C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 AM
dissapointed
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

How much it costs? If I go for GM extended warranty, are there any strings attached to it?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Read all about it
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by dissapointed
How much it costs? If I go for GM extended warranty, are there any strings attached to it?
The price can vary a lot, depending on which dealer you deal with. Are you keeping it a long time? You are already covered for 5 years on the powertrain. Are you going to be going over on the mileage? You need to factor all this info in and weigh it against the cost of the extended protection.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to be taking a lot of road trips and putting some miles on this car. I decided to take the extended warranty simply because I plan to keep the car for the long term.

When I was told about the extended warranty by the dealership's finance guy, I was able to negotiate the deal down to less than half price.

I figured that if the computer fails after 5 years or so, it's only going to cost me 50 bucks as opposed to 2000.

If I do decide to sell the car sooner, the warranty is transferable and can be used as a selling point for the car.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I got my GMPP extended 'insurance policy' from Forum Vendor Ken Fichtner, best price I could find anywhere, by far.

Send him your VIN and he will send you a long list of options (miles/years/deductibles) and prices to select from.

You must purchase this before your OEM warranty runs out.

No strings attached unless you don't read the policy and you're surprised when something isn't covered.

If you never need it then maybe the peace of mind isn't worth the expense.

Definitely a personal choice.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I did the added 4/48 on mine because I figured that it will only take one problem to come up to break even. This way, for a reasonable price, I have an added 4 years of use of the car with no worries whatsoever. Dennis Fichtner did a great job with it and I waited until the very last day of the 3/36 to sign up. Quality guy...they don't get any better.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually get a GMPP from Fichtner after a few year's of ownership. His pricing's good, sometime's a $150 forum discount and nix the sale's tax if out of state. Paid $1200 to extend my 06' till the end of 12'. Car will probably be fine, but normal aging thing's like a leaky A/C compressor shaft seal can eat that up in a hurry. The $150 forum discount isn't just for Vettes, as my dad got it on his daily Buick too.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dissapointed
Read Johndrake's link (post #2). Good Information.

I don't keep my car's longer than the GM warranty. So, for me it wouldn't make sense. If your buying a pre-owned car or intend to keep the car for a very long time, it may be a sound investment.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer44
You are already covered for 5 years on the powertrain.
What exactly does the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty cover?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
What exactly does the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty cover?
didn't you get a warranty book with your car?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I got my GMPP extended 'insurance policy' from Forum Vendor Ken Fichtner, best price I could find anywhere, by far.

Send him your VIN and he will send you a long list of options (miles/years/deductibles) and prices to select from.

You must purchase this before your OEM warranty runs out.

No strings attached unless you don't read the policy and you're surprised when something isn't covered.

If you never need it then maybe the peace of mind isn't worth the expense.

Definitely a personal choice.
That's how I did all three of my vette purchases. Ken's good people to deal with.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Any extended warranty is a crap shoot. If you need it for something relatively serious, or for a lot of minor things, then it pays off. I've actually used mine for some minor things already.

If you never use it, then it isn't worth it beyond peace of mind.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Between me and the wife we have bought over 40 new GM vehicles since 1970 and never had an x warranty. Was not worth it as we turned vehicles over every 2-3 years.

Retired and was not putting on as many miles driving and I held on to my loaded 04 Silverado 4x4 3/4HD till the last day of Dec 09. Bought a NON GM truck, my first ever!

That GM POS cost me big time. Replaced all sorts of expensive parts and even though the truck was paid for in 2 years the expenses of keeping it running were ridiculous.

I have a 07 Z06 and major parts and electronics are not cheap, for the first time I bought a X warranty for my Vette. Ken F. gave me the best price I could find, no one else was within a couple hundred dollars.

The selling dealer of the Vette was ridiculously high and would not budge O WELL!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM
wxman2003
Advanced

Every car that I have owned over the last 30 years never had any major problems after the original warranty expired. On average, I owned each vehicle for 7 to 8 years before selling. If there was a major problem, it always occurred within the first year of ownership, which was covered by the original warranty. The only real expenses I have had were new tires, brakes, headlamps and a few other normal wear and tear items. Never had a computer go on me, a transmission problem or major engine problem. This is even with the crappy cars of the 80s. The amount I saved over the years by not purchasing an extended warranty paid for all the normal wear and tear items, with money left over for fun.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Extended warranties are best bought for USED cars (like the Corvette or other pricey-to-fix vehicle) you really like/need and intend to keep for a long time.

In my past, I have bought and USED extended warranties for used cars. My experience included two blown out transmissions (different vehicles) and a blown head gasket. They've easily paid off for me so far.

If you buy new all the time and turn over vehicles frequently, don't bother.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
wxman2003
Advanced

It also depends on how well the used car you are buying was maintained and treated. The 2005 C6 I bought only has 24,000 miles on it, and the previous owner kept a complete record of all maintenance. He even left a phone number with the dealer I bought it from, and I talked to him before buying. The previous owner never took it out in the winter, or drove it in the rain. One could eat off the engine it is so clean. Now none of that means this car wont have problems, but at least I know it was well maintained over the last 5+ years. Since it is out of warranty, getting a non GM extended warranty is way too pricey and a crap shoot on what would be covered anyway.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Despite often keeping a good car for 8 or more years I've never bought an extended service contract on any vehicle. Like any form of gambling it might payoff but unquestionably the odds are with the house. If you plan on keeping the car well beyond its OEM warranties it might be worthwhile. Like any insurance buy it for your peace of mind...chances are it won't be worth it monetarily.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Statistically speaking, x warranties are not worth it. But a few people do come out ahead. I prefer to keep my money and deal with things as they come up.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
GregC6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also check out www.insurancepoliciesonline.com
Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I plan on keeping this car as long as it lasts if there is such a thing as average lifespan for a Corvette.

My other car (daily driver) is now 22 years old and going strong.
(I hope the Corvette can last as long)
I never thought I would have it this long 225,000 but of course no warranty would cover it now anyway.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?