C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 868 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
The lower radiator support in it's current form has been in use on the Corvette since the introduction of the 1997 model year car. You are now the third person that I know of that has broken one. I'm guessing that if it were a "frail piece of junk" that we would have heard a little more about it with over 425,000 cars produced with that same part in those model years. Probably worth noting that it is not a skid plate and not intended to be impacted from the bottom. It is a support and intended to have a compressive load on it from the top (ie, the radiator) not necessarily the weight of the car pushing up on it from the bottom.

Curious, How is it breaking? That support is more than 12" off the ground and even at full suspension travel it would not impact the ground. I don't think that bottoming out is really the root cause here.
I've never broken any on the C5-C6's that I've had...but I have hit them hard on the street quite a few times. Typically coming out of a driveway or side road angled down T-ing into anaother road. I keep a can of semi-gloss Rustoleum paint handy to touch them up as needed.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
For future reference, the support/skid plate is aluminum and can easily be repaired with a weld...no reason to replace is for three or four hundred dollars, it can be taken to a place that welds aluminum and fixed for around 25 dollars...depending on where you live....proably more in New York city and less in Kansas.

...no reason to replace is for three or four hundred dollars,

Unless you support the Corvette tax.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a different point of view. Our car are pretty low and I think it's designed to be the first thing you hit if you drive too far over a curb or parking bumper. It may be called a "radiator support" but I think it's more of a crash brace.
Think of it, if the part of it that hangs down on each side wasn't there, what do you think would eventually stop you when you went to far? Better that then the oil pan or expensive suspension parts. I also think it's designed break or distort if crunched too hard so as not to transfer the energy to more expensive parts.

I replaced one on a C5 that was distorted when I bought the car. It wasn't too hard to replace but like a previous poster mentioned it had a lot of wiring going through the webbing. You just need a little patience and a few hours to take it off and put it back on.
The following users liked this post:
salt6 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow! Some really critical comments here. I drive several cars and ocassionally forget the bumper is out there so far. I usually stop so far away my wife thinks I'm nuts. I was careless once and barely scraped the underside of my facia before stopping. I did not go far enough to hit the aluminum skid bars and got one really thin scratch (lucky).

Someone said the rails are the same on the C5 and C6. Is that technically correct? It sure seems my C5 had rails that were attached differently than my C6. I've read posts here that said not to use the little rollers, because the new C6 design isn't sturdy enough to take the loads the C5 rails could handle.

I agree we should stay off the curbs and steep drive entrances, but sometimes a small error in judgment on clearance or stopping distance can be really expensive if the rails are not strong enough or easily replaced.
johng99 (08-04-2021)
Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Sinister Evil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a simple "do it yourself" fix. I wouldn't buy a new one, unless the support is broken in places that are not at joints where there are old weld marks. Most of these are breaking at the supports where GM did a ****ty weld job. Just take it to a shop that does welding on aluminum and have them reweld the supports back together and bend it back into form. I would recommend you remove the front air dam and the wheel well liners. i would also get the side marker light and some other wiring out of the way by disconnecting them so that the support can be dropped. It really is not that bad. If you have a 13mm long socket and ratchet with an extension and a short 13mm socket, you will be okay with removal of the support. you will need a flat head screwdriver to remove the plastic snap bolts on the air dam center piece and wheel well covers. I have the radiator resting on a wood block while my car is on jackstands waiting for the piece to come back. I'm going to sand it and paint it and slap it back in and be more careful about how fast I hit bumps, parking stops, curbs etc.......
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
One thing I did notice on mine, the wires for the fog light or side marker light (can't remember which) were put right through the webbing of the aluminum (for lack of a better word) and I couldn't pull it (the support frame)out as the wireing was holding it, I had to reach up and hack it off......
Disclaimer: The car was purchased with the damaged support, I have owned 8 or 9 C5's and 3 C6's and never broke one myself.
That wiring thing is really wired - I have had the rad support off my car a couple of times to adjust the plumbing for my blower and the wiring is not routed as you describe here - some one must have been messing around at assembly time....
Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Man
I would probably stop running over stuff and hitting the curb. There is no way your "Bottoming out" on the road. Your either hitting driveways too fast or at the wrong angle or your running it over parking curbs / stops.

Remember, driving like a crack head cost money.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Whether or not driver error is a factor I don't know but damaging the radiator support is not a common occurrence. The fact its made of aluminum instead of steel does not mean its a piece of junk...there's a reason its made of aluminum. From reading your posts it seems you're unhappy with the C6. Perhaps the F150 would be better suited to your needs.

BTW my friend at Surplus Armor Technologies has been working on an after market solution for this problem. It's a prototype but I think it holds promise for protecting the C6 radiator mount.

Thats perfect! For clowns that can't slow way down for driveway. I pass on the steep ones . Figure I don't need in there that bad.
There a few that have broken them. But they drive hard and don't make good choices sometimes. Can you get the OP a discount?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

Skid Plate????

