LINK
Old 06-26-2010, 08:59 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sides have to be 35%, any lower # is illegal.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by 09zx6r
I am trying to get some advice in reference to a ticket I received driving on interstate 90. I had an inter-transit registration that is supposed to be in the rear window, so the New York State Trooper pulled me over and asked me why my inter-transit registration was in the front and I told him that's where the dealership put it.
So he mentioned "well could it be due to you having 5% tint in the back window and if you put it back there you would be able to see it"?
So he gave me a ticket for my tint which quoted "sidewings/sidewindows/non/trasnprnt"

Here's my question, I was reading online that you can have any darkness in the rear window and that when the trooper gave me the ticket he didn’t use the detector that states exactly how much light goes through the window.

I am hoping some NY state troopers chime in to give me some great advice. Thanks again everyone!!!

Mike
Hey Mike
Im not a trooper but your post starts by you saying " I had an inter-transit registration that is supposed to be in the rear window" and then you proceed to say " registration was in the front and I told him that's where the dealership put it. What did you expect.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 PM
09zx6r
Instructor

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
Hey Mike
Im not a trooper but your post starts by you saying " I had an inter-transit registration that is supposed to be in the rear window" and then you proceed to say " registration was in the front and I told him that's where the dealership put it. What did you expect.
Ok thats kewl what you had to say.......but first off the trooper was a rookie because he stated that you couldnt have any tint in the rear window, so I will be taking it to my military jag and having them take care of it. I am glad that you are able to quote me that is outstanding by the way
Old 06-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this even about a corvette?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
2003VETT
Melting Slicks

Location: Still the Fastest (still running) Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont forget to factor in the OEM tint percentage...
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
09zx6r
Instructor

yes I have a 2008 Corvette Coupe
Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Mike

Back window tint is fine. As long as they can see in both side windows and no tint allowed on front unless done under a doctor’s Script!

Sounds like he did not know the law or how to write up a transit ticket. If you’re military he should have let you go with a little talk.

Went through this a few times with the cops with my show truck.
FWIW trucks do not even need a back window let along dark tint as long as you have a side mirror on both sides of vehicle! (do not need inside back mirror either)
Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Nothing under 70% on the side windows is legal in NYS. The troopers are nothing but a ticket generating machine. He should not have written you.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 PM
09zx6r
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97Black
Nothing under 70% on the side windows is legal in NYS. The troopers are nothing but a ticket generating machine. He should not have written you.
That is what I was thinking also, but you cant tell that to the cop because he is always right. I am thinking of going to see the chief of that station and have them drop the charges
Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

That is what I was thinking also, but you cant tell that to the cop because he is always right. I am thinking of going to see the chief of that station and have them drop the charges
Interstate 90 covers a lot of ground in NYS. Where were you. The farther from the cities the better for less gung ho enforcement
Old 06-27-2010, 01:49 PM
09zx6r
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Interstate 90 covers a lot of ground in NYS. Where were you. The farther from the cities the better for less gung ho enforcement
I was about 20 minutes short of Albany going towards Syracuse on
90W......
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

I was about 20 minutes short of Albany going towards Syracuse on
90W......
The troopers in that area (Troop T) are based right in Albany. I normally consider them reasonable to deal with. Too bad you got a greenhorn.

Possibly your military involvement might help when/ if you talk to the boss at the cop shop. We have had a few changes at the top of the State Police recently and I do not know much about the top cop now! Possibly outlooks have changed.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Plead not guilty. However, I don't think your argument about the tint meter use will be accepted. Go to this site: http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1

and read the opinion that is shown in a hot link near the bottom of the page http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...684774&p_olh=0 .

It addresses use of the tint meter.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To New York State Window Tint Laws

Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM
odysseus1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

I believe in most states only the courts or Sec. of state can drop the charges. If you can, I would go to court in uniform and the judge WILL dismiss the charges. Good Luck ,stay safe and have fun.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Ok thats kewl what you had to say.......but first off the trooper was a rookie because he stated that you couldnt have any tint in the rear window, so I will be taking it to my military jag and having them take care of it. I am glad that you are able to quote me that is outstanding by the way
Sarcasm.................Very nice.
Welcome to the forum( June 2010)
You post a question
You indicate that you know that the plate should be displayed in the rear window yet you question why a rookie cop gave you a ticket because he could not see the plate in the rear window. Who is the rookie now (June 2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
odysseus1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
Sarcasm.................Very nice.
Welcome to the forum( June 2010)
You post a question
You indicate that you know that the plate should be displayed in the rear window yet you question why a rookie cop gave you a ticket because he could not see the plate in the rear window. Who is the rookie now (June 2010)
He didn"t state that he knew that the plate should be displayed in the rear window ,before the fact of being stopped,just that it is the legal place to display it in N.Y. state. Nice jumping to conclusions, do you do this all the time?

Quick Reply: New York State Window Tint Laws