C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic system to raise car front end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hydraulic system to raise car front end?

Has anyone ever done one of those hydraulic suspension systems (aka low rider hopping car things) to temporarily raise the front for clearance? Not looking to change the ride or handling at all and not interested in low rider hopping crap, just a button to raise it for sloped garage clearance. The one that was installed on Jay Leno's E85 Corvette was a complete suspension rework that cost over $8,000 and the side benefit is the clearance issue. At that price, I'd rather have a supercharger. I talked to them and they have no way to shrinking it to work and cost less. He said air bags is another option but the way the Vette A arm is they could not find any that would work. I just want something simple to hit a button the raise it a couple inches.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:28 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'd like to see this... It would totally freak out about 95% of the Corvette owners on the forum.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Not looking for a 'trick' car, but just something to get the nose up for pulling in and out of the garage. I don't want it to jump up, just ease up and ease down, nice and smooth, no slamming, hopping, twisting or any of that crap.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Anyone else?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Some other sports cars have that feature, Lamborghini for one. I would like to have it. 60lb of S/C on the nose even with the front raised a bit I still drag pretty bad at times.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
DBR9 KLR
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Pratt & Miller make exactly what you're talking about. They have it on the C6RS. I tried to find a video of it to post but couldnt find one, but they have a ride control that has small bags that raise and lower the front end like an inch and a half. Jay Leno was showing me how it worked on his about 6 months ago. I have no idea how much P&M would charge or if they sell this part directly to the public or not but you could start with them.

You could try:

Chris Ladouceur at P&M
248-446-9800 or cladouceur@prattmiller.com
Old 09-10-2010, 11:53 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the idea and understand what you're trying to do, however, I think a system like this would totally comprise the handling of the car. there would be a lot of weight added and the car would probably oversteer like crazy
Old 09-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
Has anyone ever done one of those hydraulic suspension systems (aka low rider hopping car things) to temporarily raise the front for clearance? Not looking to change the ride or handling at all and not interested in low rider hopping crap, just a button to raise it for sloped garage clearance. The one that was installed on Jay Leno's E85 Corvette was a complete suspension rework that cost over $8,000 and the side benefit is the clearance issue. At that price, I'd rather have a supercharger. I talked to them and they have no way to shrinking it to work and cost less. He said air bags is another option but the way the Vette A arm is they could not find any that would work. I just want something simple to hit a button the raise it a couple inches.
I'm not so sure about that....the Pratt & Miller C6.RS uses the Arvin Meritor Dynamic Height Control (air bladder) suspension. They seem to make it work.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 AM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

I mentioned above that I ready talked to them and it's 8 grand. Arvin sold it off to Pratt. It's a complete suspension redo which just happens to provide the raising as a side benefit. I talked to the guy about a 'stripped' down version just to lift and said they are not interested.

The only thing I can think of is adding a hydraulic extended on the shock which is what the low riders do, but I'm afraid it might not handle the hard cornering and power typical of corvette.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:39 AM
mtmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KW sells a system

Its called KW HLS (Hydrolic lift system)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92uc...next=1&index=2

Greetings,

Mark
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtmark
KW sells a system

Greetings,

Mark
Thanks. I will look into it. Looks promising.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by mtmark
KW sells a system

Greetings,

Mark

Jawohl !! A little German Engineering for our American Icon.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Lamborghini system uses the power steering pump and fluid. Ties into the shocks absorbors and is expensive system to repair.

Old school hot rod was air shocks with a small compressor. Not sure what I would think of these shocks on a road handler like a Vette. Maybe with coilovers and nitrogen you could make something work.

Semi trucks use an air bladder system (for weight) not necessarily ride height.

Good luck on this mod.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Well here is the ugly answer:

The Jay Leno system is by Pratt and starts at $8,000 as it is a race designed full suspension setup with the side benefit of raising to avoid speed bumps, etc. Too Expensive for my solution.

KW HLS is a coil over shock replacement with their system and runs $6,000. Too much for me.

RideTech is an air system, good or bad does not matter as they guy said they do not have anything for C5 or C6 that these is just not enough clearance for their system. They have one there to play with, and it just won't fit. Just front lift would be around $2,000 if they could fit one.

RamLiftPro is a hydraulic system designed for coil-over but he has not done a Corvette one yet. He plans to, but when looking at it the clearance is tight. He said his system is $1,500 but you have to provide the coil-over and make sure it fits. He said it should but until he has time to do a system specifically for the Corvette, he will not guarantee. He has no date for his complete Corvette solution so could be many moths or years. He said expect coil-overs to run a couple thousand for all 4 plus his part brings it to maybe $3,500. I still don't really want to spend that much for a solution even if I got a benefit in handling. For that amount, I would be almost half way to the Edelbrock supercharger, which I would enjoy much more.

That is all the solutions I could find and no good answer for me. Just too much $$$ for my blood. So for now, I guess I will just have to live with the scrapping as I pull in and out of the drive.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 PM
vbv
Heel & Toe

I am seeking a similar answer; thinking about using the simple air shock (Gabriel makes one, I believe) as a one-to-one replacement up front to clear the driveway "hurdle". Provides perhaps a two inch "window" - anyone give this some thought?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:06 PM
OIIIO
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hydraulic system to raise car front end?

Maybe better to change your driveway.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default It has been done...not sure how much

Originally Posted by vbv
I am seeking a similar answer; thinking about using the simple air shock (Gabriel makes one, I believe) as a one-to-one replacement up front to clear the driveway "hurdle". Provides perhaps a two inch "window" - anyone give this some thought?
Andy82 is forum member and his beautiful Z06 is very customized to include a system to raise his front end

Last edited by ezrider4u2; 10-03-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic system to raise car front end?

Old 10-04-2015, 03:49 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Sorry I can't add more

There is a Japanese(I think) company that makes aftermarket (air) shocks designed for exactly this, i.e. raise/lower the front end for easier driving/parking but that's all I can recall.............
Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 AM
Loujay2010
2nd Gear

Default ilift has system

i am waiting for info on system
Originally Posted by mickeykelley
Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

JRI Shocks makes a hydraulic unit that attaches to their coil over shocks that raises your car 2" to 3" hydraulically. Looks to be a compact unit. I sent them an email yesterday but haven't heard back from them yet. Not sure their hydraulic attachment is compatible with their Corvette shocks.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic system to raise car front end?