You must have the Z71 option from the Silverado!!

My Z71 Silverado has skid plates. Need to make a Z51/Z71 option.

If you dont hit it on anything it wont break. Im pretty sure with any low slung sports car that we normally get compared to you would break things if you run the bottom of the front end into them.

Ive scraped mine a couple times but you can NOT think of it as a skid plate
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Whether or not driver error is a factor I don't know but damaging the radiator support is not a common occurrence. The fact its made of aluminum instead of steel does not mean its a piece of junk...there's a reason its made of aluminum. From reading your posts it seems you're unhappy with the C6. Perhaps the F150 would be better suited to your needs.

BTW my friend at Surplus Armor Technologies has been working on an after market solution for this problem. It's a prototype but I think it holds promise for protecting the C6 radiator mount.

I kinda like it. I bet it wouldn't add much weight if it was made of alum...oh, nevermind.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I have wheels on mine, which has helped me get out of my driveway for the past four years without scraping up the lower fascia badly; but the other day I parked too close too a curb and hit the wheels, breaking the welds on the support at the frame bracket. So the wheels won't help always. I'm going to try and get this weded back together since a new one from Gene goes for about $330.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
qcdoc1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Damn there are some bad replies here.. I dont drive like a crack head and I do try to watch for those steep entrance/exits...
However there is the time the wheel came off the truck and I didnt have time to avoid it.. and then the time I didnt realize the exit of the gas station had a deep gutter line...then there was the other day turning around in the church yard, a freakin hole that I didnt see:eek :
So I have torn up 3, I have a template and can repair it my self. The wheels actually helped when it went thru the hole in the yard.
So anyway you are not alone and FYI the welding from GM sucks SO to all those who want to talk trash ez does it...
Old 09-22-2010, 02:01 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by qcdoc1
Damn there are some bad replies here.. I dont drive like a crack head and I do try to watch for those steep entrance/exits...
However there is the time the wheel came off the truck and I didnt have time to avoid it.. and then the time I didnt realize the exit of the gas station had a deep gutter line...then there was the other day turning around in the church yard, a freakin hole that I didnt see:eek :
So I have torn up 3, I have a template and can repair it my self. The wheels actually helped when it went thru the hole in the yard.
So anyway you are not alone and FYI the welding from GM sucks SO to all those who want to talk trash ez does it...
Yea, the welds are just spot welds, easy to break. Could be that GM designed it that way so the welds are the first break point.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The official GM name for this piece is as the OP typed it, a Radiator Support Skid Plate. Here, check it out at Gene Culley's site:

http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Feel free to ignore the facts and continue with the stupid remarks as needed!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Someone might make money by building a jig to re-weld them precisely, then either doing a rapid repair or an exchange program.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
The official GM name for this piece is as the OP typed it, a Radiator Support Skid Plate. Here, check it out at Gene Culley's site:

http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Feel free to ignore the facts and continue with the stupid remarks as needed!
If you run into something and damage a part of the car it's operator error, not a design or parts name flaw.

Should fenders and bumpers be made stronger so people can't damage them by running into things?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Default Fangs

Hi,
SacCityCorvette has a product that will allow the skid plates to just slide on what ever they bump into. Sliding is much better than just digging into what the skid plates are rubbing against. The Fangs slide instead of the bare aluminum digging in and trying to tear off the skid plate/lower radiator support. They are called Fangs and they are 6 times more abrasion resistant then steel, also they are very impact resistant. Plus you only loose 1/8 inch of ground clearance.
And they are lighter and look better then Wayne O's cool setup.
The Fang are the best available protection you can buy.

Here is a link to a couple videos of us trying to trash them.
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/See-t...n-Action-.html

Here is a link with the full low down.
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/C6-Fangs.html
Attached Images   

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 11-03-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Hi,
SacCityCorvette has a product that will allow the skid plates to just slide on what ever they bump into.

Too bad you didn't post this sooner. Then the stupid posts in this thread would have been bashing a forum vendor and they'd be gone.

I think your product looks like a good idea. That probably makes me a "reckless" "crack head" "clown" who "should be driving pickup truck."
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Hi,
SacCityCorvette has a product that will allow the skid plates to just slide on what ever they bump into. Sliding is much better than just digging into what the skid plates are rubbing against. The Fangs slide instead of the bare aluminum digging in and trying to tear off the skid plate/lower radiator support. They are called Fangs and they are 6 times more abrasion resistant then steel, also they are very impact resistant. Plus you only loose 1/8 inch of ground clearance.
And they are lighter and look better then Wayne O's cool setup.
The Fang are the best available protection you can buy.

Here is a link with the full low down.
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/C6-Fangs.html
Do you need to remove the bracket to install these?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2005 MY with 40,000 miles. Mine has never broken. We both have the same "horrible" design, so why has mine not broken? What could be the difference between your car and my car?

Corvette + Driver1 = Broken Support
Corvette + Driver2 = OEM Support
johng99 (08-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!